BennyW
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2

Socks are underwear

BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 has forfeited round #3.
Started: 7/27/2018 Category: Fashion
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

BennyW

Pro

I will take the affirmative that socks are in an article of underwear. My opponent will take the opposite position. Absolutely no forfeiting as that breaks the debate. First round for acceptance.
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2

Con

I accept this debate, Though the resolution seems a little far fetched.
BennyW

Pro

I think to start off with, I should first define the terms:
Underwear: clothing worn under other clothes, Typically next to the skin.

Socks:a garment for the foot and lower part of the leg, Typically knitted from wool, Cotton, Or nylon.

The definition of socks is a pretty specific description, However, I argue that it actually is a subset of the first definition. Does my opponent disagree that as sock is "clothing worn under other clothes, Typically next to the skin? "
Socks are an article of clothing worn under shoes "another article of clothing, Albeit a very unique article. What is clothing but something with which to cover your body? Do shoes not meet this definition? If they do and I assert they do, Then in what way would socks not qualify as underwear? Just as underwear is not meant to be worn without something over it, So too are socks not meant to be worn in such as fashion (although in both cases it is done, It is not considered proper dress outside one"s own home).
I await my opponent"s reply.
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2

Con

Here are my first rebuttals, First off, "The definition of socks is a pretty specific description, However, I argue that it actually is a subset of the first definition. Does my opponent disagree that as sock is "clothing worn under other clothes, Typically next to the skin? " But you took the basic definition of a sock out of context, Just because a sock is a "a garment for the foot and lower part of the leg, Typically knitted from wool, Cotton, Or nylon. " It only means that a sock is a sock, Not that a sock is a pair of underwear, It's just plain nonsense.

"Socks are an article of clothing worn under shoes "another article of clothing, Albeit a very unique article. What is clothing but something with which to cover your body? Do shoes not meet this definition? If they do and I assert they do, Then in what way would socks not qualify as underwear? Just as underwear is not meant to be worn without something over it, So too are socks not meant to be worn in such as fashion (although in both cases it is done, It is not considered proper dress outside one"s own home). " A shoe may be covering your feet, Which are covered in socks, Of course they do, Why would imply that they don't? A Sock is different than underwear, With that being said, A sock and a pair of underwear are covering two separate sections of the body, The sock is only covering the legs and feet, While the pair of underwear only covers the crotch and groin area.

If you are committed to prove your BoP, At least show some context, And if you do that, You would find yourself to be wrong. Plus, You did not give a link to the definition of the sock, In this case, I didn't expect you to.
BennyW

Pro

I think my opponent misunderstands. He says "A sock and a pair of underwear are covering two separate sections of the body". By underwear I mean it is worn under clothes. Just as box shorts and panties are just as much underwear as bras and undershirts even though they cover different parts of the body. So just as a bra or underpants cover different parts of the body, But are still underwear, So too a sock covers a different part of the body but is also underwear. Underwear is not defined by the part of the body it covers but by its relation to other clothes.
My opponent also says I didn't show a link for my definition of socks although he seems to have accepted the definition I offered. I will provide the link for the definition of sock and shoe at the bottom (they are the definition Google offers, If my opponent wants to offer a separate definition with a linked source, This is his last opportunity to do so). I thank my opponent for his rebuttal and await the final round.

https://www. Google. Com/search? Rlz=1CAACAY_enUS777US778&ei=BopaW7mcK8uV0gKswKqgBA&q=socks+definition&oq=socks+definition&gs_l=psy-ab. 3. . 35i39k1j0i7i30k1l7j0i7i10i30k1j0i7i30k1. 2331495. 2333048. 0. 2333328. 7. 7. 0. 0. 0. 0. 125. 693. 0j6. 6. 0. . . . 0. . . 1. 1. 64. Psy-ab. . 1. 6. 691. . . 0i67k1. 0. UEdkQmpObAk
https://www. Google. Com/search? Rlz=1CAACAY_enUS777US778&ei=JpNaW6fIDcuA0wLcjoYg&q=shoe+definition&oq=shoe+definition&gs_l=psy-ab. 3. . 0i20i263k1j0i7i30k1l9. 110993. 111525. 0. 112514. 4. 4. 0. 0. 0. 0. 206. 543. 0j3j1. 4. 0. . . . 0. . . 1. 1. 64. Psy-ab. . 0. 4. 539. . . . 0. GTnA_61kqnI
Posted by melcharaz 2 years ago
melcharaz
basically you are discussing the semantics of "underwear"?
Posted by BennyW 3 years ago
BennyW
That's just great. It says my opponent's account has closed. That means he will forfeit and the debate will freeze. This is why I don't use this site much anymore.
Posted by BennyW 3 years ago
BennyW
It's a very important issue. One of the biggest questions of our day.
Posted by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 3 years ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
Why is this a debate?