AmericanDebator1776
redshinx

The Greatest Cause of the Civil War Was Slavery

Updated: 6 days ago Status: Post Voting Period

AmericanDebator1776

Pro

First round is acceptance
redshinx

Con

The greatest cause of the civil war was in no way shape or form slavery.
AmericanDebator1776

Pro

Thank you valued audience and respected opponent for giving me your time as I present my argument as to why the greatest cause of the Civil War was slavery. Let me begin by first examining the second national confederate flag that was attempted to be used as the flag of the confederacy for reference the one I am referring to is the entirely white with the battle flag in the top left hand corner. This flag was written about in the "the Savannah Morning News editor William Tappan Thompson, With assistance from William Ross Postell, A Confederate blockade runner, Published an editorial championing a design featuring the battle flag on a white background he referred to later as "The White Man's Flag. "[6] In explaining the white background, Thompson wrote, "As a people we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause. " (Wikipedia) I ask how can a flag that represents the very idea of white supremacy and racism which represented the confederacy for a sum of years not give factual proof that the Southern states were defending their right to slavery or as most would see their "right" to racism.

According to the site battlefields. Org which holds recorded Primary source documentation of all Confederate states Declaration of Causes of Secession a simple search will reveal that in the 11 Southern states declarations "slave" is mentioned 83 times. Georgia beginning their secession letter with quote "For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery. " Mississippi also beginning their declaration with quote "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world" Texas as well stating "She was received as a commonwealth holding, Maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--. My opponent will attempt to counter my argument claiming it to be about state rights and constitutional attacks by the North and rightfully so as each secession declaration mentioned the North's attack and violation of the Constitutional law many times but do not be fooled these so called "states rights" were the rights of slavery the 'invasion' by the North was about removing the right of the South to own slaves and while it would be neglectful of me to claim no other factors contributed to the war outbreak as many did slavery was beyond the biggest cause of the civil war and the Southern states secession from the Union.

It boils down to quote Col Ty Seidule the head department of history at West point that "Many people don't want to believe that the citizens of the southern states were willing to fight and die for a morally repugnant cause. " The Confederacy was no doubt fighting for slavery as the vice presdent of the Confederacy Alexander Stephens tells the south "Our government was founded on slavery. It's foundations are laid, It's concerns rest, Upon the great truth that the Negro is not equal to the white man. "
redshinx

Con

redshinx forfeited this round.
AmericanDebator1776

Pro

As my opponent has given no counter I see no reason to give a rebuttal.
redshinx

Con

redshinx forfeited this round.
AmericanDebator1776

Pro

No argument has been presented by opponent.
redshinx

Con

redshinx forfeited this round.
Posted by Leaning 1 week ago
Leaning
Heh, Figures someone with the name Calhoun would say that. Myself, I'm not inclined to say the civil war was about slavery. But, 'I can hardly deny that it was an large topic in the day. People arguing about what the new states ought to be and so on. Plenty of abolitionists stirring things up. Much of the Lincoln and Douglas debates being about slavery.

I still think that the civil war was 'more about state rights, Nationalism, And so on than slavery. But, I haven't read enough about that portion of history to give a good debate on it.

Not quite sure how I feel about 'slavery. But I certainly don't care for inheritable slavery. Eh, Even capturing and selling innocents to be sold to slavery is also annoying. A chain gang for prisoners is a bit more understandable to me, Or even prisoners in times of turbulent war. But, We don't really live in those times. Feels more like an old Greek city state kind of culture.
Posted by John_C_1812_II 1 week ago
John_C_1812_II
The argument is that slavery can be proven illegal as a united State Constitutional principle. As it is created from an act of War both foreign or domestic. Might be a better way to word it.
Posted by John_C_1812_II 1 week ago
John_C_1812_II
@ Thoht
It was not a cause of the Civil War the end of slavery did not take place with the civil war. Slavery is/was an act created by War. The issue of Civil War was over self-funding, Money, And international trade.
Posted by AmericanDebator1776 1 week ago
AmericanDebator1776
Rephrased the questions thanks for the recommendation.
Posted by Thoht 1 week ago
Thoht
No war has a single cause. It's a bit nitpicky to say the claim is that it was 100% of the purpose, But it was the single greatest cause.

A lot of people will say "state's rights" but in this case it's literally the state's right to own slaves, So that argument doesn't go far.
Posted by Leaning 1 week ago
Leaning
Well of course parts of the civil war were about slavery. But all of it?