nizohio
WrickItRalph

The New Testament Is A Fiction Mixed with Truth

nizohio

Pro

INTRODUCTION
This is my first time on debate. Org. I truly hope that potential mistakes made by me as a first-timer would not upset anyone on this debate platform.

THESIS
The New Testament (NT) is a very interesting book, And an important one. Christians believe that it is part of the word of God, Hence making it entirely true. However, There is evidence that the NT doesn't contain only the truth. There is evidence in the NT itself that the NT is a fictional book written by its authors by mixing falsehood with truth. In this debate I will present evidence to prove that the NT is a work of fiction mixed with truth.

DEFINITIONS

New Testament: The second collection of 27 books in the Christian Bible containing the Gospels, The Acts of the Apostles, The Epistles, And the Book of Revelations. It will be referred to as either a book or a set of books, Depending on the context.

Fiction: a work or text that is untrue and has been made up or invented

RULES

A. Structure

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening Arguments
Round 3: 1st Rebuttals
Round 4: 2nd Rebuttals.
Round 5: Closing statements.

B. Technical

1) Please read the entire debate before voting.
2) No ad-hominem attacks.
3) Sources have to be cited.
4) Optional: Please tag or quote the arguments you're responding to

ACCEPTANCE

In round 1, Please acknowledge that you have read and agree to follow the rules to the debate, And that you accept the debate.

BURDEN OF PROOF

The burden of proof is on me. I have to prove that the NT is a work of fiction.
WrickItRalph

Con

You're argument is that the new testament is a work of fiction mixed with truth. I will take the position that the new testament is completely false and there's not truth in it at all.

It's a fiction story with supernatural claims in it. It's not historically verifiable, And it's based on the old testament, Which is a book with even more ridiculous supernatural claims then the book in question.

Your floor.
nizohio

Pro

You're ruining the debate. The opposing side should argue AGAINST the claim that it is a work of fiction.
WrickItRalph

Con

That's not the topic and it's not my fault because I didn't pick the topic. There is no truth in the bible, So I reject your claim.
nizohio

Pro

Ok. Well, Since we're already here, Might as well finish this. There ARE truths in the Bible. For example, A man named Jesus did exist. There are records of his existence. Also, Jerusalem does exist and it is situated in the Middle East. Quirinius was a governer of Rome. So, There are truths in the Bible.
WrickItRalph

Con

There is no evidence that jesus existed, So you can't say that's a truth. Jerusalem does exist, But the Jerusalem in the bible does not, It's a fantasy setting of Jerusalem. It's like Spiderman. In the comics, Spiderman lives in New York, But the new York he lives in is nothing like the real one and has magic and science fiction in it with different presidents and citizen, Etc. So that's not a truth either. The same goes for Rome, It's not the the real rome. The bible is not a history book, It's a fiction story.
nizohio

Pro

"Jerusalem does exist"

That's enough to say that the Bible has truths in it. The fact that the Bible acknowledges the existence of Jerusalem, The existence of Jews in Jerusalem, And the existence of Quirinius and Roman soldiers and Pilate, Shows that the Bible has some truths in it. Now, It may describe these people and places wrongly, But they existed nevertheless.
WrickItRalph

Con

Okay, So let's say I live in New York city and I write a story. I used all of the streets and famous people from New York to tell me story and I describe New York in detail, But the whole story is about a wizard that goes through New York performing miracles on the famous people. Would that make anything in the story true? No. The New York that I'm describing is a fictional one that has magic in it. The famous people might be real, But in the story, The famous people are experiencing a fictional timeline and being healed by miracles. This is not truth, It's just fiction with allegorical parodies in it.
nizohio

Pro

I never said it made the story true. I said that there are truths in the NT. Just as there are truths in Spiderman. For example, New York exists: Truth. New York is located in the USA: Truth. New Yorkers mostly speak English: Truth.

Likewise, The NT also has truths in it. Jerusalem exists: Truth. Jerusalem's got Jews 2000 years ago: Truth. Romans can be found in Jerusalem: Truth.

In conclusion, There ARE truths in the NT.
WrickItRalph

Con

Spiderman has gravity and the laws of physics in it too, Does that make any of it true? No. If the events are fictional, Then the story is fictional. Period. Just because the NT makes up a fake Jerusalem and a fake version of real people, Doesn't make a single word of it true.

The NT is a fiction story by definition. You don't get to say there's truths in it. That would be like saying the Quran is true just because the sand under Muhammad's feet is real. That's not a standard of truth. But neither of those books are true. They're all fictions that use fictional events.

If you want to convince me. You're going to have to find a real historical event that is recorded in the NT that happens EXACTLY how history says. I'm not going to take fictional representations of real things as evidence.
Posted by melcharaz 3 years ago
melcharaz
There are many factual claims about Israel, Both in the old testament and the New Testament. Herod Agrippa for example was a legitamate ruler. We can back up the claims of the new testament not only on its own description (See this temple? There shall not be left 1 stone upon another). Which jesus claimed and Agustus destroyed the temple utterly! Jospheus and a few others make mention of the Historical facts the bible claims and asserts as truth.
Posted by WrickItRalph 3 years ago
WrickItRalph
@PointProven. Facts imply that they actually happened. Jerusalem isn't a fact in the bible because they don't make factual claims about Jerusalem. You have to understand mental subsistence to fully grasp the argument. If I was to use Pro's logic, Then every book would have truth in it because they site true things, Like the laws of physics. In order for something in a book to be true, It was to be citing a theory or a historical event. The NT does neither.
Posted by PointProven 3 years ago
PointProven
even as a fellow atheist, I have to disagree with con
Posted by PointProven 3 years ago
PointProven
Posted by PointProven 3 years ago
PointProven
some things in the bible are facts, Its just the supernatural claims that i can't believe
Posted by killshot 3 years ago
killshot
@biggs I'm pretty sure con did read the debate, And he is arguing against the debate's proposition. Perhaps you should read more carefully before you lash out. Pro says there is fiction and truth, Con says there is no truth. Only one (or neither) of these propositions can be true simultaneously. It's a valid argument, Try to keep up.
Posted by Sonofcharl 3 years ago
Sonofcharl
Both the Old and the New Testaments are mythological representations of archaic ignorance.
However people and places are probably factual.
Pro's proposition is accurate.
Posted by BiggsBoonj 3 years ago
BiggsBoonj
The Con is retarded. At least read the debate before accepting!