TheGennderSpectrm
A341

The Second Amendment is essential to a state that will ultimately prosper

TheGennderSpectrm has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

TheGennderSpectrm

Pro

The second amendment is essential to a state that will ultimately prosper. My position is simple, if a state does not enforce some sort of second amendment-esque law, it could become corrupt and fall into anarchy. Feel free to argue against me.
A341

Con

Before I start debating I should say I don't disagree that the second amendment is a good thing in the American context and I believe that the right to bear arms should be considered to be a fundamental human right for all law abiding citizens.

This being said it's demonstrably not necessary to the prosperity of a state given the vast number of stable and prosperous stats without the right to bear arms. Indeed (sort of with the exceptions of Switzerland) the United States is the only country in the world with such legislation and it is not the only prosperous or stable state that there is. I will not argue that the right to bear arms is not useful, I will not argue that it does not serve to protect rights of the citizens, I will not argue that it does not help to promote the stability of a state. However long term prosperity and stability are more complicated than just the right to bear arms, it is highly useful but neither necessary not sufficient.

I await my opponent's response.