PointProven
Block19

Teaching Religion in Public Schools

PointProven

Con

Tell me the benefits of teaching religion in public schools and I'll attempt to explain why I believe you are wrong.
Block19

Pro

Religion is huge part of life in society, Regardless of what religious views people may or may not have. One can not deny the impact that religion has had on human history nor can people deny the influence it has on current global issues. I think it is unreasonable to deny students the opportunity to learn the history and ideologies of religions, It is a disservice to our current and future generations.
PointProven

Con

While all that may be true, I was more referring to having religion taught as required classes in schools. I suppose I'm okay with giving students the right to have religious studies as an elected class, But then again, That is what church is for. It's perfectly okay for people to have their beliefs and even share them with other people, But when they start teaching them as fact to children who don't know any better, That's where I draw the line. I believe if a adolescent is interested in religion, They should go to church. School is for teaching facts, Church is for faith.
Block19

Pro

It seems with both agree on the subject, But we seem to disagree on the methodology. I would make it a mandatory subject because of how essential i believe the topic to be. We can have a more in depth course as an elective (ex: Advanced Religious studies, Christian History and Denominations, Etc. ) similar to how we currently offer foreign languages as a mandatory subject. While churches and other religious institutions are a great place to learn about a religion, It is not realistic to expect the majority of the public to learn a significant amount about all the major religions (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, And Judaism). I am not suggesting schools teach children that everything that these religions is the ultimate truth, But they should learn what the ideologies behind these religions are, How when and where they came about, And the contributions (good and bad) they made to humanity. There are a lot of misconceptions about these different religions that could be cleared up with a quality education.
PointProven

Con

That's an excellent point, And I mostly agree. However, I still don't think religion is nearly important enough to require people to know it simply in order to function in society. I personally believe that religions are simply untrue fairytales, Which if you want to learn more about, You can choose to go to church. America has freedom of religion, And you can learn about any one that you choose without forcing it on people. That brings me to my next point, Which is, Why stop at the major religions? There are roughly 4, 200 religions in the world, All of which are equally unprovable. Some of these religions believe stories that are identical to one another. Look up the story of Horus. It's an Egyptian myth about a guy born of a virgin on December 25th(plus a billion other things that christianity directly copied). This myth existed about 3, 000 years before Jesus walked the earth. My point is, Why force such things on people if they are undoubtedly false? If you are going to force people to believe this stuff, You should probably consider the other 4, 200 of them, Seeing as they are all the same.
Block19

Pro

There are many things that are taught in school that the majority of Americans will not need in order to function is society. However the point of public school is not just to push out functioning members of society, It is to educate people beyond what is considered essential. Think about how much conflict could be resolved if people respected one another better than they do now. I have heard way to many people get angry about things they wrongfully believe about "others". The reason for focusing on the major religions is due to the law of diminishing returns, The more religions we cover, The less time we can spend on each one. So if we just focus on a handful that cover the most people and have had the most impact we can get more quality instead of just quantity.

As far as your Horus claims, I'm sorry but you are wrong. I believe you probably got that information from Boll Maher's movie "Religulous". I am sorry, But that movie has been discredited by many scholars, Egyptologist have had to come out in mass and say that Horus was not born of a virgin, His mother copulated with father Horus who was dead at the time, And was born during Egyptians equivalent of November. Jesus was probably born in the summer, The reason for celebrating his birthday in late December was because of the Roman holiday known as Saturnalia which took place at that time.

I must say i did enjoy this debate and look forward to debating more in the future.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
But you are ok with History being taught in schools are you not? What about sociology?
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
Burn the priests chaplains and churches.
Posted by PointProven 3 years ago
PointProven
Again, That is what church is for. People have the right to have any religion they want and learn about in at the church of there choosing (for fuks sake there is a different church every 10 feet where I live). But people also have the right not to listen to the pure nonsense that is religion.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
This is why i believe it should be taught in public schools, It is a matter of public interest.
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
Never took a comparative religion course while attending University. What you describe carefettes fits there. World history classes might touch upon religion in terms of its cultural influence upon a given society, But it most certainly not represent the main topic of the history course.
Posted by carefettes 3 years ago
carefettes
The major religions, Except for Sikhism, Are all taught about in World History classes. In fact, It's critical that AP World students know their beliefs, Their doctrines, And their origins in order to be able to answer all the questions, And there's usually a short answer question based on one of them. So, The religions are taught about, And the students understand the message of the doctrine, But the faith isn't forced on them. I think it's a happy medium.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
That was not my intention, My intention was to inform you that you had made an incorrect statement. I feel like i have adequately responded to your question about all and not just some religions being taught. My main point was that religion, Its history, And the impact it has had on humanity is significant and worth being taught to all students, Those things are not undoubtedly false.
Posted by PointProven 3 years ago
PointProven
You tried to make it seem like I simply made up the story of Horus when in reality I just typed the same thing that I have read many, Many times. However my overall point didn't really have anything to do with Egyptian mythology, I simply used that as an example to prove that all religions are the same.

"My point is, Why force such things on people if they are undoubtedly false? If you are going to force people to believe this stuff, You should probably consider the other 4, 200 of them, Seeing as they are all the same. "

That's a direct quote from my argument. That was the reason I included the story of Horus.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
The story of Horus and the story of Christ are both real stories, Regardless of whether or not they are fiction or not. Epics, Legends, And Myths these are things that exist in our world, They either exist in spoken word or written language, They are real. Christ being born of a virgin is true to his story, Saying that Horus was born of a virgin is not true to his story. That is the point i was making, I never said that it was a verifiable fact.

Sorry for thinking you had gotten your information from that "documentary", But it does seem that you got your information from a related source that used incorrect information. What research do i need to do, Did i make a false claim?
Posted by PointProven 3 years ago
PointProven
" I believe you probably got that information from Boll Maher's movie "Religulous". " I have never heard of that movie. And obviously the story of Horus isn't true(much like christianity), But it is an actual Egyptian myth that existed long before christianity did. The story of Horus being born from a virgin is obviously not true, I never said it was, I just said what they believed. But guess what? Christ wan't born of a virgin either, Because it's literally impossible. Horus is just as BS and christianity, But I'm not wrong about this, Do some research. This is a thing, I'm telling you.