Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
VegetableProperty5
croweupc

The Office(U. S. ) is the best sitcom

VegetableProperty5 has forfeited round #3.
Started: 3/16/2019 Category: TV
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

VegetableProperty5

Pro

I will be arguing that The Office(U. S. ) is the best sitcom(situation comedy. ) This is true for 3 reasons. First, It's funny. The Office is a hilarious TV show from various pop-culture references, Such as Michael's famous line "Dwight, You ignorant sl*t! , " which is a reference to SNL of the time, To original jokes like Jim's pranks. Second, What it says about society. I maintain that The Office is an allegory for society. Michael represents the ignorant in society, Being educated by the intelligentsia, The rest of the office, We see how Michael gets more socially competent and caring throughout the show. It also tells us that even the ignorant in society are necessary, We see that Michael is a magnificent salesman, And we see that in the absence of the ignorant, The intelligentsia break down into infighting. This is seen especially in the episode "Prince Family Paper" when Michael leaves the office, Everyone else spends the whole day arguing whether or not actress Hillary Swank is hot. Finally, The Office shows us that education can only take people so far. In the seventh season when Michael leaves for good, He is symbolically going out on his own, Because the office has taught him all they can. And when he returns in the final episode we see that he has accomplished all his goals, He has children, A wife, And a family cellphone plan. Finally, The Office has extreme attention to detail, Like any long running TV show The Office does have a few plot holes, But overall they are very good at carrying little jokes throughout the show and making subtle choices that only add to the quality. Instances of this are when the clown painting that once hung in Jim and Pam's house is being sold at the office garage sale, And that in the Saint Patrick's Day episode, Michael accidentally puts an Italian flag instead of an Irish flag on his desk. Overall what we see is that The Office is funny, Attentive, And uses these to communicate truths about our society in a comedic and engaging way, For these reasons we must conclude that it is the best sitcom.
croweupc

Con

Is "The Office" the best Sitcom?

Definition of best: "Of the most excellent, Effective, Or desirable type or quality. "

What do we think of when we say the best? Tiger Woods was the best at Golf, And Jack Nicklaus before him. Michael Jordan was the best at Basketball. We determine "best" by the results or accomplishments achieved. There should be some objective way to figure out if The Office is in fact the best Sitcom.

What are some of the competition? The big Bang Theory, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, It"s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Will & Grace, How I Met Your Mother, 30 Rock, That 70"s Show, Roseanne, Friends, Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Etc.

The Office Season 5 had the highest viewer average of 8. 7 million. The Big Bang Theory had 8. 4 million in Season 1, And over 20 million in Seasons 7 and 9. Seinfeld averaged over 26. 6 million views per Season, With over 76 million views for the finale. Friends had an average of over 23 million per Season, With over 52 million views for the finale.

The Office is no doubt successful, Funny, And witty. If we look at the data, It lags well behind other Sitcoms in ratings and viewers. The ultimate goal of any show is to be watched, And if we determine the winner by excellence, Effectiveness, And desirable types and qualities, There are clearly other shows who out rank The Office.
VegetableProperty5

Pro

VegetableProperty5 forfeited this round.
croweupc

Con

I will now address the three main arguments made in round one.

Point 1: (It's funny)
I agree with this statement, But I think a lot of shows are funny. Most people have a favorite show. It is all about how it relates to the person watching it. The Office could be the most funny show to you, But I might think Futurama or The Orville. How we relate to a show is determined by many things. Age, Culture, And interests to name a few would influence whether or not I find a show funny or entertaining.

Point 2: (What it says about society)
I find this in a lot of Sitcoms. Friends, Seinfeld, How I Met Your Mother all show interpersonal relationships and relationship dynamics. The most important aspect of Sitcoms is to relate with their audience. If they do not succeed, The show will be discontinued. I agree that The Office does a good job, But I would argue against it being the best.

Point 3: (Shows us that education can only take people so far)
This sounds like a moment in the show that really spoke to you. I remember an episode of Seinfeld where George Costanza double dipped the chip. A person noticed and approached George about it. The dialog was brilliant and impactful. I had trouble eating dip with other people after that. I was afraid they may have double dipped, And "that's like sticking your whole mouth right in the dip. " Moments like these are what make shows great.

Many shows have these qualities. What makes The Office stand out over the rest? We each have our likes and dislikes. Most people have a favorite Sitcom. My ultimate case for the best rests entirely on the number of people watching the show.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
This is strictly opinion, No facts to back it up, Which is supposed to be a debate
Posted by Kvng_8 3 years ago
Kvng_8
Martin is the best sitcom! ;) It's much funnier bro