geekyconservative116
gzitman

The 2nd amendment is good

geekyconservative116

Pro

I think that the Second Amendment is good for the country. I think that it is essential that the people have the ability to defend themselves against against both foreign and domestic threats
I will allow my opponent to present their case
gzitman

Con

While I don't advocate the elimination of the 2nd amendment, I do believe that it has an overall negative effect on society. My argument is that America would be a better country if no people owned guns. The potential positives do not outweigh the negatives.
geekyconservative116

Pro

This is my first debate so excuse any mistakes I may make in terms of format or anything like that.

First and foremost, What are the reasons for this claim that we would be better off without guns in our society? Do you mean that we would be better off if private citizens did not possess firearms, But it is acceptable for government officials (police, Army etc. ) to possess them?

Second of all what means do we have to produce a gun free society even if it were a good thing? We have what is supposed to be a drug free society and we all know how that turned out. All that a ban on guns does is take them away from law-abiding citizens.

(I know that I didn't exactly address the second amendment this round, I'm just trying to unpack what you are saying about a gun free society)
gzitman

Con

Yes, You summarized my position correctly. America would be a safer and more just society if private citizens did not possess firearms. I do make an exception for government officials, As their job is to maintain order. Like I said, I don't advocate for the elimination of the 2nd amendment because I don't believe it is realistic. I do think that in a hypothetical version of America where citizens don't possess guns/no 2nd amendment would be preferential to what we have today.
geekyconservative116

Pro

I would counter and argue that that only works if you assume that people (including government officials) are good and should and can be trusted to make good decisions. We know that that is clearly not the case considering we have such a problem in this country with Police brutality as well as the fact that we had to leave a country (England) that did not respect our rights. The core purpose of the Second Amendment is to defend against the government and to be able to protect yourself if the government were to become tyrannical. It has secondary applications, Such as defending against assault or forming a militia against foreign threat but that is its core purpose. So that being said it doesn't at all make sense to strip all people of guns except for government officials because that is the exact thing that it was designed to protect against. It seems you have an inaccurate view of what the second amendment is designed to do.

I for one would be fine to have to a world where guns were not even needed and I could trust my government to both protect me and my rights, But that is not the world we live in. So, That being said I suppose your hypothetical sounds good, But it doesn't actually challenge my stance very much.
gzitman

Con

Police brutality would not be nearly as big of an issue if police officers were not afraid that every citizen they approached were armed. We trust the government with many aspects of life, I don't anticipate an armed insurrection any time soon. Is the small chance of a revolution worth the millions of deaths from gun violence. I would rather be alive now, Than worry about some tyranny that doesn't exist. Why can't you trust your government? , Do you find yourself in shootouts with government often, If you do than I understand your argument.
geekyconservative116

Pro

geekyconservative116 forfeited this round.
gzitman

Con

gzitman forfeited this round.
geekyconservative116

Pro

gzitman

Con

gzitman forfeited this round.
Posted by backwardseden 3 years ago
backwardseden
The 2nd amendment is a piece of paper that will be forced to be torn to shreds within the next five years whether anybody likes it or not. Why? People will be building and are building as an example 3D printer guns in their basements that with each building blocks will become so advanced that today's typical gun whether it be a handgun or an AK47 or whatever, They will become tinker toys. Right now, There's nothing in place to curtail anyone from building such weapons. So what is to curtail them? The pathetic 2nd amendments right will go POOF. Yeah who will have that right = nobody no-how noway. Sorry.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
You are at least partially wrong. Your interpretation of the militia part of the second amendment is just that, Your interpretation of an unfortunately vague portion of the amendment. However the part that you definitely got wrong was the part dealing with the type of weapons that were considered legal to own. The 2nd amendment allowed citizens to purchase and own the most advanced military weapons of the time.
Posted by billsands 3 years ago
billsands
look at our homicide rate compared to canada or australia, Its about 5 times as high, The second amendment gave states the right to form a militia thats all, The right to an individual to own dealy weapons of war was fabricated centuries after the original amendment was written