tigerswithwings
KalmarWingfeather

The US minimum voting age should be lowered from 18 to 16

KalmarWingfeather has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

tigerswithwings

Pro

In the US 16-year-olds are considered legally competent to drive a car. Driving requires both impulse control and good judgement. We trust 16-year-olds with the lives and safety of both passengers and others on the road. Since we deem them responsible enough to the make life and death decisions that come with driving a car, Why don"t trust them to make informed choices in the voting booth?
KalmarWingfeather

Con

The fundamental parts of driving and voting are very different. Driving is split-second decisions, But not very complicated split-second decisions. Voting is a long and hard process, In terms of the decisions that need to be made. When someone votes, They need to be up to date on the candidate's stances. The legal voting age, Coincidences with the age when most are considered old enough to live on their own (in college). Also, Many states are putting in a graduated licensing program. In Illinois, The program ends, And the driver is allowed to drive without restriction on number of people or curfew (provided they received no traffic convictions) at age 18. (1) The program has been credited with saving many lives of teen drivers. In fact, Drivers 16-17 have two times the amount of fatal crashes per mile driven than drivers 18-19. (2)
(1 )http://www. Cyberdriveillinois. Com/departments/drivers/teen_driver_safety/gdl. Html
(2) http://www. Iihs. Org/iihs/topics/t/teenagers/fatalityfacts/teenagers
tigerswithwings

Pro

All people who are learning to drive have more accidents, Regardless of their age.
If driving is "not very complicated" and only involves "split-second decisions" as you say, Then learning how to drive would be easy and not result in so many fatal mistakes.
Unlike driving, Voting does not require of the voter any specific knowledge of laws.
If as you say "voting is a long and hard process" how do you explain that the order in which names are listed on the ballot can help candidates, Going from last to first on the ballot raises a candidate's vote share by 10 percentage points, And if voting is such a "hard process" compared to driving, Then why are there driving schools, And driving tests for drivers, But no voting school, Or voting tests for voters?
If you treat driving as a trivial task, Then how do you reconcile non-trivial consequences of "not very complicated" driving decisions? One person"s wrong vote can only have indirect and statistically insignificant consequences, But that same person"s decision to text while driving can have direct and fatal consequences not only for themselves but for many others, Who may not only never get to drive again but never vote again either.

The legal age when one is able to live on one's own is called the "statutory age" because each state has their own statute that dictates how old a child must be in order to live on their own, It is 18 for only 11 out of 51 states, Including District of Columbia where, Like most other states, The statutory age is 16, Which, I agree with you, Should also be the voting age.
Posted by tigerswithwings 3 years ago
tigerswithwings
Regarding the Age of Majority you have it backwards. The voting age is what determines the Age of Majority and not the other way round. The Age of Majority is 18 in the US, But it was changed down to 18 from 21 after the voting age was changed to to 18 from 21. Historically, The Age of Majority was set at 21 in most states. But after the 1971 ratification of the 26th Amendment to the U. S. Constitution giving 18-year-olds the right to vote in federal elections, States lowered their age of majority to 18.
Posted by tigerswithwings 3 years ago
tigerswithwings
When is someone an adult?
This debate is about changing the law to reflect the reality, Not changing reality to reflect the law.
Studies of cold cognition have shown that the skills necessary to make informed decisions are firmly in place by 16. By that age, Adolescents can gather and process information, Weigh pros and cons, Reason logically with facts and take time before making a decision. Teenagers may sometimes make bad choices, But statistically speaking, They do not make them any more often than adults do.
Withholding from 16-year-olds the right to vote because they are not fully independent would be an unfair and unequal application of the law, Because the right to vote remains intact for people with dementia, Whether they are living independently, In assisted living or in a long-term care facility. Even a person who has been deemed incompetent and assigned an adult guardian retains the right to exercise this freedom as long as they are otherwise qualified to vote.
How is it fair that those most vulnerable to school shootings have no say in how such atrocities are best prevented?
Posted by tigerswithwings 3 years ago
tigerswithwings
Yes voting and driving are fundamentally different, But I am using driving as an analogous responsibility? Please defend how voting is analogous to fighting a war. If you do not think it is useful to use driving as an analogy, Then why not suggest something that you think is analogous to voting? In any imagining of change, We use analogies to picture that possible future. It shows a lack of imagination that you are unable to acknowledge that both voting and the right to drive come with some pretty heavy responsibilities.
Since the start of the Revolution in 1775, Over a million Americans have died in wars. Since Henry Ford introduced the mass-produced motorcar in 1913, More than 2. 5 million Americans have met their deaths on the road. More 16-17 year-olds are killed in cars, So the same basic argument that was used for lowering the voting age to 18 for those being killed in war applies to lowering the voting age to 16 for people being killed in cars. They can"t vote on traffic laws that would protect them, They have no say on driver education laws, They cannot influence car safety standards. It is a fact that laws save lives, So why are those whose lives are at stake not able to decide on those laws?
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
Wow Kalmar you nailed the argument home like a champ.
Posted by KalmarWingfeather 3 years ago
KalmarWingfeather
I apologize for forfeiting Round 2. I realize people won't read this, But here is the elevator speech of my argument. In essence, I wanted to distinguish between voting and driving, Because I think your comparison is inapt. Driving is made up of decisions that must be made very quickly. For example, If I'm driving, And I see a ball roll into the road, I need to be able to recognize that a kid is most likely coming out after that ball, And slam on my brakes. I'm not saying that driving isn't hard, But driving and voting are fundamentally different. The argument for lowering the voting age to 18 was that if a person is old enough to fight in a war, They're old enough to vote on the people deciding whether war happens or not.
Also, "Statutory Age, " is a statutorily meaningless term. However, The term Age of Majority does mean something. The Age of Majority is 18 in the US. That age is when a child is considered an adult. This coincidences with a person going to college, Which is when almost all children first move away from home. In my opinion, Children 16-17 aren't trusted fully with driving, And they shouldn't be trusted with voting.
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
@32doni someone butt ugly like yourself has plenty of friends in the circus. Pathetic freak.
Posted by 32doni32nido32 3 years ago
32doni32nido32
@mosc

You did mention I had nothing to lose.
Also, Keep in mind that a loss of friends can affect one's mental state leading them to make decisions they wouldn't normally make. Soo. . . You're wrong. Again. For, Like, The hundredth time. Seriously, Could you just be correct for once? No, Like, COULD you; are you physically capable of being correct?
Again, The gas that has gone to my brain is called: Oxygen. Say it with me: Ox-y-gen. Good job, @mosc! Here's a cookie! No, Eat the cookie, Not the lead. You eat lead all the time? Ah, That makes sense now.
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
@donigasforbrains, Loss of all friends has nothing to do with voting. Idiot.
Posted by 32doni32nido32 3 years ago
32doni32nido32
@mosc

I actually have quite a bit to lose; I am of a materialist, After all, But I would also lose all my friends and the ability to help and see them succeed.
The same success that you will never achieve. Almost anyone can surpass you. :D
Other than trolls that are quite similar to yourself; you're very, Very similar to each other.
Posted by 32doni32nido32 3 years ago
32doni32nido32
@tigerswithwings

Thank you!
I do think that I overestimate how informed those who are over eighteen years of age are, But I don't think I underestimate that of those who are my age. Isn't there a large a possibility that vote the same way (by that, I mean the same reasons) that those over 18 do?