CainEnable
Wizofoz

The Seventh day Sabbath (Saturday) Christians only please!

CainEnable

Pro

It's been a while since I've been on this website so I'm a bit out of the loop in terms of the general outline of how these debates go about. I will present my case in the second round after the con's initial arguments by refuting them and providing scriptural evidence of the necessity of keeping God's holy seventh day as it being a required "Holy convocation" Leviticus 23:3 and that God is no respecter of persons whether Jew or Gentile. Galatians 3:29 also points out that there is a spiritual element to being a Child of Abraham or Israel. If we follow God's commandments to the best of our ability we are most certainly a spiritual Jew. Romans 2:29 explains this. Exodus 31:13-16 states that the Sabbath is a never ending covenant meant to be observed to recognize God as our creator and that in seven days he created the Earth and all things that exist in our physical universe. The Sabbath was never changed in scripture and it cannot be found anywhere in the Bible because that is a creation of man. Specifically during the Roman Catholic church era. I look forward to a great debate!
Wizofoz

Con

You have posted no evidence that Saturday- a day identified on the Gregorian calendar- is the "Sabbath" as defined in the bible.
CainEnable

Pro

That isn't an argument but I will go ahead with it anyways.

It's clear that the Jews made Sabbath worship their top physical priority. To worship improperly or on a different day would result in death of the individual. In fact they were so meticulous that walking certain distances, Killing a fly, And lighting candles a certain way were considered breaking the law. Under penalty of death I think it's safe to say the Jews have kept a watchful eye on the proper day that lands as the Sabbath. Exodus 16:14-30 is an example of the Sabbath law being instated before it was written as a physical law. Every 7th day the Jews were not allowed to go out and collect manna while they were in the wilderness. This happened for 40 years which is plenty enough time to keep them on track of which day was the correct day because the manna was placed from God himself. We even see that their rebellion by trying to collect the manna on the 7th day resulted in anger from God and those who went out anyways to collect would find that the manna wasn't there or that it was spoiled.

John 15:10 "If you keep my commandments you shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my fathers commandments and abide in his love" We know that the fourth commandment specifically states that the seventh day was sanctified and we are required to keep it. Thus we can conclude Jesus Christ had kept this weekly day of worship. Luke 4:16 proves even further that Christ would regularly go up and teach in the Synagogue on the Sabbath.

Moving forward to when the change happened before the Gregorian came the Julian calendar.

From 46 B. C. To 1582 A. D. The west had been using the Julian calendar. Seeing as how Christ had been walking the earth during this time period the Jews had an accurate count of the Sabbath day and when it landed. The Julian calendar was replaced in 1582 because it was 10 days out of sync with the solar system. After the change happened the 10 days were simply dropped to re-sync with the solar system turning it from Thursday October 4th to Thursday October 14th. The next day would have been Friday the 15th. We do still have leap years but changing the number of days in the month does not alter the weekly cycle. There is no such thing as a 6th day week or 8 day week. Hebrew calendars are what I use in determining God's annual Sabbaths and when they occur. I. E, Pentecost, Day of Atonement, And Passover.

http://libguides. Ctstatelibrary. Org/hg/colonialresearch/calendar
https://www. Ucg. Org/bible-study-tools/bible-questions-and-answers/how-can-we-be-sure-that-saturday-is-the-seventh-day

The seven day cycle has been preserved throughout human history. Specific days of the month have NOT however. There is a huge difference between the days of the year and the weekly cycle.
Wizofoz

Con

You've just defeated your own argument. Yes there have been many calendar changes. Thus there is no evidence that what we now call Saturday is the sabbath according to the bible.
CainEnable

Pro

Are you not actually going to present an argument?
Wizofoz

Con

Wizofoz forfeited this round.
CainEnable

Pro

CainEnable forfeited this round.
Wizofoz

Con

There's nothing to debate about.

Assuming god, For some reason, Puts the actual day the sabbath is celebrated as the absolute primary article of faith (in other words, If god is amazingly petty) the burden is on you to show that the day we currently identify as Saturday IS that day god (for some reason) insists we celebrate the sabbath.

You have done the opposite.

You have shown calendars have change, Day names and orders altered.

What do you expect me to debate? I agree with your points, But you own points defeat your side of the argument.
Posted by Just-Call-Me-PK 3 years ago
Just-Call-Me-PK
@cain what if (even hypothetically) the messiah came to give you a new covenant? Is God himself restricted by scripture?

Colossians 2:16-17

16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath. "
17 These are only a shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. "
Posted by Speedrace 3 years ago
Speedrace
Oh ok, I gotcha.
Posted by CainEnable 3 years ago
CainEnable
Um. . Your question doesn't make any sense. If you want to debate you'd have to make an argument for whatever you believe.
Posted by Speedrace 3 years ago
Speedrace
I understand that, So my question is what is my position?

Would I argue that it is not on Saturday, Or that it is on Sunday? Or something different. . .

Please clarify.
Posted by CainEnable 3 years ago
CainEnable
I am presenting the case that the sabbath is on Saturday.
Posted by Speedrace 3 years ago
Speedrace
So you are arguing that it is on Saturday, And I am arguing that it is on Sunday?
Posted by CainEnable 3 years ago
CainEnable
Debating that it's Saturday. That's why I put in parenthesis (Saturday)
Posted by Speedrace 3 years ago
Speedrace
I'm confused as to what the topic is. Are you debating whether the Sabbath is on Saturday on Sunday?