omar2345
VivaMexico

The Internet is more of a source for bad than it is good

omar2345

Pro

Internet: a global computer network providing a variety of information and communication facilities, Consisting of interconnected networks using standardized communication protocols.

Bad= negative
Good= positive
I will leave it this open so that Con can provide what they deem positive of the Internet

Humans are built with reward systems. The brain identifies how the individual gets the rewards and positions the person as so.

Lets take a heroin addict. The brain would trigger a dopamine effect or incentivise the person to wait at their local stop due to the last time the individual felt that rush was due to the serious of steps he took and the brain realised standing near the local shop was the determining factor of getting that dopamine effect.

Sure heroin provides a higher dose of dopamine but the sheer amount on the Internet provides a much higher consistency. This is bad because the more you are on the Internet the less your brain would motivate doing something offline. The more you lose touch with reality outside the Internet the more difficult it becomes to have motivation of doing so. Without motivation you are essentially forcing yourself to do something. It might be the right thing to do but the brain does not think that way. The Internet has increased this problem of getting a dopamine effect with little effort.

Twitter
As much I dislike it, It still gives a consistent supply of dopamine with little effort. When looking through things you like it wasn't difficult to do and attain something rewarding. The more you come accustomed to it the more the brain would be signalling a sort of addiction pattern to the brain. With the little effort and consistent results why would you do something difficult in hopes of a dopamine effect that is not even consistent? Weighing out options it is clear that the Internet consistently rewards and involves less effort.

Just my thoughts and would like an opposing opinion. The title is a generalisation which I am okay with defending.

Thank you for anyone who takes up this debate.
May we both learn something new.
VivaMexico

Con

Hello. I was really debating whether or not I'm really against this but, I'm sure as most people can say, The internet, No matter how unnatural to the lizard brain of the human race it is, Actually does some good.

I have to say your analogy to a heroin addict is highly realistic and logical. Kudos to you! But, Even if it may be the case for most of what the internet would call "neckbeards" these people sometimes use their close attachment to the internet to find a great purpose in life.

There's no contest in finding the answer as to why those who are "internet addicts, " live unhealthy lifestyles. Their lack of physical activity definitely is the reason for them becoming the stereotypical internet trolls that live in their mom's basement. But, Some of these people as I said earlier can do some good or find purpose in life that the active and social world wouldn't. For example lets have a hypothetical Jason we'll call him.

Jason first started using the internet in 2006 at the age of 8 and now at age 18 in 2016, His strong attachment to the internet has practically raised him. YouTube personalities like Markiplier or UberHaxorNova in exchange for teaching him how to curse, Gave him a comedic personality to make friends for the first time at school.
By the time he was a teenager in middle school he had begun to take some political opinions that oppose his parents after looking around and finding some obscure ideas from people like Xexizy, Armored Skeptic, And learned history from Feature History and History Buffs. By the time he's a freshmen he is now an atheist and a socialist. After his senior with some help from friends and advice from online friends he played with on Steam, He comes out to his parents as a homosexual.

I'm sure that there are hypothetical situations that make much more since but if you TL;DR'd then here is the basic summary.

The internet gave Jason an anonymity and place of privacy where he could learn who he was and how to express his thoughts. While in contrast if he had been an extrovert and got his news and political views from the media, His parents could scold him and tell him to watch "x" news instead, Limiting his access to alternate opinions.

In a nutshell all i'm saying is that even if they might end up living an unhealthy lifestyle, It could help them become a better person or find out who they are.
omar2345

Pro

Thank for taking up this debate and what I read I really liked your responses.
Sorry about the word count. Keep forgetting to increase it to 10, 000.

Even if it may be the case for most. . . great purpose in life.
I mainly created this debate because it has personally impacted me but will keep it out if I can. About finding purpose in life. You can find purpose in anything. The more important conversation would be whether or not the person will be healthy purusing this purpose. I would say any long term usage of the internet makes you detached from reality. This is bad because not everything can be done online and when we do have requirements to meet offline the dopamine levels would be incentivsing to carry on using the internet rather then going to sleep or eating. Sure you can have food right next to you and some people are even able to sleep next to the computer but it is not a healthy lifestyle. More than likely this person eats fast food or something that is easily made in order to reduce time off the internet and the brain does incentivise as well. Why would you want to make your own food when you are taking more time off when you are happy? If the goal of life is happiness then we should all reduce the amount of time spent on something that does not make us happy and increase it on what does. Sure that is not the worst way to live your life but there is a limit to what a person can do on the internet. It will be difficult to change and not use the internet in order to buy groceries or have a goodnight sleep. This will make the person unhealthy but they are still happy so they do not mind. Another problem with having the consistent frequency of happiness from one thing over a long period is that the happiness you derive from it will lessen. An example would be eating your favourite food. I like chicken. If I aet chicken every single day eventually I will get bored of it. That is also the case with using the internet. Sure there is much variety but you will be accustomed to the things you already watch because it would be too much work find something else you like which in turn makes you less happy when finding new things.
Hopefully that was not too much to read.

