HoppoWoppo
eZminT

Socialism is a flawed ideology

eZminT has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

HoppoWoppo

Pro

I will be presenting that the concept of socialism is not only unethical in ideology, but flawed in practice
eZminT

Con

I'll let pro explain their position...

How is socialism *flawed in practice*?
And how is it a *flawed ideology*?
HoppoWoppo

Pro

My argument today will focus on one main point. Firstly, socialism, at its core is not an ethically justifiable way to run a government - or any system.

I will discuss the practicalities of socialism in the next round. Good luck.

Firstly, the concept of socialism, as defined by the dictionary is not an ethical system. At its basis, socialism prioritises the majority over the minority. It is an ideology that believes that the needs of a society are far greater than the needs of the individual, and it is here that I believe it to be unethical.
All decisions have consequences, both positive and negative, and when making a decision, both sides must be considered. Under socialism, these positive and negative results are considered with the volume of impact i.e whilst option B is the more moral option, Option A results in fewer people being affected and thus it is a better option. Now this may seem to be a good decision making process; the volume of people affected determines the volume of effect right?
It is here I would disagree. My main disagreement is that decisions should be made purely on morals. The volume of impact on a group of people or person is not - and never can be - weighted on the number of people impacted. For example, if legislation was passed that doubled the minimum wage, businesses simply wouldn't be able to cope. These businesses include pharmaceutical companies or energy providers. None the less, the workers must now receive the minimum wage and thus energy is not generated and life saving medicines no longer produced.
I appreciate the economic argument is not one full of morals, yet it effectively demonstrates socialism"s flaws. Here I would like to introduce a further argument. As soon as the freedoms of one person are interfered with for the benefit of many, any argument for socialism falls down. This is demonstrated through a trolley problem. By pulling the lever and killing the one, society has decided that value of human life is weighted on numbers. What if the one was a world renowned surgeon, responsible for delivering complex operations in third world nations, whilst the five were rapists and murderers. Is pulling the lever still a moral decision?
If a decision, economic or not, is made with a socialist point of view, then I struggle to see how it can also be made with morality and ethics in mind. Thus I believe that socialism is unethical and as a result, a flawed ideology.
Posted by Thoht 3 years ago
Thoht
Topic implies there exists a governmental system without flaw.

You have your work cut out for you Con.