AlphaFSPG107
westerly2004

The Death Penalty is Ethically Acceptable

AlphaFSPG107 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

AlphaFSPG107

Con

1st Round is acceptance only, next 3 are for debate.
westerly2004

Pro

I accept this challenge.

My opponent has not stated what the structure of this debate is so I shall assume the structure is:
Round 2: definitions
Round 2 & 3: short rebuttal and arguments
Round 4: all rebuttal
AlphaFSPG107

Con

Definitions:

Death Penalty: Capital punishment, also known as the death penalty, is a government sanctioned practice whereby a person is put to death by the state as a punishment for a crime.

Hypocrisy: the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

https://www.merriam-webster.com...
https://en.wikipedia.org...
westerly2004

Pro

I challenge the definitions set by my opponent. I agree that capital punishment "is a government sanctioned practice whereby a person is put to death by the state as a punishment for a crime", however, it isn't just any crime that the person is put to death for. They are put to death for capital offences "such as murder or betrayal of one's country".

Source:
- www.dictionary.com/browse/capital-offense
Posted by John_C_1812 3 years ago
John_C_1812
In defense the United States Constitution the Death Penalty is actually Capital Punishment when performed by a State or Federal Government. It is only a death penalty when a accused criminal ended human life. The criminal has no common defense provided by judicial separation of State.