There's no contest in finding the answer as to why those who are "internet addicts, " live unhealthy lifestyles.
I am still keeping that in there even though you agreed with me.

I said earlier can do some good or find purpose in life that the active and social world wouldn't.
I would fit here but there are problems with this. When someone does want become socialble it is difficult to interact to people. Starting off as sociable or being sociable for a longer period of time is much better than being anti-social. Anti-social is hardly a trait needed to enjoy stuff on the internet but socialble is required in order to be good at communicating with people. The Internet does not support such a thing and only helps feed people's desires. Finding purpose in life does come at a cost and I would say having a primarliy internet focused lifestyle is worse than finding meaing in a more traditional job. Reason is a traditional job requires more effort which in returns in some way improves you as a person while giving you a healthy does of dopamine whereas on the internet since everything is so efficient your mind in some scenarios cannot cope with the level of information and happiness you are gaining. You can have a Steam account, Twitter account and a Youtube account. When you are bored of Steam just go to Twitter. When you are bored of Twitter go to Youtube then the cycle can start over. Meaning there isn't a moment of relaxation instead there is instant gratification and why would people turn this down? They don't which is why there are many weeabo's on the internet which turn down their culture for the Japanese one for a internet based Japanese culture. Not a weeabo by the way. I would have an Anime profile picture if I was.

YouTube personalities like Markiplier or UberHaxorNova in exchange for teaching him how to curse
Watched Nova when he was making Minecraft videos. Now from time to time I watch CowChop videos. Guess somethings do not change.

Gave him a comedic personality to make friends for the first time at school.
Fixed with a like-minded people instead of what people actually think. It is like with furries. They have these friends that also like furries but become oblivious of people who do not like it or stay away from them meaning it becomes a crutch. Sticking to a sub class like that does not help in gaining different viewpoints instead reinforces what you already like. The downside of this is people becoming far lefties and the alt-right. If no one's tells them how bad they are how are they meant to change. Sure this can happen outside the internet but more than likely in a job you would have to deal with someone who has a different opinion. Which means you are not oblivious to different opinions. About the school thing. Sure you can find people who also like something like Fornite or World of Warcraft but then that just leads you to become addicted to those games and not being in touch with reality outside the internet. Children would much rather stay inside and play Fornite then go outside and play. Humans require sunlight excersie etc which will be lacking when playing Fornite all day. This isn't helped by bad parents and lack there of direction in someone's life when they have to find purpose. Their parents let them play all day and they want him do something with his/her life. The parents have screwed their childhood and since as adults you are in control of your ownself are left with the burden of past mistakes like gaming all day and bad parenting which is sad really.

By the time he was a teenager in middle school he had begun to take some political opinions that oppose his parents after looking around and finding some obscure ideas from people like Xexizy, Armored Skeptic, And learned history from Feature History and History Buffs. By the time he's a freshmen he is now an atheist and a socialist.
Guess this would be me as well but I am more envious of what I could have become without being addicted to the internet. I was good at sports and had the potential of high grades. When my first computer came along I was drawn to it and never left while my parents just mostly did not care. Yes now I have a better understanding of the world but that came at a cost. I am not sociable and find it difficult to do stuff outside the internet. This has affected my grades and people who I knew. Yeah sure I played my favourite games but I miss out on being more stable instead of being addicted to the internet.

After his senior with some help from friends and advice from online friends he played with on Steam, He comes out to his parents as a homosexual.
Steam is great. I am not a homosexual but I do understand how the internet does help you comes to term with being gay is not a choice and realising opposition comes from Religious people who can be your parents. Given the situation your parents disown you, Accept you or maybe never talked to you again. Guess it depends on the situations.

The internet gave Jason an anonymity and place of privacy where he could learn who he was and how to express his thoughts.
People need relief sure but with anonymity it gives less meaning in their actions. When saying your gay on the internet is less meaningful than telling your parents. Most likely you have been with your parents longer than you have been on the internet.

While in contrast if he had been an extrovert and got his news and political views from the media
The only thing I think to make an extrovert the best option is if there is the condition of being open minded. This allows the person to be able to have their mind changed.

