CaesarAugusto
ABoleman

THBT parents should monitor children's social media

CaesarAugusto has forfeited round #2.
Started: 7/21/2018 Category: Technology
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

CaesarAugusto

Pro

Ladies and gentlemen,
Thank you for taking the time to read this debate.
I will be accepting any opponent, please debate with me on this!!!!
I am going to begin by defining the model, and then I will get into my constructive points.
By 'parent' I mean a guardian or a responsible adult. By 'monitor' I mean to screen for material that could be inappropriate or harm to the child's welfare. By social media, I mean communication via the Internet.

Social media is used by millions of people worldwide. It is a simple and easy way to share the highlights of your life with your friends and family. However, many a danger come with such a thing. Perhaps you believe that your child is responsible enough, but not everyone in the world it is. For those with harmful intentions, social media is the perfect trap in which to catch their prey. It is frighteningly easy to post an image, video or message that children could see. For example, using an innocent hashtag that children might follow.
Another thing we see too often is cyberbullying. It's so easy to do: a click of a button. The bully does not need to have any face-to-face contact with the person. Many children take this on themselves. A solution to this problem? Parent monitoring. I by no means am stating that ALL privacy should be invaded, as children deserve their own space, but I personally believe that safety takes priority.
For these reasons I am proud to propose.
ABoleman

Con

Forgive me if I am wrong and not adequately on the opposing viewpoint of your expressed opinions. You did not clarify what you were considering a child, other than being dependent on a parent or adult guardian. A child can be 2 years old or 17 years old.

I will teach my child about the dangers of the world, including not "taking candy from strangers" nor meeting with people you met online or sharing personal information. If my child was young as in under 15, I am going to be actively involved in their lives, both inside & outside of school if they are not physically present with me, I will insure that I have confirmation of where they are be it an extracurricular activity they are participating in, or physically confirming with the family they are staying with. While I do agree that social media can be an easier platform to be exposed to numerous potentially disturbing things, I want to have a relationship with my children where these things are discussed openly and with honesty. Since you didn"t explain what you meant as a "child", it"s hard to really state exactly where I stand.

When I was 8 years old, my parents gave me a cell phone. When I was 11 or 12, I had a Myspace account and my parents knew about it. They didn"t monitor me nor try to make me delete it. They just told me the risks online and let me know if I had any questions to ask them first. I had a group of friends who didn"t get cell phones, they were not allowed to have Myspace or be on the internet without being monitored. Their parents were constantly going through their personal things, there was no trust on either side. They still had Myspace, they simply checked their accounts at school or at their friends house. They were more likely to (and did) engage in dangerous behavior because they couldn"t trust their parents or ask them questions.

Another solution to cyber bullying is being open and honest with your kids. You should repetively instill in your child"s mind that bullying is never okay and not to be tolerated and always to be reported. You should also raise your children to understand that being a bully is one of the most horrible and disgusting things you can be.

I know that not all parents can instill this & also that even amazing parents who did their best to teach their children these things can be unsuccessful. I just feel as though, especially in today"s world, it"s so easy for children to access social media and the internet in a multitude of scenarios while they are outside of our monitoring, such as school, their friends house, even the public library, there"s no way to really monitor this. I would rather give them more freedom & encourage open dialect and have them know that I"m trustworthy. Like I said, in my personal life experience, the kids with the most restrictions and monitoring were the ones that did the same things, only secretively and we"re too scared to confide in their parents.
Posted by logicalcat181 3 years ago
logicalcat181
Nobody is cyberbullying here.
Posted by What50 3 years ago
What50
Cyberbullying problem is just turn off the screen.