Anonymous
Augmento

The United Kingdom should let Shamima Begum back in

Pro

While I have zero respect for the Islamic State, It's supporters or Begum herself, I believe the decision to have her citizenship revoked is reprehensible and violates the right to a fair trial.
It is irrefutable that she did leave to join ISIS as an extremist supporter. However, As a British citizen, It is the responsibility of the state to take her back so she can face a fair jury and serve her possible sentence for treason, Among other crimes. She was born there, She grew up there and she was radicalized there, And so she is not the responsibility of any other country but Britain's.
It sets a worrying precedent that the Home Secretary, A lone man, Can make the decision on whether or not to abort criminals from the country; the legal system exists for a reason and this power can definitely be abused in the future.
Augmento

Con

Because of these defeats in the courts, In 2014 an amendment changed Section 40 of the 1981 British Nationality Act to introduce a new power for the home secretary to cancel the citizenship of single nationality holders even at the risk of creating a stateless person. This was specifically tailored to fit the UK"s obligations under international law, And can only take place for conduct that is deemed seriously prejudicial to national interests.

http://theconversation. Com/shamima-begum-legality-of-revoking-british-citizenship-of-islamic-state-teenager-hangs-on-her-heritage-112163
Augmento

Con

Augmento forfeited this round.
Augmento

Con

Augmento forfeited this round.
Posted by recedingDebates 3 years ago
recedingDebates
Britain has been attacked by Islamic State members, British citizens have been killed by the Islamic State, Its fair to say we are at war with Islamic State, Shamima Begum chose to leave her country and join the Islamic State. As far as I'm concerned, That constitutes treason and is basis for revocation of citizenship. It's about the message we send to people who are weighing whether they should join Islamic State.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@Capelett

"Con would either have to argue that it is an unharmful power and that the situation is justified, Or that she is so dangerous that the ends justify the means in this case. "
I didn't know a facist or communist can be right. Guess we might find out in this debate.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@Capelett

Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
@omar2345
On it's own, I don't think the power is enough to plummet the UK into tyranny (even more than I think it is), But I do think it would / will pave the road to such a government.
Con would either have to argue that it is an unharmful power and that the situation is justified, Or that she is so dangerous that the ends justify the means in this case.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@Capelett

So basically they have to admit when a government does not like what you do. They can also kick you out. Sort of like a double edge sword. Sure in the short term that person is gone and cannot influence other people to join IS but the negatives are so catastrophic that fascism or communism would most likely occur due to the power you gave to the government. I think the UK already had the power so guess I might be wrong or when Corbyn gets elected it will turn into to his Marx Utopia even though it is really unlikely to work.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
@omar2345
You could say that I guess. Con would basically be anyone who believes her citizenship being revoked is justified.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@Capelett

You are right but what would Con be advocating for? The state having the power to kick you out if they don't like you?