DylanTheGreatk
unbiasedman

Sports are not a waste of time

unbiasedman has forfeited round #2.
Started: 6/9/2018 Category: Sports
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

DylanTheGreatk

Pro

A common opinion is that sports are a waste of time but right now I'm gonna argue that it isn't. The human body is meant to be active and there's no better way to be active then to play sports! Sports are something that you can always keep improving at sports often take a lot of teamwork or individual skill and sports are something that over billion people enjoy. To build pro sports stadiums you need to spend a lot of money but millions of of people go to sports games and watch them on tv. Everyone human wants to have fun and there's no better way to have fun then to play and watch a sports game! You can prove my points wrong but as a con you need to persuade me that sports are a waste time
unbiasedman

Con

Sports can cause a child to fall into a pattern of rationalizing unacceptable behavior. A good example is the athlete who becomes so competitive that he/she will do anything to win, convincing himself/herself that the ends justify the means.
A few sports foster a culture of violence. Such a misguided culture too often spills over into barbaric acts in and out of competition, and also produces a copycat reaction among some impressionable young athletes.
Sports can produce an unhealthy level of stress in a child, particularly a child who is pushed to excel and who feels a failure with every loss.
Sports can produce irrational, boorish behavior among parents and athletes.
Sports can produce many athletes who are negative role models.
Sports can produce many coaches who are negative role models.
Sports can produce many parents who are negative role models, especially those who overvalue athletic achievement.
Sports, even team sports, can promote selfish behavior.
DylanTheGreatk

Pro

Posted by DylanTheGreatk 22 seconds ago
DylanTheGreatk Feeling bad after a loss can be tough but it can also make you strive to become better so I believe that feeling bad after a loss can be good thing. Star athletes help inspire kids to become better and practice so I don't believe they are bad role models.1 half of people in the world die from heart problems so sports would save more lives then it would kill. If kids can't handle competitive sports leagues then they could practice with friends or go down to less competive sports leagues and running is a sport and running is something you need to do every day. If there's many different options of sports so if you want to play something that isn't dangerous then you could do something like soccer or just run And it's human nature to do anything to succeed. My soccer team use to lose all the time but now we win almost every time and please remember that sometimes we want to do something that's fun that isn't video games
Posted by DylanTheGreatk 3 years ago
DylanTheGreatk
I guess my opponent gave up
Posted by DylanTheGreatk 3 years ago
DylanTheGreatk
Wtf I posted in the wrong spot
Posted by DylanTheGreatk 3 years ago
DylanTheGreatk
Feeling bad after a loss can be tough but it can also make you strive to become better so I believe that feeling bad after a loss can be good thing. Star athletes help inspire kids to become better and practice so I don't believe they are bad role models.1 half of people in the world die from heart problems so sports would save more lives then it would kill. If kids can't handle competitive sports leagues then they could practice with friends or go down to less competive sports leagues and running is a sport and running is something you need to do every day. If there's many different options of sports so if you want to play something that isn't dangerous then you could do something like soccer or just run And it's human nature to do anything to succeed. My soccer team use to lose all the time but now we win almost every time and please remember that sometimes we want to do something that's fun that isn't video games
Posted by DylanTheGreatk 3 years ago
DylanTheGreatk
Running and weightlifting can be sports too
Posted by 32doni32nido32 3 years ago
32doni32nido32
I wouldn't say sports are a waste of time, but mostly that people could be doing different things like learning. I myself have played a variety of sports in the past and enjoyed them (I still do), but I don't find them to be as important as many other things. With your argument of sports being beneficial because of the activity and movement required; however, someone could simply run, lift weights, or do other exercises rather than play a sport.
They are also much more dangerous that many other activities. Of course, this can also be dependant on what is being played. Though I myself have never played football which is considered to be very dangerous, I have participated in things like hockey, basketball, baseball, soccer, and gymnastics. I broke two fingers because of hockey (though I still haven't quit) and ended up with many sprained ankles (I have very flexible joints). Fortunately everything is fully functional (except for my brain, of course ;D) and it hasn't affected my drawing or instrument playing.
Posted by DylanTheGreatk 3 years ago
DylanTheGreatk
Since debate.org seems dead I'm not sure if anyone is gonna be a con
Posted by Nd2400 3 years ago
Nd2400
Good topic.

But I'm on the same side.