Romanii
Pitbull15
Losing
0 Points

The Bible is God's Word

Do you like this debate?NoYes+0
Post Voting Period
The voting period for this debate has ended.
after 2 votes the winner is...
Romanii
Started: 4/17/2014 Category: Religion
Updated: 7 years ago Status: Post Voting Period

Romanii

Con

Hello to all!

If this debate is displaying a "you do not meet the intigator's criteria" message and you would still like to accept, please express your interest in doing so in the comments section.

Burden of Proof is on Pro to show that the Bible is God's Word.
My role in the debate (Con) is to refute Pro's arguments.

Debate Rules
1) Pro will post his opening arguments in round 1
2) Pro will abstain from posting anything in round 4, to ensure that we both have an equal number of rounds to debate in

Good luck!
Pitbull15

Pro

I'm afraid that due to my work on 3 other debates, I must concede. I apologize for wasting your time. Please, nobody vote on this
Romanii

Con

Pro may choose from two options:

1) Just write his arguments in Round 2, so that the debate can still continue, with the only difference being him losing a round

2) Concede the debate and give me a free win ;)

I personally prefer the former, but it's all up to Pro...
Pitbull15

Pro

Pitbull15 forfeited this round.
Romanii

Con

Pro still has the option to write his arguments next round, though now he won't be getting a chance to give rebuttals...
Pitbull15

Pro

Sorry, I forgot about this one... my concession stands.
Romanii

Con

Very well. I accept Pro's concession. Vote Con.

Perhaps we can redo this debate some other time.
Pitbull15

Pro

(Random jumble of text.)
22 comments have been posted on this debate. Showing 11 through 20 records.
Posted by Pitbull15 7 years ago
Pitbull15
@Sagey: Yes, that is a very good point. I plan on being very careful with my argument because of that. Or I could change it up and present it like the MOA's 6 premises.
Posted by Sagey 7 years ago
Sagey
Syllogisms only work well if your major premise is strong and verifiable by sources.
If the major premise is subjective, a priori, Watch-Out, your Syllogism is likely to be Destroyed by anybody who can refute the weak major premise.
The minor premise doesn't quite matter as much, it can still be a little misguided, but easier to correct or argue than a flaw in the major premise can.

This is where Anselm's Ontological Argument falls down.
Major premise: If we cannot possibly "Imagine" a greater being in neither our mind nor reality.
Minor Premise: Then we cannot Imagine any being Greater.
Conclusion: Thus God Exists.

The problem is the word "Imagine", thus it is a priori, or subjective argument, thus it has no evidence and the Major Premise can be considered as somewhat Irrational.
Thus the entire argument becomes Fallacious.
Posted by Pitbull15 7 years ago
Pitbull15
Exactly. But they can also work beautifully when they're used right. It's all a matter of how careful I am.
Posted by Pitbull15 7 years ago
Pitbull15
Posted by Romanii 7 years ago
Romanii
Good. Syllogisms are easy to rebut as well because you can easily pin down where the opposing argument is going wrong.
Posted by Pitbull15 7 years ago
Pitbull15
Lol it should be. I'm going to try zmikecuber's technique of syllogizing everything.
Posted by Romanii 7 years ago
Romanii
Anyways, I'm not too upset about you accepting, as you are quite good at this type of stuff, so it should be an interesting debate :D
Posted by Romanii 7 years ago
Romanii
The assumptions of the debate are that an omnibenevolent, omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent God exists.
There are no assumptions about whether or not "his word" exists at all; the debate is just about whether or not the Bible specifically is God's Word...
Posted by Romanii 7 years ago
Romanii
What the heck? How did you accept this debate!? It was set to be off limits to users with lower elo than me!
Posted by Pitbull15 7 years ago
Pitbull15
So this debate is going to be under the assumption that there is a God, and His word exists somewhere on earth, but it may not be the Bible? Then I'll take it.
2 votes have been placed for this debate. Showing 1 through 2 records.
Vote Placed by Sagey 7 years ago
Sagey
RomaniiPitbull15Tied
Agreed with before the debate:Vote Checkmark--0 points
Agreed with after the debate:Vote Checkmark--0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:Vote Checkmark--3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:30
Reasons for voting decision: This was a non-debate, Con really had no opposition so naturally wins, don't know why Pro took up the challenge??????
Vote Placed by ESocialBookworm 7 years ago
ESocialBookworm
RomaniiPitbull15Tied
Agreed with before the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Agreed with after the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Who had better conduct:Vote Checkmark--1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:Vote Checkmark--3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:40
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct- FF & Con Arguments- Pro made none and condeded.