TheCounterArgument
Sonofcharl

The Rich Get Richer And The Poor Get Poorer

Sonofcharl
Started: 3/10/2019 Category: Economics

TheCounterArgument

Con

I will be arguing that in America everyone gets richer because we constantly make more money.
Sonofcharl

Pro

The counter-intuitive argument.

If everyone is getting richer then this implies that the poor are getting relatively richer too.

Therefore the poor cannot also be getting poorer.

So how come:
If everyone is getting richer because America is constantly making more money.
Why does the U. S. Have a $22 trillion national debt?
TheCounterArgument

Con

TheCounterArgument forfeited this round.
TheCounterArgument

Con

TheCounterArgument

Con

TheCounterArgument

Con

Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
@TheCounterArgument

"As we make more money the process of luxury good becomes cheaper and allows people to have more stuff. The poor a couple decades ago didnt have electricity or water at ALL. The poor today has just a bit more than what the need paycheck to paycheck"
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@K_Michael_Tolman

Who brought up standard of living?
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
I wasn't the one who brought up standards of living, If you look back a bit. I was just proving that the claim made earlier that DID bring up standards of living is false.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@K_Michael_Tolman

"I'm 15. I don't have solutions. "
Is a 15 year old not capable of thinking or finding a solution? No so I don't see how your specific age does stop you from suggesting a solution.

"Because having a higher standard of living is not the same as being richer. "
You saying this as if it is relevant to the topic at hand. It isn't. It is about inequality. If everyone had a higher standard of living doesn't mean inequality doesn't exist.

"A minimum wage worker is not richer than a medieval king just because he has access to commodities that the king doesn't. "
Rich would require to have a plentiful supply of something and in this situation it is about currency. The point you made here states to me that even you know your point was not needed here. If not what does currency have to do with standard of living?
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
I'm 15. I don't have solutions.

Because having a higher standard of living is not the same as being richer. As I said, A minimum wage worker is not richer than a medieval king just because he has access to commodities that the king doesn't.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@K_Michael_Tolman

So what do you propose as a solution?

I don't see why you are argued the poor have a higher standard of living,
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
@omar
We're on the same side. The poor ARE not getting richer.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@K_Michael_Tolman

"The poor today has just a bit more than what the need paycheck to paycheck""
Even this is a bad argument. When we look at wages. The poor and the working classes wages have stagnated whereas the wages of the wealthy have increase. You showed an example from 1880. Wow really had to go that far to show poor people have improved but guess what. They are still poor.

""As we make more money the process of luxury good becomes cheaper and allows people to have more stuff. "
Even then can they buy those good when there wages are stagnant? I never heard of ever poor person being capable of the a 50 inch TV. Banks have most of the lower income households littered with debts that they know they can't pay off and what does the government do? Not intervene and better yet buy out those predatory companies that caused the financial crisis.
Simple type in wage stagnation and go to the pewresearch page. Links don't work again.
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
I'm saying that the poor have access to such things as running water in most places across the U. S. In 1880, That would be untrue. Ergo, A rise in living standards. My point was that wages are not the most direct factor in living conditions. That would be technological development. I wanted to show that people could have a lower standard of living than the modern poor without being poorer, Thus disproving TheCounterArgument's claim that "As we make more money the process of luxury good becomes cheaper and allows people to have more stuff. The poor a couple decades ago didnt have electricity or water at ALL. The poor today has just a bit more than what the need paycheck to paycheck"
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@K_Michael_Tolman

"because "poor" people have a higher standard of living than they used to. "
Do you call wage stagnation a higher standard of living?
Vote Placed by cfossedal 3 years ago
cfossedal
TheCounterArgumentSonofcharlTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sonofcharl provided an unrebutted argument. "TheCounterArgument" dropped the debate in bad conduct.