Erato
InterrogatorMaster

Tests and exams should be banned at schools

Erato has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Erato

Pro

A lot of people, specially teachers, believe that tests are necessary just to see their students' progress at different topics.
Then why are students so anxious about having a test if it is not that big deal?
Let me explain you why. Albert Einstein once said: 'Everybody's a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.'
That is what our schools does, they are judging every student the same without realising that everyone is different,scientists can tell you that no two brains are the same, everyone is good at different things, but our teachers are making students compete with each other. 'Oh, John got an A, but I got C, I'm useless'
Many kids can not reach their goals, or find their gifts because they believe they are stupid.
School, that is what you want to succeed? Well done then you did it.
You claim to prepare students for the future?
Then why don't you learn us how to cope with lifes difficulties or how to get a job?
The world has progressed and now we need people who think creatively and innovatively, that is how they are going to succeed. Not with a paper with lots of questions.
That's what I had to say, the decision is yours.
InterrogatorMaster

Con

I know that many of you will automatically vote against this topic because many of you hate tests and exams. But for the sake of the educationally value in today's round, I hope you can step aside and consider both teams arguments. Starting off, I would really like to thank my opponent for hosting this debate, a real opportunity to see a real world problem.

I negate. Resolved: Tests and exams should be banned at schools.
For efficiency of this round, definitions:
Tests/Exams: a procedure intended to establish the quality, performance, or reliability of something, especially before it is taken into widespread use. - Merriam-Webster

Framework: Since the resolution writes that tests and exams should be banned at school, then we should value education. Whichever team solves for education in today's round, wins.

Observation 1: Tests have been around for when education was started, if people thought that tests were bad, it would've been voted down way before this debate.

Lets begin.

Contention 1: There's no such things at "banning" tests
You may ban final exams in school, but ultimately when you ban these things you can't see how well students are doing in schools. This will result into many administrators finding other ways to "find" your skills and see your level, which ultimately is still a test, as I provided a definition stating that "it is a procedure to find the quality in someone/something". Therefore, it is the burden of the affirmative to not only prove that testing is bad, but also prove that when you ban tests you can still measure skills without linking back into my definition of tests. As the Brooking Institute explains on August 3rd of 2015, that even if you ban tests, there's not way of measuring skills, not letting us prove which person is more fit for a position or job, resulting into a backward step in our world.

Contention 2: Tests provide a guide to education
Whether to identify struggling students who need help, or gifted children for possible advancement, standardized tests provide benchmarks of average performance so this is possible. Powerlearning explains that standardized testing can provide benchmarks for parents and teachers. This allows parents and teachers to see how a student is doing compared to other students in his or her class, city, and country. It provides guidelines for curriculum. Standardized tests give teachers a structure of what needs to be taught. This helps keep classroom material consistent across the country.

Contention 3: Majority
With 95% of legislators standing for tests and exams, there's no way that standardized testing and exams are going to be removed. Make it also the affirmative's job to prove to you that there's some miracle that comes and changes the minds of these legislators. Along with that, a BBC poll done in an anonymous school showed that in fact, 80% of kids in elementary, secondary education supported exams and tests. There is no existing problem in the status quo, so there's no reason to change what has been working for thousands of years and has the majority of support.

With this, I proudly negate for the sake of education.
Posted by harrynguyen 3 years ago
harrynguyen
May all the tests will be banned
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
yea we should send kids to ilands instead, so they learn for themselves how to survive.