itzdominic
mertdebate

Swimming is most definitely a sport

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Started: 5/24/2021 Category: Sports
Updated: 2 months ago Status: Voting Period

itzdominic

Pro

Despite what many people say, Swimming is a sport. The literal definition of a sport is" an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others". Competitive swimming is made up of teams, And involves physical exertion, And involves skill, The list goes on. Swimming may not be a physical contact type sport, But it involves racing as well as competing against other teams. For people saying swimming is "too easy" to be a sport, You are also wrong. Swimming is an all-body exercise, Meaning that when you swim you are working our every muscle in your body. Also, Swim practices are not just swimming back and forth, Swim practices involve breath control, Sprinting, Distance, Drills, Working on technique (like stroke, Diving, Flip turns, Etc), And much much more. To say swimming isn't a sport would, In theory, Be saying other sports including cross country and track are not a sport, Because they work on the same sort of stuff (except of course the fact that those sports are on land). That is why swimming is and should be considered a sport by everyone. Anyone who disagrees, Feel free to debate.
mertdebate

Con

swimming is not a sport because its not something competitive your learning and its not an affair its just an activity to do so its not considered to be an sport more like an activity. Its mostly an exercise its like saying punching a bag is a sport the only difference between them is that your move your arms forward and back in swimming and in boxing its al about pushing your arms
itzdominic

Pro

Ok. So to start yes swimming is competitive. In competitive swimming, No only do you compete against other teams throughout the state, But you compete with yourself and your best times. Also, You claimed it's mostly "an activity", How is competing against other teams and people for ranking just "an activity". Swimming is more than just moving your arms forward and back, You need to learn how to perfect all the different strokes (backstroke, Butterfly, Breaststroke, And freestyle), How to pace yourself, How to have breath control, And a lot more. Like I said before, Swimming fits the definition of a sport, So why wouldn't it be considered one?
mertdebate

Con

as the other team corresponded to my sentence 'how is competing against other teams and people for ranking just "an activity "to start of swimming is not an football game, Or an baseball game you don't compete for two hours straight like those athletes do, So how much of a sport can it be? It doesn't matter that just about every muscle in your body is being utilized in order to propel you through water which is measly 800 times denser then air. How can it be a real sport if their is no punching? Or ramming into each other on this point alone swimming can't be legitimately considered a real sport
itzdominic

Pro

I don't think you are familiar with competitive swimming. Previously you claimed "you don't compete for two hours straight as those athletes do", Well that is absolutely not true at all. Competitive swimmers have a competition once, Twice, Sometimes three times a week, And each competition lasts from around 7 am to 2 pm. You also claimed "It doesn't matter that just about every muscle in your body is being utilized in order to propel you through water which is measly 800 times denser than air", Well that's not true either. Now you were correct with most of it, But you do realize that when you are swimming you are using your arms to pull your body weight through the water, And yes although water is denser than air, That is still difficult, Especially when you are trying to make sure you are staying afloat and have a good stroke all at the same time. Finally, You said how can it be a real sport if there is no physical contact, Well I have a question for you, Do you consider sports like track, Cross country, Volleyball, And tennis actual sports? Looking back at my starting argument, You will see the definition of a sport as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others", Nowhere does it say a sport needs to involve physical contact.
mertdebate

Con

as my fellow opponent stated 'Well that is absolutely not true at all. Competitive swimmers have a competition once, Twice, Sometimes three times a week, And each competition lasts from around 7 am to 2 pm. ' the reality is You hop into a chilly pool, Splash your arms around for a minute, Maybe two, Maybe 4 or 5, And then off to the hot tub. Yeah, Anybody can do that! The kicking, Arm thrashing and cannon-balling into a pool. Piece of cake. Never mind the 20+ hours a week, The countless number of hours staring at the black line, The thousands and thousands of flip turns, The early mornings, The late nights, The full weekends. Anybody without a will of iron and a commitment that veers into partial insanity could absolutely do it.
itzdominic

Pro

Maybe you are right about anyone being able to do "Arm thrashing and cannon-balling into a pool" (except competitive swimmers don't cannonball into the pool), But the hard thing about swimming is perfection. You can't just get in the water and immediately be able to do all those things perfectly, You actually have to practice and participate to get better. To say swimming is a "piece of cake" is completely false. Swimming may be easy for people not looking to go anywhere with it, But people who are really there to compete, They train tierlessly every day. Still don't belive me? Here are a few links you should check out:

https://www. Instagram. Com/p/CPS-N6YH7wD/? Utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www. Totalsportek. Com/list/most-difficult-sports-in-the world/#:~:text=Swimmer%E2%80%99s%20lower%20body%20%28legs%29%20and%20upper%20body%20%28Arma%2C, One%20the%20hardest%20professional%20sport%20in%20the%20world.

https://aquamobileswim. Com/why-swimming-is-considered-one-of-the-hardest-sports/

http://www. Alabamawritingtutor. Com/Swimming. Html

Also, You never answered my question. I previously asked " You said how can it be a real sport if there is no physical contact, Well I have a question for you, Do you consider sports like track, Cross country, Volleyball, And tennis actual sports". Finally, Last year I placed 2nd in new york state for my age group, So I know a thing or two about swimming, And I'd like to see you jump in a pool and automaticly be an amazing swimmer. Swimming is hard, And swimming is most deffinetly a sport.
mertdebate

Con

Never mind the 20 hours a week, The countless number of hours staring at the black line, The thousands and thousands of flip turns, The early mornings, The late nights, The full weekend anybody without a will of iron and a commitment that veers into partial insanity could absolutely do it. Maybe. And just like how anybody who can run can out-sprint Essen Bolt, Anybody who has had taken a swim lesson can totally beat Michael Phelps!
So in sum: Swimming is absolutely, Totally, Completely not a sport.
Posted by itzdominic 2 months ago
itzdominic
why is the voting period so long and how to I change it lol
Posted by mertdebate 2 months ago
mertdebate
ı also believe its a sport but sadly im con
Posted by Leaning 2 months ago
Leaning
@itzdominic
I feel doubt that his arguments are meant in full seriousness,
Seems likely to me they are meant more as partly jokes,
It 'really seems a difficult topic to take the Con side of, To me.
Hence the semi serious arguments by Con, I assume he's in the debate more for the devil's advocate position, Than.
Posted by DrTim 2 months ago
DrTim
Alright so I'm a swimmer in high school and I can tell you first hand that swim is definitely a sport. It might not be as popular as basketball and football, But swim is 100% a sport.
Posted by mertdebate 2 months ago
mertdebate
i didnt try i just wana test it
Posted by Hezikiah 2 months ago
Hezikiah
Is playing golf a sport?
Posted by Leaning 2 months ago
Leaning
I don't really see why most people would disagree with calling swimming a sport.