eXclusua
shyamjaxsnipe

The Lives of Human Beings are Not Pre-Determined

eXclusua

eXclusua

Pro

"Destiny, " "Fate" - many terms are used to define the notion that human beings are not in control of their own lives. There are varying degrees to this belief however; some conclude that humans have control over individual thought and smaller choices we believe to be inconsequential, But larger life events are not within our control. Others believe everything down to a human being's very essence is predetermined.
Whether this belief is rationalized by the existence of some anthropomorphic entity, Or simply cogs that make up the universe, They all boil down to the same thing: pre-determinism.
I reject this. I believe in such things as free will and unique, Independent thought.
The universe is in a constant state of expansion; expanding faster than the speed of light. I believe this expansion is to accommodate the creation of parallel realities - trillions of which are created every second. These realities are created by the choices every living being makes; to stay home, To go to work, Etc. If everything was pre-determined, There would be no parallel realities (or at least far fewer) and no expansion because there would be no choice involved - simply living out one's mapped out existence like a wind-up toy.

Thoughts?
shyamjaxsnipe

Con

In order to understand the purpose of this debate you must understand the definition of fate. There is of course a dictionary definition for fate, But of course many people have different ideas of fate. I believe fate is the determination of your future, But not just in this life. Fate is implementing past decisions in past lives and putting into place for the present life and future lives. This is the idea of karma.
eXclusua

Pro

Okay so if I'm understanding you correctly, I think you're basing it on the presupposition that fate exists - then you go into what exactly fate is, In this case involving previous/future timelines and how these things relate to karma. I'm a little confused as to what your actual argument is, As well as any evidence you have to support it? It sounds like you have an interesting theory, I'd love for you to extrapolate on it a bit more.
My contention is this: karma, Good or bad, Does not result from us abiding to our own timeline based on our previous ones. I believe karma is a whole other debate, Which can be defined as either (a) random disconnected events that we perceive have a meaningful connection to our prior behaviors or (b) events whose qualities or outcomes are directly related to the nature of our previous actions or behaviors. However, I digress - this is not what I meant to debate today (although this is an excellent idea for a future debate). So, To get back on topic:
Fate is defined, According to the Oxford Dictionary, As the development of conditions beyond a person's control, Regarded as determined by a supernatural power. I reject this notion, As I previously stated, Because I believe the evidence of universe expansion directly correlates to the magnitude of the number of newfounded parallel realities the are created each second. If everything occurred in conditions related to a high power, Therefore, There would be no choices. Therefore, No parallel realities would be created - and if no parallel realities were created, The universe could not be expanding.
Now let's say for instance that you're making the argument regarding the Big Bang and the Big Crunch, Cycling over and over again. That the universe started out with the Big Bang, Will continue to expand, And then will collapse back together into the same pin-size mass of infinite density that will explode into the Big Bang again - creating the exact same conditions that this universe is in today. And while, Regarding creation of matter that may be true - in that it will form celestial bodies that can support life, I believe that the expressions of these celestial bodies and the inhabitants of them will be different every time. I can't speak to a statistical model of this, Since we have no way of knowing what occurred in previous models of our universe. However, I believe it is incredibly unlikely that matter being flung out into the universe in a giant explosion and subsequently coming together to form the exact planets and inhabitants that exist now is incredibly unlikely - if not impossible.
In this case, Things will always be different each time. It is not pre-determined by this Big-Bang, Big-Crunch theory as it relates to fate.
shyamjaxsnipe

Con

shyamjaxsnipe forfeited this round.
eXclusua

Pro

Any further points to make, Shyamjaxsnipe?
shyamjaxsnipe

Con

shyamjaxsnipe forfeited this round.
Posted by billsands 3 years ago
billsands
i used to beleive we had choices the older i get i realize most things are determined by our genes and our enviroment
Posted by Zifsha.2 3 years ago
Zifsha.2
Great topic and great debate
Vote Placed by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
eXclusuashyamjaxsnipeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not forfeit. Since Con did not elaborate on what he/she meant. Pro was left with assumptions to fill in the gaps. Since he/she did forfeit Pro did not get clarification.