Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
ESEPanda
Anonymous

The AAF is better than the NFL

Started: 3/6/2019 Category: Sports

ESEPanda

Pro

I think the AAF is better than the NFL

Here are the rules of the debate:

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening Statements
Round 3 and 4: Rebuttals
Round 5: Closing Statements

You have 24 hours to respond for each round, Good luck!

Con

No way AAF is better.
ESEPanda

Pro

While the NFL is more popular than the AAF, You have to take popularity out of the situation. It"s possible for something to be less popular than something else, But be better. Firstly, Unless if you are a die hard Patriots or a Rams fan, You have to agree that the NFL"s referees show favoritism. Usually it"s towards the Patriots, But the Rams were also helped out by the men in stripes in the 2019 NFC Championship Game. An easy pass interference call was missed just so the Rams could make it to the Super Bowl. And the line judge that made the awful call? They were a former Rams player. Next, It"s happened every year. The refs helping the Patriots win. The NFL has lost a lot of fans from god awful calls, And commissioner Roger Goeddel does nothing about it. The AAF is different. While I don"t know what the future holds in the league, I haven"t seen any favoritism shown by refs. Also, If the refs make a bad pass interference call, A judge separate from the referees can overturn calls, Making the game more enjoyable to watch. Secondly they did away with extra points. While they aren"t taken for granted, It"s basically automatic now in the NFL. Making teams go for 2 makes it more exciting because the points after could help your team win, Or cost them the game. There"s also no kickoffs but kickoffs are somewhat useless anyway, But starting from the 25 every time is also boring. But, At least it reduces injuries.

Con

"Firstly, Unless if you are a die hard Patriots or a Rams fan, You have to agree that the NFL"s referees show favoritism. "

Now a lot of people seem to think that refs or the NFL would favor the Patriots but it makes no sense. Why would the NFL favor a team that makes the playoffs every year?

The AAF is still an early league and refs haven't had time to show favoritism. The AAF does have the replay system but only got it because the NFL recommended that they should. The NFL is coming up with a system for that. Extra Points has been a system of football since the very beginning. Having two options available for extra points help teams more than just going for 2. No kick off extra-point or drop kick or anything like that. The two-point makes the touchdown unrewarding if missed. Also making a field goal is not guaranteed, Especially nowadays when 2 games were decided by a kick. Kickoffs are not useless and has been part of the game since the beginning. Why should we remove that? Starting at the 25-yard line will likely not have an effect on injuries.

The AAF is set up to fail. Tom Dundun, Owner of the Carolina Hurricanes has made up a 250 million dollar financial bailout.
ESEPanda

Pro

I guess we won"t have rules to this debate, I guess that"s ok

To start, There really is not any actual reason that has been found for why the refs help the Patriots, But it is obvious. . If you were to watch replays of the 2018 AFC Championship and the 2019 AFC Championship, You would see horrible calls where the refs obviously were calling in favor of the Patriots. Also while it isn"t garunteed, One reason a lot of people think the NFL favorites the Patriots is because they wanted Tom Brady to earn his 6th Super Bowl ring. I don"t think that"s the reason personally but that"s just my opinion. Also, While I do agree with you about the AAF starting out as an early league, They have been a league for more than one month now, And one month isn"t as short as you think it is. Secondly, The NFL has nothing to do with the AAF, And they NFL never suggested that the AAF should have a sky judge. If they did, The NFL would have a sky judge of their own, And I haven"t seen anywhere online where they talk about the NFL getting sky judges, Except for random people saying that the NFL should have one. Thirdly, My opinion on extra points is well, An opinion. Some people like them, Some find it boring, I find extra points boring, But everyone has their own opinion. Also if two games were decided by an extra point, And there are 256 NFL games in a season, That means 1 in 128 games were decided by a kick. That is less than 1% of games. Lastly, Kickoffs still cause injuries. I remember reading a Sports Illustraded Kids magazine years ago, Saying if they should take kickoffs out of the game. I still remember what if said: "Believe it or not, Kickoffs are one of the top caused of injuries in the NFL. " The AAF realized this and that"s also a reason the AAF doesn"t do kickoffs. Also, Even though kickoffs have been in the game for a long time, And that they may be fun to watch, Safety does come first and it isn"t as fun seeing a player from either side rolling on the ground injured. (Unless if it"s Brady XD) But still I have a point

Con

taking out kickoffs are taking out fundamentals of football and in the official offseason of football they can't have severe injuries. Again, Refs are humans, They make mistakes. Sky judges were influenced by the no call in the NFC game. They would not have had it in the first place. Also there is a major drop off in quality of football, And I'm a Patriots fan.
ESEPanda

Pro

I"m round 2 you said, "The AAF does have the replay system but only got it because the NFL recommended that they should. "

Then in round 3 you said: "Sky judges were influenced by the no call in the NFL game. "

So basically you said in round 2 that the NFL said, "Hey AAF! You should have a sky judge! " And then in Round 3 you basically meant that because of the call, The AAF has a sky judge.

While I do enjoy watching kickoffs, They do cause a lot of injuries, The type of injuries being concussions. What the AAF could of done instead was to keep kickoffs, But make it safer to reduce concussions.

Also yes, Referees are humans, And humans make mistakes, But It is still a wrong call. Referees being human can"t always be an excuse. If you were to watch an NFL game, Would you rather A. See a bad pass interference call by the referee, And nothing is done, Or B. See a bad pass interference call by the referee, And have a sky judge overturn the call and make it right? Also while it makes no impact on my argument, I"m a Redskins fan

Con

I agree that the kickoff needs to be safer and currently the NFL is working on that.

The NFL no pass call influenced the sky judge and yes many people in the NFL did recommend.

The quality drop is what sells it for me.
ESEPanda

Pro

What people in the NFL are you talking about that recommended the AAF getting a sky judge?

Con

Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian worked for the NFL for decades.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
yuhancui0726
I think that it is the opposite. Roger Godell does not want the patriots to win. They are making the NFL lose money and bad publicity.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
Smug_Tomato
Just let me know if you're interested.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
Smug_Tomato
I'll take you up on this debate if you want, And try to follow your rules. I like the AAF but I wouldn't say that it is better.