Ew2046
Anonymouscosmos

The USA is not the best country in the world

Ew2046

Pro

Hello I am looking for someone who is actually willing to discuss their beliefs on the subject without forfeiting, Trolling, Or insulting me or others.

This debate comes from another one on the site but I didn't see where that debate was going anywhere so I am opening my own version of the debate.

My position is that the United States of America is not the best country in the world. I have a couple ideas for this debate.

1. I mean the USA in say the past decade and not throughout its whole history. Before the 60s I believe that the USA was one of the leading/best countries in the world (excluding social/equality issues which were a global issue).

2. My definition for best country can be tweaked by my opponent or myself to reach a better for fair definition for the debate.

3. My hope is to disprove the claim that the USA is the best country in the world, As stated by many Americans. I am defining "the best" as the best financially/economically, Best in sciences, Best in social issues (diversity and cultural acceptance), Foreign relations, Political system, And climate.

I will let my opponent type their response first. The reason I put a large character limit because I wasn't sure how much we may need so don't feel obligated to type 10000 characters. I look forward to this debate, Thank you.
Anonymouscosmos

Con

As the wheels of time churn by, The US has cemented its position as the best country in the world, In my humble opinion of course. While our earth technically revolves around the sun, Its people certainly seem to revolve around the US. It"s culture, Affairs and politics are deemed of international importance and are under the constant scrutiny of a diverse group of people from various places.
I think we both might agree on the fact that it"s definitely the most talked about country in the world, And I think this fact also subconsciously signals that a lot of people have hopes attached to it because of it"s discoveries, Power and position.

The US is remarkably developed for it"s size, And its large population( 3rd in the world) combines with it"s resources to provide an amazing field for innovation and is redefining the world as it is. A significant amount of our triumphs as species are because of the people living it the US, It attracts the brightest of minds and gives them the best facilities.

Now you might be perplexed and must think how this is related to the debate, But I strongly believe that a country which has been and will be responsible for a lot of things, Both tangible and intangible, Can inarguably called the best country in the world, For the world. Not quite the best country for its people to live in, Or in a lot of areas, But definitely a country the whole world has attached it"s hopes and dreams on.
Ew2046

Pro

Thank you for debating this with me I hope and believe that this will be a good debate. I want to clarify that the reason I started a second debate is because I wanted to get more information on what possible arguments for con could be.

The USA while being one of the most influential countries is not as important to the rest of the world as the USA government would have you believe. Even if we assumed that the whole world revolved around the USA (I'm not saying that you are saying that) that doesn't inherently make us the best country. I plan on addressesing points on how the USA is both not as free as other countries and that despite the cultural diversity it is not the most accepting country.

I completely agree that the US is probably the most talked about country however that doesn't mean it is the best. The reason why (even before Trump) the US was talked about a bunch is because other countries pick on us and believe we are stupid for how racist and bigoted we are, How much we spent on the military, And how the average American lacks intelligence. Another major reason we are laughed at is that we elected one of the stupidest men into office. Now you may say he isn't stupid but he lies way more than other presidents and cannot spell. On December 23rd this year on his twitter he spelt privileged like "priveledged", I could go on and on about his inability to spell.

If you look at the history of the US, As far as development and science you can argue that the USA is the best country and be close to right. I believe excluding racism and such that before the 1960s the USA was one of the best countries. . People fought for rights, Stood up to the government properly, Accepted immigrants (in some ways), And we made historical advancements. That being said this debate was suppose to be about how the USA is the best country as in present day and not in the past. The USA has not made many advancements in the past decade, Excluding some social change but you can argue that little to none has actually been made.

Most people often believe the USA is the best country because of diversity, Change, And freedom, But I do like where you are going. I want to take the rest of this round to discuss freedom in the US and how the US is not the freest country.

First of all the US prison system is nothing but flawed. Of all of the countries in the world the USA has the highest incarceration rate with 655 people incarcerated per 100, 000 people. The second highest would be El Salvador with only 609 people per 100, 000. In a similar study published on Statista, The USA has 2, 121, 600 prisoners, As of July 2018, Again this number is much higher than any other country in the world. China, Which has over 4 times the amount of people as the USA has roughly half a million less prisoners. US government and citizens pride themselves on freedom while almost. 7% of US citizens are incarcerated. According to a NAACP study, African Americans are incarnated at a rate of more than 5 times that of white Americans. African American teens represent 32% of children arrested. African Americans and Hispanics make up about a third of the population of the USA but they account for roughly 56% of all incarcerated people (as of 2015). This makes no sense, If te a "free country" why is it that the number of people of colour incarcerated is almost twice the amount of the percent of people of colour in the USA.

A second major point against the US being the top country is how despite how in-debt we are (another issue) we account for 37% of the total spending on the military on the planet. The USA spends more money on the military than the other top 7 countries (PGP Foundation and SIPRI Military Expenditure Database May 2018). The Discretionary Spending in 2015 of the USA had over 50% of the money going to our military budget where only 1% was going to food & agriculture to ensure that people are not starving. There is no reason to waste so much money on the military when the country can work toward universal health care, Raising benefits for vets, Preventing people from starving, And fixing our very broken education system. Also of the 7 previously mentioned countries are allies to the US, Excluding one of them.