It could help them become a better person or find out who they are.
I find that difficult to believe.
VivaMexico

Con

'Ello looks like we might finish this in a day! Alright allons-y.

The paragraph for "I mainly created this debate. . . :"
I agree that their unhealthy attachment will lead to these things where they choose a poor diet, Poor physical activity, Etc. If we're talking about the worst to moderate cases in severity that is, How attached they are to their computers, They will definitely see severe health problems develop.
I really have nothing wrong with this argument as it's a pretty obvious and undeniable fact. Sitting on a computer all day, Is definitely not healthy. Now whether or not that is the fault of the internet, If you wouldn't mind me going back to the main purpose of this debate, That is different. One cannot exactly blame the entity of the internet for the choices of these people. Let's go back to probably the closest thing to the internet before the 1980's.
Now for the purpose of this analogy I'm going to get a few things straight. First off, The internet, Besides being a global electronic network, Is an entity of information and variety. This is the key part, Information and variety.
Now before the 1980's where did you have to go to get information? A library.
It's probably just a sterotype but, This is highly possible given that the hierarchy of American schools haven't changed that much. While everyone is socializing in the cafeteria or the hallways or whatever, The "nerds" shall we say, Of the American schools, Stay in the library. A nerd sitting down in a library because, He is anti-social, Anxious, Etc, Will read books of fantasy, History, Realistic fiction, Etc. Not too different from what the internet is for. While a library has books on stories that the nerd can relate to, The internet has actual people sharing their experiences.

Now. If they spend all their time in there just as a user may do on the internet, Will they eventually become less happy? Probably. They'll probably feel lonely, And if there are other people there, They might try to socialize only to fail, Or dwell on things that happened during the day and try to lose themselves in the world of literature.

In the case of TL;DR, The precursor to the internet, The public library, Has about the same effects as the internet, To serve the same purpose to the types of people we're talking about.

That might have been a bit too long.

The paragraph on "Gave him a comedic personality. . . "
I don't know how you would feel about me using my life as an example but, You can use one from your own or something similar if you want. But, This is the best way I can explain it.
I have a friend in RL that is highly different from me, He's straight, White, Conservative, And we disagree on practically anything. What do we bond on? Video games, Music, Art, Etc.
Just because, Someone is part of one fanbase or has interests in one thing doesn't mean they'll use their attraction to that in order to use it as a "crutch. " Some fanbases branch out to other communities and interests. I find this happens a lot with like the MLP or furry communities. These communities attract a lot of artists, Members of the LGBT community, And maybe on a lower note, People with mental illness. The older kids get the more they are kind of forced to socialize to adapt and survive Middle School and especially High School. Unless a kid is a sociopath or anti-social they shouldn't have any problem finding other things to talk about. But, As with most you've talked about, These worst case users that are actually severely addicted to the internet, They might have trouble. But, Just people using the internet for a slightly unhealthy amount of time, Are probably mentally clean.

Everything else is fine until "I find that difficult to believe. "
Why should it be hard to believe? The internet surprisingly has brought many acts of good to become reality. GoFundMe pages help raise money for cancer treatment, Court cases, And projects to help people pull themselves up by their bootstraps, With a little help. YouTube communities and fandoms band together in events in which one of their own has gone through harsh times. For example, Markiplier's health issues, "Jesus H Christ's" custody case, Angry Grandpa, Boogie's health problems and issues with depression. Even if some of these people had spent an unhealthy amount of time growing attached to these figures, Their attachment helped aid a collective community effort to help or comfort these figures or their fans when they go through hard times. Go down to the comments of any "My issues with x" situation and there will be those to talk about their own experiences with abuse, Depression, Bullying, Etc. Then the replies will mostly be by people who are highly empathetic and probably the same type of people.

Now of course there is 4-chan, Reddit and all the cancerous batches of trolls that exist on the internet. But, Here's the thing. Eventually as you said with the chicken analogy, "having the consistent frequency of happiness from one thing over a long period is that happiness you derive from it will lessen. " This will happen for these trolls. They have lives too (no matter how sad) and eventually they have to mature. Now whether or not there are bots whether of a certain nationality or not, That's a different topic of debate.

Basically to prepare for the final round. There is health issues that come from this, And active time on the internet shouldn't go unsupervised. But, Some good might come out of it. People can change, People can become more open minded to the diversity of the internet and come to accept that there are some differing opinions out there, And agree to disagree.

People can unite around an idea on the internet and do some real good. But, Anyways I'll give it back to you now.

Good stuff!
omar2345

Pro

Sorry about that.

