Anonymous
charcharcharchar

The United States should adopt a publicly funded health care system

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Con

Some may argue that in the US health care costs are extremely inflated causing a substantial loss of money for the lower-class. I am personally against that for many reasons. You only have two rounds in this debate so you should use your arguments wisely.

My first reason is why should other people have to pay for something that they will not be receiving directly. I am not personally responsible for other peoples health. The government is not responsible for giving their citizens health care. This is simply because health care is NOT a basic human right. As a citizen of the United States your basic human rights are food, water, freedom, and access to a basic education. If you are a strong pro-life supporter, it is simply not right to be forced to pay for someone else's abortion. Publicly funded health care is forcing people to pay something that is not a basic human right which is practically communism.

My second argument is the terrible wait times from publicly funded health care. People in Canada have been known to have waited 10+ hours in the emergency room for a doctor. This is a strongly inefficient process. In my area and most other areas in the US I only have to wait 10 minutes in the emergency room to see a doctor. This is largely because some people would abuse health care being publicly funded and go every time they have a cold. Having health care cost more money forces people to only go to the emergency room when they absolutely need it. Not only the emergency rooms but peoples regular doctors offices can get very busy when people are abusing the system.

I will give my next points in my second argument. Good luck to the challenger.
charcharcharchar

Pro

My first reason is that it is a basic human right and an American right. In the Declaration of Independence, it says life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are unalienable rights. This means that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are given to all humans. It says LIFE, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness which means medicine should be provided to all. Also, you said that you should not have to pay for someone else abortion. My response to that is what do you think taxes are? Since you seem not to know I'll tell you. You see taxes are when you pay the government and they use these things for public schools, roads, and general maintenance. This means OTHER PEOPLE use things your tax dollars make. So are you going to not pay taxes anymore?

Next, you send that it will be a long wait time. Will yes that is true I think that a long wait time is better than being bankrupt after one visit, or not even getting a doctor. Also, you said how people would "abuse" the system. This is not true because it DOES NOT HAPPEN.

Con

My original definition of basic human rights are more than what constitution the constitution claims as unalienable things. Whether you have health care or not, you still have a life. Health care will prolong your life. No where in the constitution does it say it is the governments job to prolong your life, just to have one. By the way, I know what taxes are, I know that schools, roads, and general maintenance are all from taxes. But those are entirely different concepts. They are things that the large majority of people agree to pay for. In health care more than 50% of the US does not think they should pay for it. And for the record I agree with paying taxes for those other things you mentioned.

Do you have any idea what it costs for a doctors visit. One visit will not make you bankrupt. If you have health insurance the costs are much lower. Your "proof"" that people do not abuse the system is completely invalid. I have known some Canadians that see people abusing the system all the time.
charcharcharchar

Pro

When I said bankrupt earlier that was wrong, but what is true that is $1,233 for the ER or $800 for an abortion is too expensive. You see in Canadian they universal health care and yes people can abuse the system but EVERY health care plan can be abused. Also, it is a right of a citizen to life. Why is because life means the sequence of physical and mental experiences that make up the existence of an individual. Let me point out a word here PHYSICAL. PHYSICAL means relating to the body. To keep good PHYSICAL health you need to HAVE healthcare. So to sum up you need health care to take care of your physical body, which is a part of life. But with the high prices of medical treatments, many Americans can't afford it. So with no money, you can't keep your body in good health, which is a part of life. Also, Americans don't what universal health care because of the miss information going around about it. I believe that if everyone knew what really would happen then more people would want it.

Thank you for your points before this has been an interesting debate. I have learned a lot about debating tips since I'm only in 7th grade