To expand on freedom the USA is not the only country with "freedom". In fact most countries, Sovereign states, And territories have freedom. The Human Freedom Index (by CATO and Fraser Institutes) publishes a yearly index detailing which country has the most freedom. In order to do this they measure/compare freedom of religion, Assembly, Economy, Civil rights and liberties, And the size/role of the government (along with other factors). The HFI is considered to be the most comprehensive freedom index created. The index said that on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the a country with the most amount of freedom) showed that the average country has a freedom rating of near 7, Meaning the average country is pretty "free". The index listed the USA as the 23rd freest country. The index found that the world's freest countries are Hong Kong (which is a territory of China), Switzerland, Ireland, UK, Australia, And even the Netherlands, Just to name a few.
One of the largest arguments for the USA being the best country is that it is the freest, This claim just is not true. Religious freedom for example is present in Canada, Some in Mexico, Panama, Etc. In fact the USA doesn't even have much religious freedom if you think about it. Native Americans, Jews, Muslims, And Atheists don"t have the same religious freedoms as many Christians. The freedom of religion in the US Constitution have almost never been extended to Native Americans. The Sun Dance, A religious dance, Was illegal until the 80s and many Native American ceremonial items are not legal to have for example eagle feathers, Peyote, And others.
In 2016 according to the FBI 54. 2% of religiously motivated hate crimes occur to Jews. This is sad as the Jewish population only accounts fro roughly 2% of people in the USA (PRRI and Pew Research Center). The USA historically silences groups of people, Especially people of different religions. This in no way embodies freedom, A major claim for why the USA is the best country in the world.

You can see that the US is not the freest country in the world. The argument can be made that the US does not have religious freedom. If a country, Like the US has "religious freedom" but it is only for one religious group, Christians, Than does the US really have religious freedom.

Thank you I will try not to take more of your time for this round

1. Donald Trump's Twitter
2. Washington Post Article "Yes, U. S. Locks people up at a higher rate than any other country" by Michelle Ye Hee Lee. This article links to a lot of other sources covering the incarceration rate of the USA and other countries. This article helps analyse the evidence and explain what some of it means.
3. Statista Countries with the largest number of prisoners per 100, 000 of the national population, As of July 2018. A study of the amount of people incarcerated per capita of countries. The survey/results are from July 19 2018.
4. Statista Countries with the largest number of prisoners, As of July 2008.
5. NAACP Criminal Fact Sheet. Has a list of statistics about the US Prison System. This isn't the most credible source here due to the lack of information about how the information was received but it is an important index/collection of statistics.
6. National Priorities Project - Military Spending in the United States
7. National Priorities Project - U. S. Military Spending vs. The World
8. Peter G. Peterson Foundation U. S. Defense Spending Compared to Other Countries
9. CATO INSTITUTE - Human Freedom Index 2018
10. FBI 2016 Hate Crime Statistics
11. PRRI America's Changing Religious Identity
12. Pew Research Center Religion & Public Life
Anonymouscosmos

Con

Anonymouscosmos forfeited this round.
Ew2046

Pro

Ew2046 forfeited this round.
Anonymouscosmos

Con

Anonymouscosmos forfeited this round.
Ew2046

Pro

Ew2046 forfeited this round.
Anonymouscosmos

Con

Anonymouscosmos forfeited this round.
Posted by Ew2046 3 years ago
Ew2046
I'm really sorry I have had a ton of difficulty publishing this argument
Posted by John_C_1812_II 3 years ago
John_C_1812_II
Okay; point taken the difference between Nation and Country does not matter as the people who share a belief as a Nation, Not Country in America are rude. Maybe it was all the rude people who moved to the United States over the years if they are missing in every other nation.
Posted by Ew2046 3 years ago
Ew2046
It isn't posting my debate
Posted by Ew2046 3 years ago
Ew2046
My opponent accepted this 6 hours ago, Immediately after they joined the site and have not been on since. I am reposting this debate
Posted by backwardseden 3 years ago
backwardseden
I do agree that this country, Namely the USA or also termed as United States of America (who cares what, And or who knows what John_C_1812_II is blanking upon? ) is NOT in any way possible the best country in the world. Especially if you've visited other countries. 1. Other countries have something called "manners". This country does not. 2. Making friends is very easy in other countries. In this country, It is taught especially to children to "not talk to strangers". 3. In other countries, They leave their doors open and do not lock them even while away. Here in this country, It is taught to keep your doors locked at all times. 4. Here in this country trust in blown because it is taught to not trust someone you don't know. In other countries, It is so easy to trust others because they are warm, Kind and caring and there's a turnabout back to manners.

etc etc etc. It really all comes down to trust and care as to why this country, The USA is not the best country in the world.
Posted by John_C_1812_II 3 years ago
John_C_1812_II
There is some context here that can be questioned before the start of debate. Is this debate going to be presented as a United State, Meaning both sides will present cause to why a public grade of A is not possible? A country and a Nation are not the same thing by principle. The United States of America is describing a Nation not a Country, So the focus point in USA is the United State being the best method to apply with constitutional principle in uniting a large group of people with one idea.

Equality as a goal for objects which can be place equal by a basic principle they all share to begin with. The idea is woman are all created equal is a quality that can be described possible by men and woman alike. All men are created equal is a quality that men and woman can describe as possible alike. A man and woman cannot be described as equal by whole truth and nothing but truth, It is impossible without forcing a person to lie.