AKMath
Sonofcharl

The USA IS Superior | Change My Mind

Sonofcharl

AKMath

Pro

Happy 4th of July!!!
Sonofcharl

Con

The U.S.A. is superior to what?
How is it possible to change a mind?

Maybe superiority is the antithesis of reality and maybe Stockholm is the Capital of Sweden and maybe cheese is just to tasty for our own good. The U.SA. certainly isn't superior to a cheese and sweet pickle sandwich or a good quality pork sausage. Wouldn't you agree?

Lake Superior is a really great lake, but the Northern half is in Canada. Therefore Canada is also superior to the U.S.A. It stands to reason doesn't it.

The Pacific Ocean.

Happy 5th of July.
AKMath

Pro

Your clearly doing word play here, but okay. I meant superior to every other country on Earth.
Sonofcharl

Con

What are your benchmarks for national superiority?

What do you base your study of national superiority upon?

Have you travelled the World extensively and made honest, first hand comparisons or do you rely upon edited and manipulated, second hand media information?

Maybe you are simply biased.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of national pride, but I would suggest that national pride is not an accurate measure of superiority.

National pride is similar to religion, it gets lodged inside your head at an early age and is nigh on impossible to shift.

So I almost certainly won't be able to change your mind.

But that doesn't matter.

Happy 6th of July.
AKMath

Pro

If think America is superior to every other country on EVERY single topic. Prove me wrong/Change my mind. Give me a country that you think is better than the USA. My benchmark is everything.
Sonofcharl

Con

Norway is reckoned to be the best Country in the World in which to live.
The U.S.A. is ranked 14th in the same survey.

The criteria used to make this judgement were:
1) Life expectancy
2) G.D.P. per capita.
3) Inflation rate
4)Population
5) Climate
6) Growth rate
7) Corruption
8) Unemployment rate
9) Safety index
10) Cost of living.

Norway was superior to The U.S.A. in all these categories.
Therefore, Norway is a far superior place to be if you ask me.

@Lifestyle9.org
AKMath

Pro

Norway is pretty good, but not better.

Taxes:
Norway imposes a 1% wealth tax every year on all your assets over $144k (including money in your bank account, the house you live in, stocks you own, etc.).
The government takes a nice monthly premium for its 'free' health care out of your monthly paycheck.
25% Norwegian sales tax (VAT) is way above the highest US state sales tax (9.45%)
Cars can be taxed double normal retail (if you want a higher end car like a Volvo you can expect to pay more than $100k in Norway and about $45k in the US)
Miscellaneous death-of-a-thousand-cuts taxes like the $450 annual TV license just to have a TV in your house.

High Prices:
$8-$11/gallon for gas, the most expensive in the world.
High rents.
Getting charged over $4 each time you drive into Oslo and other cities
A modest combo meal from McDonalds costs over $14 (not that I'm a big fan of McDonalds, but we all know the Big Mac Index)
A bag or two of essentials at the grocery store can easily run $75-$100 (milk is $8/gallon, chicken breasts cost $7/lb, etc.).

America is also better as it is much freer. Norway doesn"t guarantee you freedom of speech, and doesn"t protect your right to bear arms.

Also it"s pretty unfair to compare the US to 🇳🇴 as our population is SEVENTY times as big as Norway.

1. Sure, Norwegians live longer but not HEALTHIER.

Having a lower GDP doesn"t necessarily we are worse than Norway.

Our inflation rates are both 1.9 for 2018.

How does having a lower population make you superior to the US?

How does having Winter year round make it superior?

The Us has a 0.5 higher growth rate than Norway.

With more people and politicians comes more corruption.

Norway"s unemployment rate is 0.1 more than the US.

Less people = safer country. A perfect example of this is Vermont.

How is having a much higher cost of living a good thing?

Look, I"m sorry I totally anhilated your argument. Just admit it, America is the best. Most of your so called "facts" were either completely wrong, or were true because of the super tiny population Norway has.

So...
Good luck.
Sonofcharl

Con

Yes. Statistics are as statistics do.

But you openly admitted that the U.S.A wasn't necessarily superior in all categories, which is contrary to your 3rd round assertion.

The U.S.A. isn't the best at everything and certainly isn't the worst and any honest U.S. citizen would freely admit this.

The best and only place to be is Planet Earth and there's nothing much we can do about that.

Happy 7th of July.
AKMath

Pro

Okay fine, America doesn't beat Norway in everything. But it still scores better than I'd say 7/8 of the categories, so I'd say it is still way superior. Any other countries you want me to totally dismantle? Canada?
Sonofcharl

Con

08/07/18. and no major wars at the moment.

The U.S.A. is expansive and diverse, and so is Canada. Both are interesting places to visit. But home is where the heart is and my heart is in the U.K.
For you the U.S.A. will always be superior and no one is ever going to change your mind.

Happy 8th of July.
Posted by AKMath 3 years ago
AKMath
He said America isn't the best country on Earth, so I asked him if he would like to debate me on the topic. Would you?
Posted by Sonofcharl 3 years ago
Sonofcharl
@AKMath

Was your comment to missmedic a euphemism?
Posted by AKMath 3 years ago
AKMath
@missmedic

Would you like to debate me.
Posted by AKMath 3 years ago
AKMath
That @Lifestyle9.org is totally flawed as there is no way Canada is a better country than the US.
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
This says it all;..."""..""""""They are to dumb to know they are dumb.
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca...
https://www.thetoptens.com...
Vote Placed by RMTheSupreme 3 years ago
RMTheSupreme
AKMathSonofcharlTied
Reasons for voting decision: This is hilariously easy for Pro to win. The challenge was to change Pro's mind and accepting this is autoloss because Pro can reply saying 'you didn't change my mind'. The only way this debate format can be won by Con is a one-round debate where Pro's lack of response lets the reader decide of Pro's mind was changed or not. Pro LOST ANYWAY because he/she says in Round 5 "Okay fine, America doesn't beat Norway in everything." but in Round 3 he/she said "I think America is superior to every other country on EVERY single topic. Prove me wrong/Change my mind. Give me a country that you think is better than the USA. My benchmark is everything." so... LOL?