One cannot exactly blame the entity of the Internet for the choices of these people.
Yes in a sense it is the human who makes the choice to use the Internet but the amount the Internet offers comes from nowhere else. It becomes a consistent dopamine effect where others entities cannot. The human should not be blamed for being addicted to the Internet due to the lack of education there is on this topic. If no one knows how addictive the Internet can be why should I blame humans instead of the people who are responsible for it. Maybe just have a day for Internet awareness. Harmful effects of it and nothing cringey. I remember re creational videos of what teachers says are true events but I always found them funny due to poor acting and generally awful filming. I would much rather they go through various scientific papers or videos which address both pros and cons of the Internet.

He is anti-social, Anxious, Etc, Will read books of fantasy, History, Realistic fiction, Etc. Not too different from what the Internet is for. While a library has books on stories that the nerd can relate to, The Internet has actual people sharing their experiences.
With books there are fairly limited and the anti-social child is forced to read books that will he not read if he had books that he liked. Meaning eventually he will learn new ideas while improving his English. This improves grades and a general understanding on particular topics the book offers. The problem with gaining information on the Internet is that there is so much fake news, Time wasting that it is difficult to find the right information. The library pick books which they deem okay for the school whereas the Internet is uncensored. Meaning when looking for information you can find a dodgy advertisement. If the person is not aware of avoiding these they will fall into the trap and the results may vary. They might become porn addicted or lose money due to bad use of a credit card. You can't really become addicted to porn if there are no pleasing pictures and lose your money if there isn't any books to buy.

Or dwell on things that happened during the day and try to lose themselves in the world of literature.
With this they can improve their grades in English. The Internet is so vast that people can be sidetracked by something new happening. They lose track of what they need to do because of how limitless the Internet is.

But, As with most you've talked about, These worst case users that are actually severely addicted to the Internet, They might have trouble. But, Just people using the Internet for a slightly unhealthy amount of time, Are probably mentally clean.
Lets say the majority of people on the Internet use some form of Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. I don't think it is a stretch to say the left have the monopoly over the social media industry. This does not mean they are biased but evidence has been found out that they are. Source is a video explaining it and the source he was describing.

https://www. Youtube. Com/watch? V=N6gjkEOqgpg
It Isn’t Your Imagination: Twitter Treats Conservatives More Harshly Than Liberals (Quillette)
Link did not work which is why I copied the heading and where it is from.

The Internet surprisingly has brought many acts of good to become reality. GoFundMe pages
I found a site which gave GoFundeMe a 1 start with 197 reviews. Meaning people who voice their opinion find GoFundeMe is a worse service more than it is a good one.

https://www. Consumeraffairs. Com/business/gofundme. Html

Markiplier's health issues, "Jesus H Christ's" custody case, Angry Grandpa, Boogie's health problems and issues with depression.
My guess is that if you have a certain amount of presence online then GoFundeMe will make that the priority to fund whereas a typical user of GoFundeMe who wants money for whatever purpose tends to be less of a priority. So much so that it warrants consumers about 197 to average out a review of 1 star. I rather GoFundMe help everyone instead of the people on top.

Now of course there is 4-chan, Reddit and all the cancerous batches of trolls that exist on the Internet.
Most I think it is the subreddits not the entire site as a whole. Politics subreddit I have heard is cancerous whereas as others like unpopularopinions are not.

Some good might come out of it. People can change, People can become more open minded to the diversity of the Internet and come to accept that there are some differing opinions out there, And agree to disagree.
I still take the position it has been more worse than good when Internet has become the norm of communication. The anonymity only allows people to influence their urges it only a few rise up and actively move away from bad things on the Internet. Which is why Millenials are generally looked down upon. They were generation which had the Internet and most of them did not come outside a better person instead a biased individual not caring about different opinions which is fueled by social media like Twitter. When you go to Ben Shapiro's twitter mostly everyone agrees. When you go to Ocasio Cortez's mostly everyone agrees. That is because of how Twitter operates. It does not want you to change your mind instead stay the same with the recommendations on the side for people to follow. When people do view a more nuanced position like Tim Pool. Most of his fanbase are either independents and Republicans because most lefties care about the person who is saying the idea rather than if the idea is true. I might be wrong but when I watch him I hardly see opinions on the opposite like vote for Bernie instead I see vote for Trump. Even though Republicans disagree they show more willing to have a discussion or view content outside them from people like Tim Pool who is a centre left. Meanwhile there are hardly any lefties watching Tim Pool. My opinion but comments do seem really clear on this.

