carefettes
iamagoat

The Men's Rights Movement is Unnecessary

carefettes

Pro

In light of the men's rights movement as a response to the #MeToo movement, I thought it could be insightful to start this debate.

In my opinion, The men's rights movement is unnecessary and offensive to women who have been victims of sexual violence. Now, That's not to say that there aren't men who haven't experienced sexual violence. I'm aware that this happens to all genders, And the fact that it happens at all is despicable.

However, To say that this is - as our President said - a "scary time for young men" is deplorable.

Rape, And sexual violence as a whole, Has always affected more women than men. That's a fact - look it up anywhere and you'll see the statistics. White middle-aged women have around a 1 in 4 chance of being raped. Black and native American women have around a 1 in 3 chance. Teenage girls have a 1 in 3 chance. LGBT+ women - especially bisexual women - have a 2 in 3 chance of being raped in their lifetime (half of which occur before adulthood. ) Transgender people have about a 1 in 2 chance of being raped.

Men have about a 1 in 33 chance of being raped, Baseline. This statistic fluctuates to about 1 in 10 if a man isn't heterosexual or cisgender.

So why would it be a scary time for men? Ah, Right. The elusive false accusation.

Some quick research shows that of all reported rapes, About 2-8% are falsely reported. Under the umbrella of false reporting fall cases when charges are dropped and when evidence was inconclusive. All things considered, Getting falsely accused of rape is already extremely slim. But that's only 2-8% of reported rapes. The National Sexual Violence Center estimates that about 75% of all rapes are never reported. So, Doing that math, We can deduce that. 5-2% of all rapes are falsely reported.

2% of all rapes. That number is lower than the false accusation rate for murder, But men aren't scared of being accused of murder. Why? Because they're not murderers. Women don't just decide to falsely accuse someone of rape, Just like regular people don't falsely accuse someone of murder. Accusing someone of rape has been known to ruin women's lives, Not the accused. If a man is scared of being accused of sexual assault or rape - it's probably because he's a sexual assailant or rapist.

Just some thoughts. I'm looking forward to continuing this debate! :)
iamagoat

Con

I am not saying the men's right movement is completely necessary.

However I believe that some of the women who accuse men of raping them are lying. Just because they are a women doesn't mean they are lying. Some men don't even want to be alone with a women because she could make up a story to get him in trouble. Women aren't always truthful.
carefettes

Pro

Looking at the statistics of false rape:

https://www. Ourresilience. Org/what-you-need-to-know/myths-and-facts/ - This website shares that only 2-8% of reported rapes are false. Again, The National Sexual Violence Center estimates that 3 out of 4 rapes are never even reported, Which makes that 2-8% suddenly only 2-8% out of 25%, Or 1/2-2% of all rapes. That's not taking into account the cases when charges are dropped or there simply wasn't enough evidence to rightfully convict someone. All things considered, That is a tiny, Tiny amount of rapes.

In saying that some men don't want to be alone with women because they could make up a story and get him in trouble - women are afraid to be alone with men because they could rape us. Statistically speaking, The number-one health risk women face is men. More women have been killed simply for being women in the last decade than in both World Wars. Women everywhere are afraid to even step outside at night, Knowing that what started as a midnight stroll could turn into a life-changing and traumatic experience. We are urged to take self-defense classes and carry around pocketknives and pepper spray because the odds are stacked against us in the sexual violence department. And then, When a rape does happen, When a woman comes face-to-face with those one-in-three odds - many times, She's not believed. Historically, It's taken the accounts of several women to even be considered feasible for violence to have occurred. While we're making progress, Women are still scorned when we come forward. The social and political stigma of speaking out about your experience as a victim of sexual violence is why so many rapes are never even reported. Putting yourself into that position for the sole purpose of ruining one man's life? It's practically unheard of, Especially in the general public.

I understand your point, And I'm not disagreeing with your statement that not everyone is truthful. Because that's a fact. But to say that a men's movement is necessary because there's a negligible chance that he could be accused of a rape he didn't commit? I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

I look forward to your next point! :)
iamagoat

Con

Last argument you said "Statistically speaking, The number-one health risk women face is men. " Saying this makes it seem like all men are the devil. Men can get accused of rapes 30 years after they happen, When it MIGHT not even be true. This can lead to their careers and reputations being ruined just because of an accusation.
carefettes

Pro

Yes, Because men ARE the #1 health threat to women. While yes, There are definitely good men out there - I'm not disputing that - the fact of the matter is that enough men are bad to make every woman afraid of doing normal everyday things. I can't tell you the amount of times I've been told to take self-defense or carry around mace, And I'm not even in college. I'm sixteen years old and I've been aware of the very real possibility of being raped for seven years, Since I was nine. A nine-year-old shouldn't have to worry about that. A sixteen-year-old shouldn't have to worry about that. NOBODY should have to worry about that! Nobody should have to be constantly vigilant because if awareness slips for a moment, If the veneer of confidence cracks to reveal even the slightest vulnerability, There's a chance of being taken advantage of.

