gzitman
iLikePeePull

The Electoral College should be abolished

iLikePeePull

gzitman

Pro

The Electoral College is inherently undemocratic and should be replaced with a more equitable electoral system.
iLikePeePull

Con

The purpose of the government is not necessarily to be democratic, In fact, I would say it's quite the contrary. The United States of America is not a full-on democracy, It is a republic. In a republic there is a system which is put in place to protect the minority in said republic. One of the ways the minority is protected is the electoral college. In a full democracy, Presidential candidates would campaign and pander to the "big" cities and place laws that favour them in order to stay in power. In that case, The minority would be oppressed and treated unfairly by the system. In a democracy the majority is not restrained in any way from oppressing the minority.
Another example of this would be the senate. The senate is even less democratic that the electoral college. Each state (no matter the population or size) is represented by 2 senators. This is a form of checks and balances to ensure no law would be passed without knowing that it benefits everyone and not just the mob.
The founders were not oblivious to this. I believe the electoral college was set up to avoid "mob-rule". During a debate Alexander Hamilton once said "If we incline too much to democracy, We shall soon shoot into a monarchy. " Benjamin Franklin wasn't a big fan of democracy either, He once said "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. " John Adams also believed democracy was evil, Once saying "Remember, Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, Exhausts, And murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide. " I think my point is portrayed more accurately by a quote from James Madison "Where a majority are united by a common sentiment, And have an opportunity, The rights of the minor party become insecure. "
The founders of this country had the adverse influences of a democratic system in mind when writing the constitution. Alexander Hamilton once said that real liberty is somewhere in the middle of despotism and democracy, And I believe the electoral college is one of the ways to balance the system.
gzitman

Pro

The united states was founded as a democracy, Not just a republic. The Electoral College system has gone beyond protecting the minority and has instead subverted the will of the majority on several occasions. I don't think candidates would necessarily campaign only in big cities, America is pretty evenly split between urban and rural. I understand your argument about an oppressed minority but in America we have an unrepresented majority in all of the branches of government. It has grown beyond a simple check and it has subverted the will of the people.
iLikePeePull

Con

The united states was founded as a democracy, Not just a republic. "
This statement is inherently false and a common misconception (which I debunked previously). The founders intended for it to NOT be a democracy. It has some democratic features, But the point of it being a republic is that it is not a democracy nor was it founded to be one.

"The Electoral College system has gone beyond protecting the minority and has instead subverted the will of the majority on several occasions. I don't think candidates would necessarily campaign only in big cities, America is pretty evenly split between urban and rural"
The point IS to not have a simple majority mob-rule an entire country. It's not about urban and rural, The populations of California, Texas, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio and Georgia are about 50% of the entire country. Assuming that the % of registered voters is correlated to the % of the population (which it is), Then the ruling president would just pass laws and pander to these 8 states. That means the people living in the other 42 states are not represented in the government. Can you imagine that? The population of 42 states not represented. The electoral college guarantees the representation of all people in the government.

"but in America we have an unrepresented majority in all of the branches of government. It has grown beyond a simple check and it has subverted the will of the people. "

I think there is an unrepresented majority in the house of reps mainly due to gerrymandering, Which is a whole other issue.

I think, Historically speaking, The president has been representative of the majority of the country. The electoral college is certainly not perfect. However, In the vast majority of elections the winner turns out to be the one with the most votes, And because of the electoral college that person had to campaign all over the US instead of just a couple states.
It might have subverted the will of the people in some cases but that isn't congenitally bad for the country in the long run.

I would say the electoral college is defiantly a better system than having the popular vote decide. It might need to be amended to fit the population a little but more, But the system itself, In my opinion, Is the greatest, Fairest one in the world.
What other system would you recommend?
gzitman

Pro

I see your point, I misunderstood the function of the Electoral College. I was reading more about it online, And I came across an interesting argument; Should China have more seats than the US in the UN General assembly? I agree that a countries size shouldn't dictate its representation, And I guess the same could be said for states. I still don't like the fact that only one political party in this country is benefiting from this system though. Anyways, You win.
iLikePeePull

Con

Yeah I don't like that either, But the solution defiantly isn't abandoning the entire system.
Anyway,
Thanks :) nice talking to you
gzitman

Pro

How do we end this debate?
iLikePeePull

Con

just write anything
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 3 years ago
dsjpk5
gzitmaniLikePeePullTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.