winter22
2SidedPolygon

Social Media

winter22

Con

Life survived well before we ever had technology, now it seems like teenagers need it every day, but did you know about the side-effects? Social media has greatly become more popular over the years, thanks to teenagers gaining more and more technology. There have been studies done that show social media in a negative light. Although many teens today find social media interesting and fun, it is the root of many problems for teenagers.
2SidedPolygon

Pro

Lots of claims here. Would you like to back a single one of them up?
winter22

Con

Use of social media is taking big emotional and mental tolls on teens. "Negative," says that American University, the research found a link between negative body image and social media, especially among girls. They are bombarded by edited photos that insist they must be perfect. This evidence helps to prove my claim because social media was found to be linked to negative body image. This is an emotional and mental thing that no kid should go through, but they are more because of social media. Edited photos of "perfect girls" are always being seen around in ads, but now it is spreading more through social media. When a girl comes upon it, it could greatly decrease their self-esteem, taking a big emotional toll. The article "Negative" says "It has been linked to increased anxiety, depression, and decreased relationship skills." This evidence helps to prove my claim because the research from this article states that social media has been linked with many negative traits. Increased anxiety and depression have come from social media before, and both are emotionally and mentally exhausting. Decreased relationship skills is another thing that has come from social media. It is bad for many people and it has started now to come from social media. These types of traits developing when teens use social media more often is not a good sign.
2SidedPolygon

Pro

Firstly, link the article you're referring to. It's hard to assess your source if I don't know what it is. Second, these traits developing more in teens with the rise of social media is, firstly, the fallacy of post hoc ergo procter hoc (After, therefore because of), secondly, more likely the result of a massive change in culture. If anything, I'd argue school is a much bigger cause of depression, social anxiety, etc.
Bullying is a massive problem, and simply getting rid of social media won't fix it. While cyber-bullying is a problem, it seems wrong to attack the medium which it's done through, rather than the bullying itself. If social media were to vanish, there would be unprecedented amounts of social and economic backlash. Social media gets businesses off the ground, builds relationships, along with other things.
Cyber-bullying is a problem, but you're blowing it up far beyond the proper proportions, and, again, the medium through which it's done through isn't the issue we need to be attacking. Also, when it comes to self-esteem, firstly, you haven't linked this research, but let's assume it's true for the sake of argument. Self-esteem is something easily damaged by seeing people who look better than you, are better at something, etc., and on platforms like social media, edited photos of perfect bodies are commonplace. Yes, this is an issue, but again, self-esteem issues go much deeper than that. It's not as simple as "social media did it". Issues with it are much more complicated than an explanation that simple. Again, we need to be getting to the root of the problem. These self esteem issues could just as easily be caused in an environment like school.
Overall, your issue in thinking seems to be that solving complex problems like depression, anxiety, self-esteem issues, etc. is just removing social media, but the positive effects of social media far outweigh these problems that I'm skeptical social media is the main cause of for the most part. And again, think of all the joy and happiness social media has brought. What has social media done? Subreddits and websites have prevented suicides, inspired massive social movements, formed long-lasting friendships, brought people new information, and allowed us to have this debate.
If you think getting rid of social media is going to fix such complex issues, then you're not grasping the weight of these problems. Then there's me. I have first-hand experience. I'll be honest, sometimes I feel like I'm bordering on depression, but let me tell you, social media is one of the things that makes sure I'm still bordering. I've never been hurt on social media like I have in environments like school. It's brought me so much personal happiness, and perhaps that's the reason why I'm so defensive of it. You're not just attacking social media, you're attacking a massive coping method and part of my life. Getting rid of social media won't fix these issues, but if there's one thing that can, I'll tell you. Two words: Social media
winter22

