flaming.liberal
hectic_gamer

The Right to Smoke Tobacco Cigarrettes Should Not Be Banned

flaming.liberal

flaming.liberal

Pro

Hello, I am the 1st proposition speaker for the motion that "The Right to Smoke Tobacco Cigarrettes Should Not Be Banned."

Terms:
Tobacco: a preparation of the nicotine-rich leaves of an American plant, which are cured by a process of drying and fermentation for smoking or chewing.
Ban/Banned: officially or legally prohibit.

>>Before we begin<>Contentions<<
1. Unintended Consequences From Banning
-Journal of Political Economy: Bans in America have a long history of unintended consequences. A study of bans show they often have the opposite effect of intentions. If the federal government can unilaterally ban an entire industry, we must ask, "what can they ban next?" Nothing in the constitution gives the federal government that much power.
-Ex 1: 1920: the fed gov. banned alcohol. It led to organized crime, massive bootlegging & and a new smuggling industry.
-Ex 2: New York tried to ban sugary drunks with an appeal to science. The result was anti-government rebellion as well as lawsuits. According to the Atlantic: The NY ban was doomed to fail. It 'poisoned the water' for better ideas that would have more impact.
-Ex 3: Univ. of Vermont banned the sales of bottled water in 2013. It backfired and considerably and increased the sales of single-use bottles of unhealthy drinks, adding more plastic to the environment, and unhealthy options were more accessible.
-Ex 4: According to Forbes.com: Georgia passed a law banning undocumented workers; it triggered $140 million in agricultural losses; crops rotted in the fields/
-Ex: 5: Trump's Muslim ban is still causing deep social divisions, distrust among our allies, and costly litigation.

Impact: The result of a cigarette ban would have an opposite effect of its original purpose. It would increase illegal sales of tobacco, resulting in worse effects on health. When tobacco is sold on the black market, it isn't regulated. At least legal tobacco is regulated, the the companies make sure that it is not another fake drug or something with even more health harms.

2. Federal Overreach:
-A tobacco ban can only be declared, implemented and enforced by the federal government.
-North Carolina General Ken Paxton: "Yet again, we must fight federal overreach." He said this in a previous lawsuit filed by 14 states against the federal government when it tried to curtail coal mining that disproportionatley harmed tobacco states.
-Why would we give this amount of power to the federal government. This would give the tobacco industry to the hands of the black market, which makes tobacco itself more dangerous.
-The federal government should not have the right to ban an american industry, inflict disproportionate harm on American communities that are already suffering economically, and harm the US economy and economy of other countries that we import tobacco from(expand on in 3rd contention).

3. Disproportionate Harm to States & Other Countries:
-U.S. Chamber of Commerce and National Economic Research Associates: a ban would cost the US economy tens of billions of dollars yearly. First victims will be tobacco farmers and workers. Next will be state revenues the statewide economic spending.
-We import tobacco from other countries, and our own US states.

State W/ Highest Tobacco Production & Total Tobacco Acreage
-North Carolina: 170,083
-Kentucky: 87,641
-Virginia: 20,881
-Tennessee: 20,109

Impact: If tobacco was banned, it would harm state economies, and disproportionately harm states who's economies rest on tobacco. Loss of jobs results in more homelessness, harming the economy, resulting in more loss of jobs, resulting in homelessness, and once again harming the economy. The cycle repeats. It does't help anyone to ban an industry that has created thousands of jobs.

Vote Proposition
hectic_gamer

Con

Hi, I'm hectic and I'm voting AGAINST smoking

I believe smoking should be banned and I can give the proof of why.

1. smoking is a toxic item and has a lot of deadly chemicals in it such as cyanide, carbon monoxide, tar, formaldehyde, ammonia and so much more(1).

2. it is not a good influence on kids and young adults, it is believed 9.7 percent of high school students are smokers by the time they leave high school(2).

3. finally, its just plain bad on your health, smoking could cause cancer almost everywhere around your body and is responsible for about 85% of lung cancer deaths(3).

in conclusion smoking can effect everyone even people around you so it should be banned

(1) http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com...
(2) https://www.tobaccofreekids.org...
(3) https://www.cdc.gov...
flaming.liberal

Pro

Okay, I understand your three reasons quite well, and at first glance, it may seem true, but as I said in my 1st case, if tobacco was sold on the black market, it would be unregulated.

Here are some health harms that could come from tobacco banning:
-people will buy on black market---get dangerous, unregulated tobacco which results in even more health harms
-withdrawals resulting in unhealthy obsession

Challenge(please answer this in next response): How would you even ban it?

Question: Do you realize that the federal government would be banning an entire industry, killing thousands of jobs, and harming the economy tremendously.
hectic_gamer

Con

OK so you have a point about the black market but something you haven't thought about is the amount of money that businesses are stealing from you, for just 1 packet of cigarettes are $31, JUST 31! just think about how much money you would saving by banning cigarettes
also, my answer to how we ban cigarettes is that we increase the price until it is almost never bought and then take cigarettes of the market permanently.
my parents are smokers which has been changing my life and if we ban tobacco then no other kids or children have to go through the same problem as me

thank you for reading
flaming.liberal

Pro

So I noticed that you made a contradiction in your case. You say, "companies are stealing from you," and that's bad. But, later, you said, "raising the prices to a high price is the solution." I'm confused because your problem with cigarettes is also the solution?? You say that raising prices will stop people from buying cigarettes. AGAIN, as I have stated, they will either buy it from the black market, OR, they will buy the expensive cigarettes. People are willing to do anything for their addiction, as I'm sure that you have experienced with your smoker parents(sorry by the way).

I'm assuming that your parents were intense smokers because tobacco is very addictive. So, don't you agree that they would find a way to get cigarettes anyway? Banning them won't really solve anything. It will really just create more problems that it was planning to solve.

I don't know if you read what I wrote above about a bad history of bans, so I'm just gonna put it here again:

Thanks Again
-flaming.liberal
hectic_gamer

Con

well, at this point i have no more to say so im a little upset but you did have a lot of good points that rebuttled me really well so good job on that and vote for flamin.liberal
flaming.liberal

Pro

Thank you so much. This was a great debate!

Good Job!
hectic_gamer

Con

i had terrible arguments and points
but in my defence im only 13
Posted by hectic_gamer 3 years ago
hectic_gamer
i know but i was also in school and didnt have much ideas and i am not the smartest and yes ok mhm
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
I know heretic is only 13, but age doesn't matter here.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 3 years ago
dsjpk5
flaming.liberalhectic_gamerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession in round three.