Darth_Unicorns
Alister_Illustratum

The Electoral College System is ridiculous and should be changed

Alister_Illustratum has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Darth_Unicorns

Pro

The Electoral College is a bad way of representing Americans. With only 50.1% of the vote in say, Florida, you could win 29 electoral college votes! That means half of the population is not being represented! This is unfair and has to be changed.
Alister_Illustratum

Con

The Electoral College is not what needs changing, but the way the States decide how to represent their population. Your example of the simple majority of voters can earn all the States Electoral points are a State decision, not one the Electoral College makes. Most states have a "winner-take-all" system that awards all electors to the winning presidential candidate. However, Maine and Nebraska each have a variation of "proportional representation."(https://www.archives.gov...). So your argument that the Electoral College itself needs changing based on how the voters in each state are represented is flawed because of the fact that this decision is not part of the Electoral College, but of the States.
You claim that the EC (Electoral College) is a bad way to represent to population, but this is the best way to do so because of how our political system is set up. For example, say we ditch the EC and go with a simple majority vote in the population, do you think that each state would see an equal amount of campaigning? Based on population percentages, one could campaign in only 9 states and win the election. Would this be fair if over 80% of the states never even saw the President campaign in their state? The Reason the EC is set up the way it is is so each State has campaign value and weight despite its size, making it so each state is likely to see some effort from the candidates to win their votes.
So because the State chooses how to represent its population, you lose your argument of unequal representation, and the main purpose of the EC has not been touched, so you have no standing argument for changing the EC and I have defended all your attacks, thus making this round mine.
Darth_Unicorns

Pro

I did not realise that the ec votes distribution was decided by the states. I thought it was the electoral college.

That was my main arguement and all the others were based off of it. So I can"t debate efficiently. I lose, well done, nice meeting u