AmericanDebator1776
Jeter1011

The Greatest Cause of the Civil War Was Slavery

AmericanDebator1776

Pro

First round is acceptance
Jeter1011

Con

AmericanDebator1776

Pro

Thank you valued audience and respected opponent for giving me your time as I present my argument as to why the greatest cause of the Civil War was slavery. Let me begin by first examining the second national confederate flag that was attempted to be used as the flag of the confederacy for reference the one I am referring to is the entirely white with the battle flag in the top left hand corner. This flag was written about in the "the Savannah Morning News editor William Tappan Thompson, With assistance from William Ross Postell, A Confederate blockade runner, Published an editorial championing a design featuring the battle flag on a white background he referred to later as "The White Man's Flag. "[6] In explaining the white background, Thompson wrote, "As a people we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause. " (Wikipedia) I ask how can a flag that represents the very idea of white supremacy and racism which represented the confederacy for a sum of years not give factual proof that the Southern states were defending their right to slavery or as most would see their "right" to racism.

According to the site battlefields. Org which holds recorded Primary source documentation of all Confederate states Declaration of Causes of Secession a simple search will reveal that in the 11 Southern states declarations "slave" is mentioned 83 times. Georgia beginning their secession letter with quote "For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery. " Mississippi also beginning their declaration with quote "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world" Texas as well stating "She was received as a commonwealth holding, Maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--. My opponent will attempt to counter my argument claiming it to be about state rights and constitutional attacks by the North and rightfully so as each secession declaration mentioned the North's attack and violation of the Constitutional law many times but do not be fooled these so called "states rights" were the rights of slavery the 'invasion' by the North was about removing the right of the South to own slaves and while it would be neglectful of me to claim no other factors contributed to the war outbreak as many did slavery was beyond the biggest cause of the civil war and the Southern states secession from the Union.

It boils down to quote Col Ty Seidule the head department of history at West point that "Many people don't want to believe that the citizens of the southern states were willing to fight and die for a morally repugnant cause. " The Confederacy was no doubt fighting for slavery as the vice presdent of the Confederacy Alexander Stephens tells the south "Our government was founded on slavery. It's foundations are laid, It's concerns rest, Upon the great truth that the Negro is not equal to the white man. "
Jeter1011

Con

Hello, And thank you for having me. While Slavery was one of the biggest causes of the Civil war, It is hard for me to say that it is the greatest cause. First off, I'd like to review the first form of government that the United States ever had; the United States firstly operated under a confederacy. During the United States' first ten years as a country it operated under the Articles of Confederation, "Each state retains its sovereignty, Freedom, And independence, And every power, Jurisdiction, And right, Which is not by this Confederation expressly delegated to the United States, In Congress assembled. " (Articles of Confederation), This proposes that each state operates as its own, Independent, Government. Many Southerners supported this system of government, A government with a weak central system, Thomas Jefferson was a spearhead of this form of government and continued to push it. The majority of the South supported Jefferson in this governmental system and wanted it to continue, However, The system was abolished with the drafting and execution of the Constitution of the United States of America which, As you know, Replaced the Confederation with a Federation (a system with a strong government).

The idea of a Confederation instead of a Federation continued to burn in the hearts of the Southerners, As they believed the system was superior to the Federated system that we had and still have to this day. This is clearly seen in the Constitution for the Confederate States of America which says, "We, The people of the Confederate States, Each State acting in its sovereign and independent character, In order to form a permanent federal government, Establish justice, Insure domestic tranquility, And secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God do ordain and establish this Constitution for the Confederate States of America. " (Preamble, Constitution of the Confederate States). It can be observed that the Preamble states, ". . . Each State acting in its sovereign and independent character. . . " (Preamble, Constitution of the United States) which shows similarity to the Articles of Confederation which also mention state independence when it states, "Each state retains its sovereignty, Freedom, And independence, And every power, Jurisdiction, And right, Which is not by this Confederation expressly delegated to the United States, In Congress assembled. " (Articles of Confederation).

Another major argument on why the civil war started was because of President Lincolns view on the states having a right to secede. President A. Lincoln believed that the states do not have the right to secede, "Abraham Lincoln purposely provoked the Civil War by attempting to resupply Fort Sumter in April 1861 became a cornerstone of the reinterpretation of the Civil War after the defeat of the Confederacy in 1865" (Lonnie Bunch). This is evidence to show that Abraham Lincoln started the war, Not because of slavery but because he did not believe that the states had rights to secede from the union. As said earlier, A couple of states who continued to practice the horrific acts of slavery remained in the Union throughout the civil war, "The border slave states of Maryland, Delaware, Kentucky, And Missouri remained with the Union. . . " (history. Com)
AmericanDebator1776

Pro

AmericanDebator1776 forfeited this round.
Jeter1011

Con

Pro forfeited round two, I cannot and will not provide an argument until a contradictory argument to my previous argument is provided by pro.
AmericanDebator1776

Pro

Jeter1011

Con

Jeter1011 forfeited this round.
Posted by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
Hmm, I'm guessing the three comments below didn't care for the Confederacy.
Posted by billsands 3 years ago
billsands
there realy is no doubt the confederates deny it because they want sympathy they deserve none
Posted by Thoht 3 years ago
Thoht
Probably because it's more silly of a thing to argue against even than whether or not the Earth is spherical or flat or whether or not we landed on the moon.
Posted by AmericanDebator1776 3 years ago
AmericanDebator1776
Sadly not it seems the my contender no longer wishes to debate.
Posted by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
No luck in an opponent, The last debate, Eh?