Millennials stand out for their technology use, But older generations also embrace digital life (Pew Research)
VivaMexico

Con

VivaMexico forfeited this round.
Posted by Kvng_8 3 years ago
Kvng_8
Also, White people don't have to worry about being called monkeys. Or being made fun of about having full lips and etc. Yeah privilege alright. Have a good day.
Posted by Kvng_8 3 years ago
Kvng_8
"Most ignorant people on here" when I said "on here" I meant *on the internet
Posted by Kvng_8 3 years ago
Kvng_8
I know and seen what you said but I don't understand how it debunks it.

You mentioned me killing myself twice. You used it as an insult, Proof because you assume I'm suicidal when I'm not. . . . . . Most ignorant people on here resort to the "kill yourself" thing when they have some deep rooted issues their self. Because suicide isn't a joke and I don't come wishing death on others.

"Don't kill yourself if you need an idea on what I actually meant. " - Did I ever say I was killing myself? You made up this imaginary assumption. Again, I'm done. Have a good day.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@Kvng_8

"Okay keep claiming that I'm assuming when all the facts are right here. "Anime profile picture" yikes. "
Cherry picking yikes. Completely missed out what I said in the previous sentence.

"Now you're wishing death on me? "
Another point for you being deluded. My statement at best says you are suicidal does not mean I want you to kill yourself.

"Continue to be pathetic as hell. "
That is rich coming from you. You made that entire paragraph of a misrepresentation of what I said. Don't kill yourself if you need an idea on what I actually meant.
Posted by Kvng_8 3 years ago
Kvng_8
honestly *sad
Posted by Kvng_8 3 years ago
Kvng_8
You finally explained the privilege. Okay. Have a good day.
Posted by Kvng_8 3 years ago
Kvng_8
You keep calling me deluded yet you havent even explained what you're talking about. You're supposed to explain, Not just say something. You're the one who's very deluded to still think there's black privilege. Nevertheless. I mean I already won clearly in our Black privilege debate and even the conversation in our messages about black privilege and about race, I won and rebutted all of your points. So all of this is irrelevant.

Okay keep claiming that I'm assuming when all the facts are right here. "Anime profile picture" yikes.

"only one stopping you from killing yourself"? I'm lost. You're very deluded and you must be mad. It's not that serious. Mr. "I don't insult people I debate back, I don't get on their level" all this other BS. Hypocrite. Now you're wishing death on me? I must have struck a nerve, Poor kid. How did it come to a point where you're wishing death on someone else? Do you honestly think that I'll kill myself over a pathetic miserable little boy? You're the one who's steady pushing buttons and keeping the drama up. Talk all the cold cash sh-t you want behind a keyboard but you're them type of dudes who get their a-ss beat or even sliced up and killed because of their mouth. Wanna act hard online but a b-ch irl. Yeah you wanna pop off and talk all this sh-t and wanna go there, Then lets go there then. I ain't with the foolishness. You've talked waaaaaay too much mess on here and it's honestly said. Come to where I'm at with the same energy and you'll get killed. *Sips tea* Wanna tell me to kill myself well that's how you might get killed. Anyways, I'm done now. Have a great day. :) Continue to be pathetic as hell.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@Kvng_8

"White people don't have to worry about their skin being made fun of being compared to dirt and to feces. "
Missing out the advantage of melanin.

Get lost. Why are you even here? Does it feed your addiction or am I the only one stopping you from killing yourself?
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@Kvng_8

"You still haven't explained how its a privilege. I explained how it isn't a privilege, You only stated again that it isn't a privilege without explaining how. "
You clearly are deluded. I feel sorry for you.
This is what I said:
"Privelege: a special right, Advantage, Or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group.
You really are deluded. Whites do not have high melanin therefore there is black privilege. "
Blacks have more of something that whites do not have. This means blacks have the privilege of having more melanin. The advantage of this is that it protects DNA from damage.

"I didnt come here for attention I commented since you talked mess about me so I checked you. "
Again deluded. You came here for attention because you stated something on an assumption. If you came here to check me out you would actually want to know what you are going to check me out on instead of assuming.

"You aren't the opponent in many debates yet you comment on tons of them putting yourself in everyones business. "
I gave my stance and they can either reply or do not. The problem is that I am not assuming something instead stating something that is in the debate.

"This does concern me because theres a possiblity that you were talking about me"
Possiblity? Really? I said no yet you are still here. Attention seeking drama queen.

"I make you happy to keep talking about me. "
It is the other way around. Which is why you instigated this conversation. Hope you don't kill yourself without having someone to talk. Do try and get some help instead of feeding your addiction. I might not care but someone close to you sure does yet you are still here feeding your addiction. Stop it. Get some help.
Posted by Kvng_8 3 years ago
Kvng_8
White people don't have to worry about their skin being made fun of being compared to dirt and to feces.