Medievalwarfare
The_Dank_Gamer

The Purpose of Life

Medievalwarfare

Medievalwarfare

Pro

Here's my argument: I think that our purpose in life depends on who we are as a person. How we decide "who we are" is based on what makes us up. Undoubtedly, We are made of a body, Mind, And soul. The body acts, The mind gathers information, And the soul makes the decisions. With that said, Depending on which part of yourself you favor more decides what purpose you could possibly have. If you think differently, I would like to know how.
The_Dank_Gamer

Con

I think that there is no set purpose, I think that you decide what you do, And that there is nothing that has been set for you to do.
Medievalwarfare

Pro

Even with what I said, You"re atill making a choice. Say there is a person who is more mind-centered than anything, It is very unlikely their purpose in life"s has something to do with athletics or something else physical. That I am sure you can agree on.

However, We all do have a set purpose in life. We were brought into the world not simply to live because what is live without some goal? A story has a conflict that must be solve and so do our lives. We have something we must overcome or do so that we"re reach that denouement at the end of our journey where we can enjoy life and stop worrying about the world.

With that said, Not everyone will reach their purpose. Some will never find out their purpose because they look in the wrong places, Meaning they have to understand more where they themselves lie more with (body, Mind, Or soul). Even then, It is still their choice to seek our their purpose. At minimum, Though, We as people affect others with our actions and thoughts, And through that, We or they could grow more as a person to find our purpose or lose interest in finding your purpose. It all depends on the scenario, But it"s still a choice on if you find your goal or not.
The_Dank_Gamer

Con

I do see how it seems like we all have a set purpose. It seems as if everyone was designed to do the thing that they do best, For instance, Someone could think that my purpose is to design video games because I am good at that, However, I have had many years of practice, Going from a simple novice, To at least intermediate. However, I did not just wake up one day and say, 'I think my purpose is to code video games, ' what I did do, Is say 'Ubisoft has made some good games, And Microsoft pays really well, I think this will be fun, ' so I started learning how to code. The point of this story was to say that even though I code video games, It is not my purpose.
Medievalwarfare

Pro

Indeed; you worked to get where you are. Still though, There are qualities that led you to be able to do that well: determination, Creativity, Enginuity. There"s always a chance designing video games could be your purpose, But if it"s not, You"ve still learned many skills that could cross over into your real purpose. That epiphany of when everything starts to make sense doesn"t necessarily have to happen all of a sudden. You will spend your whole life trying to find what your purpose is, And you"ll find it eventually if you keep looking.

So yes, Your purpose may not necessarily be what you"re best at, But every bit of growth you make over your lifetime will contribute to finding that purpose. Time will decide when you finally find it.
The_Dank_Gamer

Con

alright, You've convinced me, Everyone has a set purpose that they may or may not find, You win.
Posted by backwardseden 3 years ago
backwardseden
Also you have a biased voter who votes the christian/ god way every single time without exception with dsjpk5.
Posted by backwardseden 3 years ago
backwardseden
@Masterful - Yep. That was taught to me long ago which never dinged in my brain to even mention. Life's purpose is to reproduce. However when someone comments, Clearly without knowing any better "The meaning of life is determined by whether or not God exists. " That's got to be shot down with all Akira Kurosawa's there are.
Posted by Masterful 3 years ago
Masterful
Keep God out of this.
The only purpose a living organism could have, Is to create life- reproduce. Other than that, Do what you feel like doing.
Posted by backwardseden 3 years ago
backwardseden
@cello242 - Exactly! There's no consensus within christianity which is why it is fading and failing. There's over 25, 000 versions of christianity and 500 English translations of the bible alone. How does anyone discern from which is correct and which is false? That's why god would never choose text as a form of communication, The worst form of communication possible when all this god needs to do to prove himself is simply talk to us.
If you go from church to church you will not find that that consensus. Go to 10 within a 20 mile radius and see 7 will differ greatly as an example on the great flood and all of its ideals Noah, The ark, The flood, Did it even happen etc. To be fair ALL cultures deserve to be respected, Not just the christian god in which he demands. So YOU are correct. Not god.
So I will leave you be. Tc and have fun.
Posted by The_Dank_Gamer 3 years ago
The_Dank_Gamer
ok
Posted by cello242 3 years ago
cello242
I"m done debating this.
Posted by cello242 3 years ago
cello242
Because there is objective morality does not entail that everyone would know the correct values or have any consensus on it. Objective morality implies an objective standard even if we don"t know exactly what it is. Cultures for example change in moral values all of the time, And the fact that we can call some practices of those previous cultures wrong implies that morality is beyond human opinion. There may be moral values that I believe that are wrong, But that wouldn"t mean there isn"t an absolute standard, It would just mean I wasn"t living up to it.
Posted by The_Dank_Gamer 3 years ago
The_Dank_Gamer
I have an objection to the 3rd argument, I have actually done a small study on objective moral. It went something like this
You have a large pool in your backyard, Both your dog (who you love very much), And your neighbor (who you hate, And who has never treated you kindly) are drowning. You only have time to save one, Who do you save?
I asked ten people, And the answers were split(7 for the dog, 3 for the neighbor). If an objective moral existed, It would have been 10 on 1 side, Rather than it being split.
I would like to hear your rebuttal to this.
Posted by backwardseden 3 years ago
backwardseden
@Medievalwarfare -What happens when people are so beaten down and battered, So ashamed and terrified that they cannot find their "purpose" in life as to what commonly happens with raped women and abused children? You truly have no idea what these people go through and the suffering that torments them long after what has happened to them if they survive their ordeals. I could tell you some true stories that would turn your soul black. And they would not be about me. Some never escape. Regardless, More power to people who make attempts to help. Its needed.
Posted by Medievalwarfare 3 years ago
Medievalwarfare
Enough of this debate! This original debate was about helping people to understand their purpose in life and find it, But it has been converted into an argument that will go on forever. It"s time to end it.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 3 years ago
dsjpk5
MedievalwarfareThe_Dank_GamerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.