MXLYY
Weneverknow

Teachers promote the leaders of tomorrow which should entitle them with higher salaries

MXLYY has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

MXLYY

Pro

To those who disagree,

Let me put it simply, without teachers there would have been no man on the moon. No vaccines. No indispensable medicines. "Blacks" and "Whites" would still be segregated and the hole in the Ozone layer would be twice as big. It is fair to say that each teacher around the world has played a profound role on their students whether it be in any aspect of the classroom. On average, the NSW department of education states that Australian high school teachers earn $65,000. Compared to the average Australian earning a weekly $1,191.50 and yearly $61,958 according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics. Earning such similar pay to the average Australian whilst educating students and the leaders of tomorrow, this statistic portrays the inequality of teacher pay in their levels of knowledge and leadership. Whether it be practical or theoretical, it is the role of teachers that promote the leaders of tomorrow which should entitle them with higher pay rates.

Having chosen a topic on teacher"s salaries, my primary choice for contact was the minister of education, Rob Stokes. Finding contact with Stokes was what I thought quite simple, a search on the internet gave myself a contact email in which I was told I could receive a response. Now eleven days after the initial request for a response and view on my question. Nothing. Is the salary of teachers not an issue to the minister of education? Is the pay of teachers not a valid argument to raise? Without any response from the education minister, inequality of teachers pay may be of little to no interest in him. Being a high school student raising an argument for teachers salaries that continually give myself homework, discipline and uninspiring lectures, a student contrasts with the minister of education over the lack of pay his teachers are receiving.

An article from the Sydney Morning Herald, written and published by Harold Mitchell in June 2016 is titled "Why we need to pay teachers more". Mitchell addresses the concepts and severities of teacher"s inequality of pay, continually redirecting his points from teachers pay to student"s inability to learn. Stating that "at 19 years of age, 26% of young people do not attain year 12. They are behind for most of their life", he directs the attention from teachers pay to the consequences many students face due to their poorly payed teachers. The effect of Mitchells relations between poorly educated students and poorly payed teachers reflects the accountability that a teacher with a low salary can have on their student"s future. As Mitchell closes his article he compares two people. The first, a young woman working on a construction site directing 20 metres of traffic with a stop/go sign. The second, a first year teacher with three years of university training. As Mitchell compares the two people, he gives the reader a short and sharp fact detailing the injustice of teacher salaries. He continues, the first young woman receives an $140,000 salary, whilst the university graduate earns a yearly $63,000. As a first year teacher is not entitled to just half of the salary of a traffic controller, Mitchell closes his article, "Surely we should pay the people who prepare our children for the future more than we pay a person controlling a line of cars down a side street?".

Having received no contact from the deemed "education" experts, I relied on two of my lecture and homework giving teachers for their views on the issue I was raising. Visualising a teaching utopia with the aid of my question, both teachers were quick to respond. To my surprise, both Teacher A and Teacher B had contrasting views on the issue I was raising.

Coming from the United Kingdom, Teacher A had previously been paid a salary much lower than Australian teachers. Teacher A suggested that she would therefore support a general increase in the salaries of teachers both globally and especially in the UK. Whilst delivering her view on my question, Teacher A presented a further component potentially relating the inequality of teacher pay with a global issue being woman inequality. "It might be worth considering that teaching used to be a female dominated profession and this might have something to do with the lower rates of pay. Is teaching traditionally considered "women"s work" and, therefore, not deemed to be as important? Over the centuries of teaching, women have most often acted as the role models and teachers to their students. As women"s inequality and more importantly the inequality of women"s pay are still relevant in society, this presents a large factor to be considered in the salaries of teachers today. The Australian government run organisation, "Workplace Gender Equality", stated that on average, women earn a total of 15.3% less than the average male. The Australian Rights Commission stated that "women must work an extra 56 days a year to earn the same pay as men doing the same work". A point risen by Teacher A, teaching may lack in pay due to it"s background being a particularly women led career.

Teacher B, contrasts the views of teacher A. Teacher B raises valid arguments against the increase of pay against teachers. He argues that all children are in need of teachers, and it is required by law, therefore the raising of the salary of teachers will force the tax payer to spend more money on their children"s education. Essentially, Teacher B argues that an increase in teacher salaries could potentially be a financial burden on families unable to afford education for their children. Furthermore, teaching staff are titled to extended holidays. He proceeds to argue that the salaries of teachers need to take into account such drastic holiday breaks when compared to the average worker. If you adjust the teacher salaries for holidays, Teacher B stated that the wage per day improves significantly. As he presents his arguments against the increase of teacher salaries and their role of inspiring the teachers of tomorrow, Teacher B paints a larger picture. He states, "To say teachers deserve higher pay because we are at the "coal face" of raising the next generation is short sighted and neglects the important contributions that almost every other worker makes to society. Except lawyers and business consultants, those guys are just greedy leeches". Teacher B includes the Australian workforce in the upbringing and inspiration upon the future leaders of tomorrow, handing the reigns of teaching knowledge from teachers to the shared workforce. Contrasting the view of Teacher A being to increase salaries of teachers, Teacher B addresses the issue in a larger picture including the Australian workforce.

Teachers inspire the leaders and workforce of tomorrow. Unrelenting to pay, the role of a teacher not only develops a clear and deeper understanding of a subject, but a clear and deep understanding of an individual whilst gaining knowledge. Without the role of teachers in society, there would not have existed the light bulb nor the car. The harbor bridge would not exist and Australia may never have been found. All in all, the role of teachers provides their students with the mental courage and awareness for the future.
Weneverknow

Con

Hey,

i assume when you say teachers, you mean public school teachers. your argument is sound in the sense that mothers should be paid the most cuz without without mothers there would be nothing and following the same logic grandmothers should be paid even more for being grandmothers. This is what you said, "Let me put it simply, without teachers there would have been no man on the moon. No vaccines. No indispensable medicines. "Blacks" and "Whites" would still be segregated and the hole in the Ozone layer would be twice as big." It is true that teachers have profound role on their students but only some, not all. On the other hand there are teachers who are horrible, and further more teachers are not only bad but criminals who can be indulged in heinous crimes against the children. Given the reality of situation first you need to get all teachers to be the best group in the world's history then maybe you could argue for your cause. Till then your assumptions are juvenile.
And secondly you brought the stats for teachers in Australia, if teachers are teachers then why didn't you argue for the teachers in the third world countries, should they not be paid the same as others in different countries according to your aforesaid principles.

I appreciate you trying to talk about this with the minister even though i might different on your way and talking points.

Simply quoting a newspaper doesn't prove the findings, what was the methodology, until you come to terms with that, your arguments fells short that learning is proportional to teacher's pay.

From
Coming from the United Kingdom, Teacher .................................................................. of teachers, Teacher B addresses the issue in a larger picture including the Australian workforce. Till here, nothing whatsoever was a any source of your point just a story.

Yes, I agree teachers can inspire the leaders and workforce of tomorrow, but also can parents, friends, family and so many other sources. I am not against paying teachers higher or as a matter of fact anybody else for that matter. But the world we live in is primarily run by economics. Personally I would love everybody to be paid enough that they would spend their lives peacefully, but you should bring in more economic argument for this to happen and maybe a selection process where you can find the best teachers. I would love to have a healthy debate.