Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
billsands
Sonofcharl

Socialism means free ice cream

billsands

Pro

Human needs are Human rights, I need ice cream, With chocolate syrup and sprinkles
Sonofcharl

Con

It only means free ice cream if there is ice cream to be had.

And chocolate syrup and sprinkles might be pushing it a bit too far.

Capitalism ensures ice cream with chocolate syrup and sprinkles.

Recent history suggests that socialism will probably have you standing, Waiting in a long queue for something that will probably run out before you get to the counter.
billsands

Pro

Maybe in Venzuela, But what about nORWAY? AND AND THERE YOU GET FREE FISH AND SALAD OIL. . LOTS OF OIL
Sonofcharl

Con

There's socialism and there's pseudo-socialism and Norway is far from socialist.
billsands

Pro

I think you need to study the properdefintion of Socialism, I might ask you to give me a proper defintion. . High taxes for redistirbution, Much state ownership and collective wealth strong labour laws and genrous welfare state. If you actually knew more about Norway youd see it is Socialist in very real ways I think Singapore also proves this point. In Singapore, The state owns 90 percent of the land and over 80 percent of the homes while posting high levels of income and growth. In Norway, The state owns 76 percent of the non-home wealth while also remaining very productive. Now imagine if you combined them.

The one thing almost all strands have in common is the idea that collective ownership of capital within a relevant economic unit is a key socialist principle. So to the extent that a country is a relevant economic unit and Norwegians own 76% of their non-home wealth collectively through a democratically-elected state, It would be fair, I think, To describe it as the most socialist country in the developed world.

Sonofcharl

Con

A political and economic theory of social organization which advocates that the means of production, Distribution and exchange should be owned or regulated by the community as a whole.

The emphasis being on the word theory.

Karl Marx realised that true socialism could only be regarded as a transitional social state before it succumbed to the influence of natural social hierarchy.

If Norway is truly socialist why does it have a hereditary monarchical head of state?

If Norway is truly socialist why does it have capitalist, Multi- billionaires.

Standard of living maybe comparatively higher in Norway but there is still nonetheless a wealth and ownership hierarchy, Which is undoubtedly a direct contradiction to the theoretical principles of socialism.

In short; Singapore is probably best described as a moderate authoritarian state. Which is once again a direct contradiction of the theoretical principles of socialism.

Put a group of people on a desert island and they may well cooperate at first, But an inevitable hierarchy will eventually develop. It's basic human nature.

Human nature negates true socialism, Because there are always those that will lead and there are always those that wish to be led.
Posted by Sonofcharl 3 years ago
Sonofcharl
It was never proved that "Socialism means free ice cream".
Posted by billsands 3 years ago
billsands
the other side ignores that i want free ice cream i said nothing about absolute equality or heirarchy all i want is free ice cream, So i win
Posted by Chronosofwisdom 3 years ago
Chronosofwisdom
Five bucks says Billsands is actually a 10 year old. I have no idea how he has ever won a debate in his life.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
"I might ask you to give me a proper defintion. "

You spelled definition wrong and you didnt give one either.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Ice Cream isnt a human right. . . Dumb@ss
Posted by Ku4nt3m 3 years ago
Ku4nt3m
I didn't know socialism will get me chocolate ice cream. . . I'll go get my red shirt with the star thingy and go to protests now, Thx
Posted by KoolAidCobain 3 years ago
KoolAidCobain
I agree. More socialism, More ice cream!
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
This debate is a waste of time.