squeakly54n6
killshot

The Bible is repulsive and has no place in a modern society, Change my mind

killshot

squeakly54n6

Pro

Before you prove to me why the Bible isn't repulsive and has a place in a modern society, I will first explain why I and many others believe the Bible is repulsive and has no place in a modern society in the first place. For my argument I will be using direct quotes of the Bible followed by my analysis of this. On that note lets get started.
"You shall acknowledge no God but me. . . . You are destroyed, Israel. . . . The people of Samaria must bear their guilt, Because they have rebelled against their God. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, Their pregnant women ripped open. " (Hosea 13:4, 9, 16 New International Version)
- In this quote God is destroying an entire town including women and children, Simply because they rebelled against him. Surely a loving and forgiving God would forgive the people of Samaria for rebelling against him? Further more massurcurring an entire town just because they don't believe in God is not the way to go about it, Instead of destroying them God could simply try again to save them. If they rebel again, Than God should just leave them alone and not kill them.
" And in those days the tribe of the Danites was seeking a place of their own where they might settle, Because they had not yet come into an inheritance among the tribes of Israel. . . . Then they said to [the priest], 'Please inquire of God to learn whether our journey will be successful. ' The priest answered them, 'Go in peace. Your journey has the Lord's approval. '. . . Then they took what Micah had made, And his priest, And went on to Laish, Against a people at peace and secure. They attacked them with the sword and burned down their city. . . . The Danites rebuilt the city and settled there. " (Judges 18:1"28 NIV)
- In this quote God is once again destroying an entire people so that one of his tribes could live there even though the Tribe living their originally was peaceful and didn't want to harm anyone.
"See, The day of the Lord is coming " a cruel day, With wrath and fierce anger. . . . I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty. . . . Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses will be looted and their wives violated. " (Isaiah 13:9"16 NIV)
- In this quote God is saying that because this group of people were arrogant their infants should be put to death, Their houses should be looted, And their women raped. Once again God is wiping out an entire group of people simply because their arrogant which is once again REPULSIVE.
These 3 quotes are just the tip of the ice berg, Other quotes in the bible state that women shouldn't have any authority or that disobedient teenagers should be stoned to death. While the Bible does have some good lessons to teach such as thou shall not kill, Thou shall not steal, Or love thy neighbor, The Bible overall is repulsive and has no place in a civilized modern society.
However I am very open to someone changing my mind so that being said I hope whomever you are, We can both learn a little something from this debate.
Sources: https://ffrf. Org/faq/state-church/item/26141-the-10-worst-old-testament-verses
https://www. Ranker. Com/list/top-20-bible-passages-to-use-against-fundamentalists/ivana-wynn
killshot

Con

For the record, I am an atheist. I took this challenge because although I disagree with religion as a whole, I do not wish to see it abolished entirely.

I agree with you that the Bible overall is repugnant and disgusting in most of it's passages; however, I do disagree with your argument that it has no place in society.

I would contend that the best societal place for it is academia, Among it's other rivaling mythologies. It's important for people to study and understand our past. Understanding the history of our culture and the mechanics of it's previous and current belief systems can help us in many areas (such as social psychology, History, Conscious evolution, Art and more).

So although we agree mostly, Hopefully this can persuade you to keep an open mind on it's total annihilation.
squeakly54n6

Pro

" although I disagree with religion as a whole, I do not wish to see it abolished entirely. "
- I do not wish to see religion as a whole abolished, Some religions like Buddhism preach good morals and living a long happy life. My problem is mostly Christianity and its other variations since they base their teachings on the bible when the bible is repulsive.
" It's important for people to study and understand our past. Understanding the history of our culture and the mechanics of it's previous and current belief systems can help us in many areas (such as social psychology, History, Conscious evolution, Art and more). "
- I respectfully disagree, Their are plenty of history books from the era of the bible out their for people to read that don't preach genocide, Slavery, Or sexism. Source: https://sfbook. Com/the-evolution-of-the-book. Htm
Even so many stories from the Bible ( particularly from the new testament) are butchered and changed throughout the Bibles history.
- Even if we cast those 2 points aside many stories from the Bible such as Noah's ark and The Crossing Of The Red Sea, Are fiction and never happened. Therefore the Bible should not be a reliable source when it comes to historical documentation or evolution.
killshot

Con

"I respectfully disagree, Their are plenty of history books from the era of the bible out their for people to read that don't preach genocide, Slavery, Or sexism. "

I think you misunderstood my point. I was saying the Bible has it's relevance in many departments of academia for many reasons. Books cannot be written about the Bible without a copy/reference of the original Bible. You need the Bible to write about/teach the Bible in various classrooms of academia. You said the Bible has no place in modern society (paraphrasing). That's a very specific and direct assertion. I was simply providing you a context of society where it belongs as a counter argument. It has a place in many areas of academia. I listed a few as examples. I'm not advocating to teach the metaphors of the Bible as a source of truth or moral compass. I'm simply saying that the Bible is an important part of our history and it can be studied for various reasons in various dimensions of academia.

"Even so many stories from the Bible ( particularly from the new testament) are butchered and changed throughout the Bibles history. "

I totally agree, But that is still something that is important to study and analyze in academia. Understanding the evolution of a religion is important to understanding the evolution of mankind and the progressive movement of our species.

