KOA_Tengu
ButterEater

Taxes should be wealth-based, not income-based

ButterEater has forfeited round #2.
Started: 2/25/2018 Category: Economics

KOA_Tengu

Pro

Consider a homeless person. Does he need a fire department? He"s living in a box, even if it got burnt up he can still find a new one. Does he need police protection? He has nothing on him worthy to be stolen, and any fights that he gets into are over before the police show up. What about the public transport system, or education? He would not be able to pay for these basic services, he might not even be able to get a decent meal.

And what about the wealthy? They've got cars that might be stolen and a house that might burn. They have something worthy to lose.They may desire legal protection for his property and goods.

Rich people use more services, both in an absolute and a relative sense. They need government more. They should pay more for it, both absolutely and relatively.
ButterEater

Con

I am an anarchist, and thus believe that taxation is always theft, but I'm going to put that aside for this debate.

"Consider a homeless person. Does he need a fire department? He"s living in a box, even if it got burnt up he can still find a new one. Does he need police protection? He has nothing on him worthy to be stolen, and any fights that he gets into are over before the police show up." - This is not true, he does have something of worth; His own life. In other (Eastern European) countries homeless are murdered a lot.

"And what about the wealthy? They've got cars that might be stolen and a house that might burn. They have something worthy to lose.They may desire legal protection for his property and goods. Rich people use more services, both in an absolute and a relative sense. They need government more. They should pay more for it, both absolutely and relatively." - You're right about this, the richer the person the moral gov't services they will use.

The problem with taxing people at a wealth-level is as follows; They can hold the vast amount of their wealth within an off-shore account, and only keep what is necessary. Moreover, if it is done by wealth, then people could be taxed into poverty or even homelessness.
KOA_Tengu

Pro

The point that I am trying to make with the rich and poor analogy is that the poor do not necessarily use up as much resources or services that the rich does. I understand that my words seemed a little bit harsh as I did not acknowledge the fact that the poor/homeless have their own lives, and may be killed by others (as you have stated in your argument), so I apologise if I have angered you or the ones reading the debate.

Well, the thing is that, it may be true that having taxations based of wealth may cause people to go into poverty, or into homelessness. But, this is really extreme as the taxes are really not that high, considering the fact that if one do belong in a rich household, they should be able to pay the taxes due to their immense wealth (unless you tell me they bought 10 houses or something like that, then maybe yes).

Furthermore, the rich or the middle-class would have been educated, so I think that they have the common sense and the knowledge to not to spend too much money, and thus would most definitely not lead to bankruptcy. Also, they would know/ acknowledge the fact that their money is not a bottomless hole, and it would run out sooner or later, so they would be concerned/aware of the things that they buy. Furthermore, based on statistics, the average American households has only one house/living space, and the Govt claimed that the taxes are "affordable by the middle-class onwards" so I do feel that it is relatively impossible to be taxed into poverty or homelessness.

"They can hold the vast amount of their wealth within an off-shore account, and only keep what is necessary." Well, I personally think that when one set up a bank account, the government will have the access to one"s personal information. So even if one does create an additional account, I believe that the govt will be able to find it and imply the right taxations (I am not really sure about this as I could not find relevant articles, so I am not going to elaborate more. I might spread the wrong idea.).
Posted by Pretaxdrc 6 months ago
Pretaxdrc
Certainly agree with the rationale. There's absolutely no doubt that taxes ought to be based on wealth and not Income, it makes a lot of sense.

But in the real world scenario, a couple of points are worth noting:
1) how do we define "wealth", is it based on physical assets held, standard of living or something else.
2) What do we do in cases where wealth is inherited by someone who is poor? Are we going to tax that person? For example if a poor individual inherits the family fortunes of his long lost ancestor, how do we tax him? He may have inherited "wealth" but not have any real cash flow to pay the taxes.
3) Will government and policy makers really bring in a taxation system that would probably impact them the most?
Posted by Nd2400 7 months ago
Nd2400
I do agree the poor, like a homeless person you mention won't be able to pay for taxes. But they need protecting too. Because almost every day you hear a homeless person getting shot at or just plain and simple getting killed by whatever. They are more vulnerable to violence. The wealthy do pay a lot more. The more you make the higher taxes you pay for.