Our_Boat_is_Right
AIRhino

Taxes Should Not be Raised on the Rich: Change my Mind

Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

Taxes should not be raised on the rich because they worked hard and eaarned that money, And because they work harder and earn THEIR money and are rich does not mean government should steal more from them than anybody else,
NOTE: You do not have to change my mind to win the debate. Voters choose the winner on a 7 point system, And who they think made the best arguments, Regardless of whether my mind was changed or not.
NOTE: DO NOT ACCEPT THIS DEBATE IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE OFFLINE FREQUENTLY. I WANT COMMITTED DEBATERS ONLY. NO FORFEITS.
AIRhino

Con

That isn't necessarily true. What if you have super rich celebrity children who didn't work at all for their money? And by the way, Poor work harder than rich in a lot of cases. I believe that the government should take a percentage off of your income. Not a flat amount. I think that we should take a proportional amount of money from the poor and the rich, Even if that means the rich lose more.
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

"What if you have super rich celebrity children who didn't work at all for their money? "
Please clarify. I assume this would mean child actors, Who are very talented for what they do, And get paid accordingly for their effort and time.

"And by the way, Poor work harder than rich in a lot of cases. "
Can you give examples?

"I believe that the government should take a percentage off of your income. Not a flat amount. I think that we should take a proportional amount of money from the poor and the rich, Even if that means the rich lose more. "
Rich are what keep the economy going. Especially business owners. They hire more and more employees and grow their business, Helping the economy and jobs. If money is taken away from what they earned, They can't thrive their businesses.
AIRhino

Con

AIRhino forfeited this round.
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

Ok, Try to post your argument again.
AIRhino

Con

AIRhino forfeited this round.
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

damn it ddo won't let me post an argument
AIRhino

Con

AIRhino forfeited this round.
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

Wait WTH is going on I thought we already finished this debate.
AIRhino

Con

AIRhino forfeited this round.
Posted by Our_Boat_is_Right 3 years ago
Our_Boat_is_Right
Ok what is happening? Your argument just disappeared, I typed my argument, Submitted it, But it didn't show it, And when I went back to type it it got deleted. DDO IS WACK.
Posted by Adaya 3 years ago
Adaya
A cap on wealth sounds reasonable. For someone to be so wealthy that they alone could replace multiple government programs without batting an eye or changing their lifestyle in any way is quite unnerving. Being the richest man alive and having your workforce urinate in bottles is just sickening. Many people work hard, Not only the rich. In fact many rich people just inherited their wealth from their families and haven't "earned" a thing. People, Like engineers, Who are on the cutting edge; the people who truly benefit the lives of the masses with their technological developments and ideas. You are unlikely to find them even in the top ten percent. I wonder how rich the inventor of the microwave was. . .
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
I almost wish i could have taken this debate, Would it be possible for pro to respond to my comment?
Our society runs on supply and demand (usually) so typically, The more demand there is for your services and the less supply available, The more you will be compensated. However, That does not mean that the majority of wealth in this country is held by people who have "earned it". That is because unlike communism, People in our country can own wealth, And can pass that wealth to whomever they wish just like any other possession.

The wealthy do not drive our economy, And neither do business owners, Far from it. The majority of employees work for corporations which by definition do not have a(n) owner, But instead is it's own entity.

However if we are talking about "driving the economy" as the money being pumped into the economy by consumers, Then it isn't the rich, But the poor and middle class that should be thanked. They spend the largest portions of their income on goods and services that drive our economy and contribute to sales taxes. The top 20% of earners, Save the majority of their income or spend it on investments and insurance; neither of which really contribute to the economy or are taxable.

This is one of the reasons why i believe that the top 20% of earners should pay more, And because it is a progressive tax system, A tax increase will only have a marginal effect on their annual income. Corporations should also be taxed more since they benefit the most from what our country and society provides. It also wouldn't be considered a tax increase if you consider how much lower they are now compared to what they were before the recession.
Posted by AIRhino 3 years ago
AIRhino
I'm going to have my argument up here, I am not on the same computer right now as I was before, And my argument is in a document on the other computer. Once I get home, I will put that argument up into this debate. Thank you for your patience.
Posted by AIRhino 3 years ago
AIRhino
Because someone owns that property. Someone owns the land. The government allows him access to it, Because he pays for it. Also, Because how else are we supposed to function as a society? We have to tax if we want public services. Things like prison, Public schooling, Road work, Construction. All paid for by tax dollars. Everyone has a right to an education, Everyone has a right to life, Liberty, And a pursuit of happiness. All of those things can't happen without tax dollars. Using that same logic, Why does the government deserve any portion of your money? Because it's the government and we can't live here without imported goods, And all of those things previously listed. As well as private property. That's why we pay taxes.
Posted by Masterful 3 years ago
Masterful
Your time is worth only as much as someone is willing to pay for it. It's subjective.
If Elon musk is risking Billions to make space travel possible, Why do you think anyone is entitled to his profit, Made by the work and risk he put in?
Posted by Masterful 3 years ago
Masterful
As much as I believe asta is a butt hole and a bad man, I have to agree with him on this. SonofCharl is suggesting everyone's time is worth the same, That's utter horse sh*t. If you believe that then you must advocate newspaper boys being payed the same as a layers.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19

Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
@ mismedic

It is not greed. It is ambition. Ambition makes society better.

The rich get richer by making our lives better. If it wasn't for them, We would be living like the Amish and would die early due to the lack of technology that the rich would have developed otherwise. Unemployment would skyrocket and the economy would fluctuate instead of going up consistently.

Venezuela is Democratic socialist and look where they are.
Posted by AIRhino 3 years ago
AIRhino
Debate. Org is not letting me post my reply. I'll make more attempts as time passes, But if I am not able to submit an argument, Let's start a new one and copy/paste our arguments into the new one.