"Even if we cast those 2 points aside many stories from the Bible such as Noah's ark and The Crossing Of The Red Sea, Are fiction and never happened. Therefore the Bible should not be a reliable source when it comes to historical documentation or evolution. "

Once again, You're misunderstanding my argument. I am in no way advocating to use the Bible as a source of historical record. Almost all of the stories of the Bible are either wrong or intended as metaphor. I am saying that the Bible is important for academic study. That's all. For example, We can use the story of Noah's flood to draw correlations to neighboring religions/stories such as the story of Gilgamesh. Understanding the components of the Bible and where they originated helps us to map the components of our social evolution.

To summarize, You said the Bible has "no place in a modern society". I say it has a place in academia.
squeakly54n6

Pro

" I'm simply saying that the Bible is an important part of our history and it can be studied for various reasons in various dimensions of academia. "
- I now understand your point clearly and I apologize for misinterpreting it.
- However I now realize I should have been more clear and concise on my title so I will clarify. I think the Bible is repulsive and the vast majority of its teachings have no place in a modern society unless being studied for academia purposes.
I will have to commend you for changing my mind as this rarely happens throughout the debates I've participated in throughout my life.
killshot

Con

I totally agree with your new premise!

I'm glad we came to a mutual understanding. It was a fun little friendly debate!

Thanks for your time :)
Posted by squeakly54n6 3 years ago
squeakly54n6
@Mr_Popper
How so?
Posted by Mr_Popper 3 years ago
Mr_Popper
This argument is kinda giving me The Giver vibes.
Posted by backwardseden 3 years ago
backwardseden
@squeakly54n6 - Yeah its a very good video. I use the video all the time myself within my debates + quite a few others.
Btw, You have a true racist pig bigoted enemy at your hands who will ---always--- vote against you, No exceptions, None, If you continue to take an atheist side. He's a true coughed up sickened sociopath if there ever was one with no genuine friends or loved ones in his life, A HUGE red flag. All he does, All day is sit around on his computer and plays god thinking he can get his jollies by out-trumping others in the voting proceedure. He, Look at how many votes he's given = over 2, 000, And over 5, 000 forum posts! So my advice is obviously to not quit debating, Obviously, Just to be damn aware of this piece of s--t.
Posted by squeakly54n6 3 years ago
squeakly54n6
@backwardseden
Hmm interesting video. Now that you mention it I do remember watching this video a few years ago. I did coincidently use the same title however I did use different quotes and a different analysis. Once again I did not mean to plagiarize.
Posted by backwardseden 3 years ago
backwardseden
@squeakly54n6 - Sorry about the late reply. I was arguing with others. Here it is. Its a GREAT video! . . .
https://www. Youtube. Com/watch? V=vkXOwBIRX7Y&t=123s - top 10 reasons why the bible is repulsive
I gotta get going. See yah around I hope. I'm always here but won't be here for a little longer than a day.
Posted by squeakly54n6 3 years ago
squeakly54n6
@backwardseden
Sorry but I have no idea what video you are talking about. I did all of my research by reading parts of the Bible myself, And by reading various articles. If I did unintentionally copied arguments from the video than I apologize but I didn't mean to plagiarize.
Posted by backwardseden 3 years ago
backwardseden
OOoo copying from what was said in a video? Shame shame. Nevertheless a damn fine video that scortches the horrific bible and rightly so.
-------------
Matt Dillahunty "I have yet to find an example of a moral standard in your holy book that I find morally correct. Caller "Then if your moral standards are so superior to the living god, Then convert me. " Matt "My moral standard is superior to the character, In fact my moral standards are superior to almost any character in the bible. I have no problem with that. I"ve said it many times and explained it many times before. I could maybe rattle off a list of sins. " "Matt hasn"t killed anybody. How"s about that? " Yeah. I think anybody who advocates slavery is morally inferior. I think anybody that advocates genocide and slaughter is morally inferior. I think anybody that advocates infinite punishment for finite crimes and deeds is morally inferior. I think anybody that is omniscient and omnipotent and omnibenevolent who creates a society to knowing that people are not going to be able to live up to his standards spends an eternity punishing them or spends many thousands of years punishing them trying to correct his mistakes over and over again he creates Adam and Eve they fail he banishes them out of the garden then there"s the tower of babel then there"s the flood there"s well actually there"s the flood then the tower of babel, Sorry I got that backwards, Its failure after failure after failure after failure after failure and then finally it culminates. And the only loophole that the creator of all the laws of the universe can come up with, Why didn"t he just forgive everybody or change the laws? But instead he just comes up with a loophole where he comes down bodily and sacrifices himself to himself to act for a rule that he created? Its absurd. Its laughably absurd. And its immoral. "
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 3 years ago
dsjpk5
squeakly54n6killshotTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession. Also maximizing a counter to a biased vote. Pro conceded.
Vote Placed by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
squeakly54n6killshotTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did concede.
Vote Placed by backwardseden 3 years ago
backwardseden
squeakly54n6killshotTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sources go to Pro as he provided verses. And in turn the most convincing arguments also.