Red_Fox
TristanRei

The News Is Dead

TristanRei has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Red_Fox

Pro

The News is Dead! Serious debaters only please.

"The News" = the formal presentation of reports by people who are paid to discover, Package, And deliver information about happenings to the masses

"news" = a report on an event or happening that is recent or relevant

=== Argument 1 ===
In an average day of The News, Less than 10% of the talking is news. Watch any single hour of The News and you'll miss nothing from the rest of the 23 hours. Keep track during that hour, And you will notice that roughly 59 minutes will consist of commentary, Gossip, And speculation. You'll be lucky to find any actual "news. " The equivalent point is valid for print and radio news, Too.

After these 3 categories, There are a few more time wasters you may find during The News: a death count, An exaggerated controversy (that's probably false), A scientific "breakthrough" (something a 5th grader could have told you), Etc.

Based on the general dearth of events (compared to the time spent telling us about them), There is no need to follow The News at all. Anything that is actually, Really "news" will filter through your friends and family and get to you with no effort at all.

The News is dead, Because you can (and most do) get all news without watching, Reading, Or listening to The News.
TristanRei

Con

The problem I see in that argument is that it seems to be heavily targeted at the news you find on television, Excluding the last statement. You claim that you find out about all of these events without the news, But plenty of your sources get their information from news websites. Take the shooting in New Zeland, For example. Without the news reporting Prime Minister Ardern's response to the shooting, It would've taken longer for the news to spread through social media.

On that morning, I woke up and checked my phone (as most people do, ) and the first thing I saw was a notification from a famous news site that I will not disclose to avoid bias. I agree that if you watch the news you will find plenty of gossip and ultimately unimportant information, But to say that the news has no use to us is, In my opinion, Ignorant.

What is the point of the news? The point of the news is to inform you of current events. I would like to know where you read that less than 10% of the news consists of this because I simply don't believe that.

Furthermore, Most scientific breakthroughs mentioned in the news could not be discovered by a third grader. If a third grader can tell me the number of moons around Jupiter without having read it somewhere, I will definitely change my opinion, But until then, You're either giving kids too much credit or not giving scientists enough.

I look forward to reading your next argument.
Red_Fox

Pro

=== Argument 2 ===
More people approve of President Trump than The News. Real Clear Politics shows Trump's approval rating at 42% as of today. Gallup's latest polling (with Knight Foundation) on The News shows an overall trust rating of 41%.

People don't trust The News mostly because it is not trustworthy. The Knight/Gallup findings say that people mostly complain about "inaccurate or misleading reporting" and lies.

== Follow-up ===
In 2012, Pew found that MSNBC was 85% opinion. More broadly, I have estimated 10% based on TV news I see in the office and the gym: almost all of it is people discussing their thoughts and feelings about current events and future events.

For further support, Here are the "front page" articles from today's Washington Post:
--- "Awaiting Mueller's findings, Trump allies claim victory and Democrats urge transparency" (not news)
--- "Halting new N. Korea sanctions, President creates confusion" (not news)
--- "Where the Christchurch attack sparked 'ecstasy'" (not news)
--- "Trump team didn't have plan of attack" (not news)

Regarding 5th Grade science articles, Here are some from the NY Times website:
--- "Why a 50-Degree Day Feels Colder in Fall Than in Spring"
--- "Trigger Warnings May Not Do Much, Early Studies Suggest"
--- "What Makes a Waterfall? Maybe It Forms Itself"
TristanRei

Con

Round 2

Upon reading your argument, I noticed that many of your arguments point to a conservative ideology, Which, While I do not share, I will most certainly not hold against you. This does, However, Bring up the question of whether or not your political views may affect your opinion on news sites that are beginning to lead more and more towards the left.

According to Pew, 73% of American Republicans believe that the news does not understand their viewpoints. I definitely see this as an issue and I do believe that the news should be less biased, But I don't think we should choose to ignore the news in response.

At its core, The news is here to tell us what is happening in the world, And I believe that that is important information to absorb in your everyday life. Thank you for taking the time to read my response.
Red_Fox

Pro

=== Argument 3 ===
You brought up bias, Which is apropos since it is related to my next point: Ted Koppel. Mr Koppel is one of the major old-school TV anchors. . . Back when The News actually focused on news. In a recent speech at some Carnegie Foundation event, He confirmed two ideas that support my thesis:

--- Lamenting that many News organizations (of all types) have jettisoned objectivity he said "We [the media] are not the reservoir of objectivity that I think we were"
--- He regrets that many News organizations publish "analysis, Commentary on the front page" (as I noted last round)

=== Follow-up ===
My personal conservative point of view can be seen by looking at my profile. I don't see how it is relevant. My arguments are not partisan, Or biased. I feel that FOX News is also 10% news (at best). It suffers from the same problems I am decrying, Just like other cable news shows and print media.

(note: I'll be away a couple days, Then I'll post my Round 4 comments)
TristanRei

Con

Your conservative beliefs are relevant because of the fact that most major news sites tend to lean liberally. That was the point I was attempting to make.

Let me ask you this: Where are you going to get your news without "the news? " Social media? What is the difference between Twitter reporting the news and CNN reporting the news?

I fail to see how you could receive any information efficiently without these resources. We're not in control of what happens around us, But we are in control of how we perceive it. What may seem insignificant to you may change the life of some scientist or another specialist in a field.

If you wish to stay oblivious to what is happening, Then, By all means, Do not pay attention to the news, But I am interested in how else you would get your information.
Red_Fox

Pro

=== Argument #4 ===
The belated release of the Mueller report was the death knell of The News. So much air time and "reporting" was spent on the "Russia Collusion" story, That The News will never recover.

On this point, The left versus right nature of The News does come in to play significantly. Even still, The death of The News is more about breathless coverage than ideology. Left-wing News Sources are only dead if they were fanatical in their support and long-winded coverage of the hoax.

I think people (consumers of news) can be given latitude for believing what The News was forever proclaiming. However, This kind of understanding cannot be extended to The News.

Today, The News (that breathlessly covered the Russia Investigation) should be begging forgiveness from all their listeners or readers or watchers. They are not. First, They are either ignoring the fact that they have been peddling a false story for years. Second, They are clinging to any possibility of further investigations.

=== Follow-up ===
I will deal with the "where will you get news? " question in the final round.
Posted by TristanRei 3 years ago
TristanRei
I'd like to apologize for not responding in round four. It has just slipped my mind and I came a few minutes too late. I would love to continue this debate either in a new thread or these comments.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
Funny how you state it is a serious debate but don't actually know how bad your argument is.
You could have a point where you could say something like speaking about Trump does not improve how many people dislike him. I think we ought to spend more time on climate change, Gun control or other political candidates. Oh wait you are a conservative. I'll still leave that in.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
"Serious debaters only please. "

"The News" = the formal presentation of reports by people who are paid to discover, Package, And deliver information about happenings to the masses"
Which they do already.
Posted by billsands 3 years ago
billsands
Here is the news
Coming to you every hour on the hour
Here is the news
The weather's fine but there may be a meteor shower.
Here is the news
A cure's been found for good old rocket lag
Here is the news
Someone left their life behind in a plastic bag.
Here is the news
Another action filled adventure
Here is the news
All the worst from the world convention.
Here is the news
I wanna go home, I want my baby back
Here is the news
Somebody has broken out of Satellite 2
Here is the news
Look very carefully, It may be you.
Posted by Club 3 years ago
Club
I agree, A lot of the times news stories over overly talked about to ensure that it will fit the viewer's watching time.