Regarding the false accusations - again, Statistically, The chances of being falsely accused are basically negligible. And you're talking as if being raped doesn't destroy a person mentally, Emotionally, And physically in many cases. The amount of men being falsely accused is miniscule while the amount of women who have been sexually assaulted and/or raped is so large that as a nine-year-old girl I was taught to always defend myself. Rape is a heinous crime. It's crippling. It tears people apart, Knowing they've been violated in the most invasive way. The way you're debating makes it seem as though rape isn't that bad, And that the real horror comes in seeking justice.

Looking forward to your closing arguments! :)
iamagoat

Con

The men need a movement for them because the women have one and we need equal rights :)
Posted by DeletedUser 2 years ago
DeletedUser
MRA is good
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
I highly encourage you to watch "the red pill" documentary if you haven"t done so already. It explores the men"s rights movement and shows what they really are. The documentary was created by a feminist who was at the time studying rape culture. At the end of the documentary, She joined the men"s rights movement. The documentary can be found online easily.
Posted by carefettes 3 years ago
carefettes
Restricting the Men's Rights Movement in no way impedes on their life, Liberty, Or pursuit of happiness. Men aren't threatened by women in general (while there are some exceptions; men do get raped, But to a much lesser extent). To men, The likeliest threat posed by women would be a false rape allegation, Which I've already refuted several times.

To women, Men are the greatest threat. To allow a movement festering with hatred and misogyny to continue directly puts their lives, Liberties, And pursuits of happiness on the line. When hatred isn't dispelled, It's left to grow, And the more this hatred grows, The more women will die for it. This may seem dramatic, But I assure you it isn't. Every day, Women are assaulted, Raped, And killed by men who think that they are entitled to women's bodies. Not interfering with the MRM would, Inevitably, End with female deaths.
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
You have posted so far 2 debates: A pro homo and this one here. Let us weigh your opinion against itself. In the homo opinion you write:

"That among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. " Doesn't the right to marry fall under the right of pursuit of happiness? And, In such, Doesn't barring such a right then violate the core values of the United States itself? " The last clause refers to wealth/property, According to the Federalist Papers. Specifically Madison's reading.

This piece you write:

" The men's rights movement is unnecessary and offensive to women who have been victims of sexual violence. "

How does life liberty and the pursuit of happiness apply in this case?
Posted by carefettes 3 years ago
carefettes
Armoredcat, Thanks! I'll go check that out here soon :)

Brendo, While to some extent, The movement may care about those things, But to a much greater extent, The movement is based off of misogyny and the anger of mostly young men (teens-early 30s). A lot of these men are self-proclaimed "incels" (involuntarily celibate), And they blame women for not wanting to engage sexually with them instead of looking to see how they can improve themselves - not necessarily physically, But in mentality. Why would a woman want to date or have sex with someone who will only demonize women and - statistically - pose a much greater threat of domestic violence?

While I by no means disagree that male suicide, Rape victims, And workplace deaths are issues - because they certainly are, And I wholeheartedly support reducing those statistics! - they aren't the core principles behind the Men's Rights Movement. Thank you for your input :)
Posted by Masterful 3 years ago
Masterful
In the face of the Metoo movement witch hunt, It is vital that men have a movement that protects them.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
I would just like to write a statement that is completely off topic to my previous one. The men"s rights movement is based on multiple factors such as the rising amount of male suicides, Male rape victims, Child custody, Workplace deaths, Ect. They are simply raising awareness for these things in order to provide support for the men who experience these things. Do you really thing a movement that provides support for these people is, In your words, Unnecessary?
Posted by armoredcat 3 years ago
armoredcat
Although I agree with you, This might be a fun debate to play devil's advocate on.

I may or may not accept it.

Hey, You actually don't seem like a half bad debater, And this site is dying. You should go over to debateart. Com. I've (mostly) transitioned there and all of the really great people have too but I still come back here sometimes just for the fun of it.
Posted by carefettes 3 years ago
carefettes
Brendo -

Women are often ridiculed and ostracized for coming forward. To say that women are believed the instant they cry "rape" is inaccurate - many times, They're instead asked what they were wearing, Or if they were drunk, Or if they had defended themselves, Or if they had said "no" clearly. The "believe all survivors" movement isn't calling to end due process, It's calling to take women seriously and not humiliate them on top of an already traumatic and life-altering event. I'm not saying that accusers should be believed by default and the accused should instantly be put in jail; rather, I'm saying that those who have the courage to seek justice should be given a fair chance to do so, Without the social and cultural stigma that currently surrounds pressing charges.

However, Thank you for your input! I'm always up for improving my arguments and I think this is one of the best ways to do so :)
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
"But men aren't scared of being accused of murder. Why? Because they're not murderers. "

No, It is because if a murder case is bought to court then there will be a full investigation including a forensic analysis. In a rape accusation, The female victim is believed immediately. Evidence is shown if the "believe all survivors" feminist movement.