Con

First off, I'm sorry I will link it next time to make it more convenient for everyone. Secondly, yes I agree school could be a huge factor in the growth of these traits as well. But it's more than just a coincidence that these traits for teens are becoming more prominent as social media grows more popular.
Bullying is a massive problem in our world today and often causes depression and worst of all suicide. Bullying is prominent in schools, I get what you are saying there, but with social media, others can go even more behind people's backs and spread rumors like never before. I have had first-hand experience with this, my friends don't often use social media. But once my friend got Instagram and learned that people at our school had been spreading intense rumors about her in comments. They knew that she had not been on it before, so they didn't even bother to hide it. This caused her anxiety to peak and she has only come down a little since. Her parents made her delete it within the next few days.
Taking away social media will not get rid of this problem entirely, but it will take a huge portion of it out. Cyber-bullying is often underproportioned for what it can do, I am not blowing it out of proportion. Many people think very little of it compared to bullying within schools. Cyberbullying can do lasting harm to anyone who has had it happen to them. The article http://www.bullyingstatistics.org... doesn't just state what I have said before, that it can lead to depression, and suicide. But it also states that when things are posted on the internet, they never actually go away and can be reused by cyber bullies over and over again. This article also states that "Over half of adolescents and teens have been bullied online." Considering how many people there are out there in the world, this is a great number. Getting rid of social media will help prevent this.
Considering how successful getting bullies to stop is at this point in our society, which is very rare trust me I know, I think this is one of our best options as of right now. Before social media came to be known, there was less bullying, still much more than there should be but less than right now. Social has helped to skyrocket these numbers, causing more and more death to teens.
Self-esteem is not as simple as social media did it that is correct, I agree. But I'm not just saying that. With social media, it is even easier to spread VERY photoshopped photos of oneself or another person. Social media is not the one who did this, but the platforms are allowing these photos on and ruining self-esteems. I understand that people should be able to show what they want on their accounts, but if it's hurting someone should they really be allowed to? These issues could be easily seen in schools though it would take a lot more to do this. Yes, you might see a prettier girl in school than you and want to change, but really these people take just as long to get ready as you if you actually listen to them. But on social media, you can't always confirm this.
Self-esteem issues, depression, and suicide will not be solved just by taking social media away, but it could be the first step in a long process. If we go down first to the bullies, then they may actually take more to social media and do what they can before they get caught. By taking away social media they will be limited to schools, and people tend not to want to confront someone face to face.
Social media has brought many great things to the world, I have even gained some internet friends with it. But I have also found my share of horrible people who are simply looking for trouble. Websites have been able to prevent suicide a lot more, but we also have suicide hotlines for that. I am not saying I am not grateful to these websites for helping so many people, but if we did not have social media we would not need these websites as much. Social media has provided a lot more bad things to my friends who already had depression and anxiety than good. They have taken a downfall, leaving me and my other friends to try and help them back up, even coax them back into therapy. This is also why we have therapists, some people do not like the thought of talking to some random person. But these people are meant to help you, they have the training for it. Social movements have been helped a great deal by social media, but do you remember Martain Luther King JR and his marches? They did just fine without social media and caused one of the greatest social changes in history. In my history class we just recently watched the movie, Selma, about Martain Luther King JR and his work on the town of Selma. The things that they were able to accomplish there without the use of social media and just with their words and letters and announcements they sent out was amazing.
Long-lasting friendships developed by social media are amazing, and I personally have two myself. But the option of talking with complete strangers brings about a whole different can of worms that I am going to lightly talk about. This website http://www.chroniclet.com... talks about just one of the dozens of abductions that have been linked with social media. Kids have been proven to feel better about sharing personal information online to people, even when they have been reminded hundreds of times not to. My friend also had a run in with this, nothing happened to her but something could have. One day she was playing around with an app called QuizUp! and suddenly this person messaged her saying "hi." she went to the profile and determined it was a guy (from the looks of it). She responded with a "hi?" already cautious. He asked how old she was (she was 14 at the time) and since she knew that she shouldn't give out the real age she said 13, she was going to show her parents that this guy was talking to her. He responded with "You're too young for me. I'm going to have to stop talking to you now or something bad will happen." Social media has helped to bring about many child abductions, even though some lasting friendships can be made.
Another bad thing about social media is the fact that continuous use of it, like 12 hours a day, like every teen nowadays has been linked with lower GPA. Source: http://www.browndailyherald.com...
As for your experience, I am sorry that you feel that you are on the cutting edge of depression. But this means that you should get help and medicine. Social media probably won't be able to "cure" you forever. My mother has depression as well, and her medicine does not cure her either, but it helps a great deal.
2SidedPolygon

Pro

It's more than just a coincidence that these traits for teens are becoming more prominent as social media grows more popular", actually, if you look at the graphs for social media use and teen depression/suicides, there isn't much correlation to be seen. It can be concluded that teen depression is probably caused, for the most part, by a change of culture and people's mindsets rather than social media.
"once my friend got Instagram and learned that people at our school had been spreading intense rumors about her in comments", the irony here is that you're trying to debunk my claim that schools can bring more depression than social media, then say that the people from their school were spreading the rumors. Don't criticize the medium, criticize the source of the problem.
As for cyber-bullying being the problem that it is, fair enough, though again, it's much easier to be hurt by a real person than some anonymous figure you see online. Social media makes it easier to spread criticism, yes, but the difference between social media and other mediums? You can stop. You don't have to check Twitter every day, nobody's forcing you to check Instagram. As for people not wanting to confront people in person, you're out of your mind. I've experienced it many times, saying people don't want to confront you face-to-face is ignorant. And it's not like I'm small. I'm 6 feet tall and people are saying things to my face.
As for the abductions you mentioned, this is shockingly rare, and, unless you're an idiot online, you're not getting abducted. When it comes to social media leading to poor grades, that's not the social media, that's people over-using it rather than being responsible.
And, finally, your conclusion that social media should be taken away...
WHAT THE FU---
*Breathes in*
Socialization
Helplines
Entertainment
Friends
Education
Spreading messages
Being up to date
Bringing about the rise of entire industries
Causing unprecedented innovations
And changing the entire world as we know it forever. Now, thanks to social media, SpaceX is getting people to Mars so we can change the next world.
If you think getting rid of it is a good idea, then to be honest, I don't have a response.
winter22

Con

You have brought about some great points pro-social media, things that I will think about for a while. You have also defended your position nicely, good job. It really sounded like you did your research despite not providing any sources.

But some tips for your next debate:

You said that I should include my sources, but you did not provide any, even if you do end up winning it might help you in the long run. Providing sources makes your evidence stronger and more sufficient.

Also, I think that your ending is a little non-respectful. I try and be respectful to everyone in my debates because to be fairly honest most of these debates are just for fun. I understand that you have a strong opinion about this, but that doesn"t mean you can"t be respectful of it. The ending of "WHAT THE FU--" was uncalled for, and swearing was uncalled for too.

Until the votes role in, good luck you provided a great debate
2SidedPolygon

Pro

I suppose my ending was a bit uncalled for, which is my bad, but anyway, good debate. As for my sources, I didn't really make any claims that had a source. Maybe my claim that the statistics don't line up, but still.