FanboyMctroll
Ihavegoodopinions

The Witness, WORST video game ever!!!

Ihavegoodopinions has forfeited round #3.
Started: 7/18/2018 Category: Games
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

FanboyMctroll

Pro

First and foremost I have to say right off the bat, DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME!!! The Witness is the worst game I have ever played in my life!!! I got this game because it got all these great reviews and it"s a puzzle adventure game and I love these types of games. So far I have played this game for around 15 hours (played being the operative word here) more like sat there pushing buttons for 15 hours. The graphics are stunning in this game, I will admit that, that is why I will give it 1 star out of 10, but that is it!!! The story or lack of one is, you are on an island in the middle of an ocean and you have to figure out all these puzzles on the island. There are literally 300 puzzles to figure out. You start off in the dark and you see a white circle in the distance, that is the beginning, no introduction story just a black screen and a white small circle, so I sit there waiting for something to happen and nothing, so I use the controller and realize I can move forward towards the dot. It turns out I"m in some tube or sewer or tunnel, I get to the end where the circle is and come out onto an island. That"s the intro. There is one door and a few switches and wires running around to and from the switches. I flick the switches and the door opens and now I"m on a big island. I have a choice to go in a few directions, the island is open for exploring. I head left towards a shack, there is a switch there, a simple puzzle game, I figure it out fairly quickly and notice a set of 6 switches in a row, all the switches are essentially puzzles to figure out, you figure them out and something else turns on. So I figure out the 6 switches and I notice the power turns on somewhere, the cable running from the switch turns bright green and runs off into the distance. I follow the cable and I notice there are switches everywhere, but I follow the bright green wire, it leads me into a boat house and here are more switches. So essentially this game is just 300 switches that when solved slowly open up other areas. Some switches open doors, gates, passages, etc. etc.

Now here is the big problem with this game and why this game SUCKS ROYALLY The switch puzzles at first are fairly simple but then they become more and more difficult. Which would not be a problem as in most games, players get phased in and learn the basics and than the game ramps up the difficulty. I don"t have a problem with that, like Tetris the pieces start falling faster. What I have a problem with is that in The Witness the puzzles change so much that you have no idea what to do at all, because there are no explanations or clues, it goes from simple puzzles to impossible puzzles and I have absolutely no clue how to even tackle them. For example, at first the puzzle games were just simple colors and you had to separate the colors and make it to the exit, ok no problem separate white from black shapes. BUT THEN they introduce other colors, like pink, red, yellow, gray etc. etc. Ok so more challenge separating the colors, that is until I waste 8 hours trying every combination of separating the colors and it doesn"t work, then you realize that some colors go with other colors in pairs to be separated. Of course nobody tells you that, only after 8 hours of wasting my time did I finally figure out that there is no possible way to do it by separating every color by itself. So I started pairing colors, still took 2 hours to figure out that pink goes with red, not black, not blue, not green not white. There is absolutely no guidance or rhyme or reason in this game. I found other puzzles that I had to guess which of the 16 points of the tree to select, no clue again, just trial and error, so finally I guess right and realize that this activated another 16 point tree further down, ok so I head to the next tree and guess same number as the first one, well it"s wrong and for being wrong the first tree shuts off too. So now I have to go back to the first tree, lucky I remembered which point it was, so I activate it again and walk to the second tree to guess again, wrong again, start at tree 1. Finally I guess tree #2, and then it"s on to tree #3, same thing, then tree #4, same thing guess, then 5, then 6. All trial and error and every time you guess wrong you start at the beginning. Pretty stupid if you ask me, no clues just trial and error.

So after 15 hours of frustration with stupid switch puzzles, I find myself exploring the complete island and finding about 280 switches to figure out and absolutely no clue of how to do any of them. Now they have added colors and different shapes to the puzzles, which would be fine if you knew what to do with these shapes. I tried making patterns like the shapes and that does nothing. So basically I"m stuck on an Island with 280 obtuse, illogical, stupid, puzzles that make absolutely no sense to me. It"s like if you put puzzles in 280 different languages and expected me to decipher them all. It"s like having me figure out the whole rubiks cube, (which I have no clue how to do). Last night I managed to lock myself in one part of an island after a long puzzle completion that moved a bridge into another area. There was only one way out and it had 2 puzzles, I figured out the first one but couldn"t figure out the second one, I was going to be stuck on this little area of the island unless I figured out the puzzle, so I essentially sat there for 5 1/2 hours trying to figure out this stupid puzzle. Nothing made sense to me, so I decided to just try every combination in order, kind of like trying to find a four digit pin number by starting with 0000, then 0001, then 0002, 0003 and on and on to 9999. So 2 hours later the door opened, I looked at the solution and it still didn"t make any sense to me. Pretty sad. So I got out of the trapped area and now I"m back to the whole island. So all I can do is walk around from puzzle to puzzle, tinker around and just say I HAVE NO F"N CLUE!!! Nothing in this game makes any sense. THIS IS THE WORST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED IN MY LIFE!!!

I have played difficult games before, games like Resident Evil 6 which I absolutely hated but it was for the lack of ammo, I knew what I had to do, I just had to go up against guys with guns with no ammo, I played games that had tricky puzzles, but you understood what you had to do, you just had to find a way to execute it. Well in The Witness I have absolutely no clue what I"m trying to accomplish with these puzzles. None of the puzzles make any sense, so basically everything is locked up and I can"t go anywhere, just wonder around the middle of the island looking at these stupid switch puzzles. This by far is the worst game ever. I HATE GAMES THAT YOU CAN"T DO ANYTHING IN, BECAUSE NOTHING EVEN MAKES SENSE OF WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING. So I just wonder around lost for hours, and now just thinking about this game makes me so angry because you CAN"T DO ANYTHING IN IT. WORST GAME EVER, DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME OR YOU WILL PUT YOUR CONTROLLER RIGHT THROUGH THE SCREEN. I GIVE IT 1 STAR OUT OF 10

I figure if I was going to manually figure out each puzzle by going 0000, 0001, 0002, we are looking at over 1200 hours for me to complete this game, as one puzzle last night took me 6 hours and it was one of the simpler smaller ones and I have literally 280 more to go. PATHETIC GAME DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME!!!!!!
Ihavegoodopinions

Con

To be honest, I don't even know why I'm taking this. Just look at your username. But I guess I should probably take this seriously.
No. The Witness is not the worst game ever. It's very easy to see that there are a large amount of games objectively worse than the Witness. It has nowhere near the amount of bugs and flaws in coding in other games such as Superman 64. We also can't forget public opinion. The Witness has many 10s and 9s. But let's check your personal arguments. Let me copy and paste a few paragraphs from a Reddit beginner's guide.
"The game will always have a set of "tutorial puzzles" for each new mechanic, so again, if you haven't found the "tutorial" for a certain mechanic or puzzle symbol type, you can just move on." Which means you probably should've tried to see if there was any tutorial. Also, the environment helps a lot.

The environment often plays a role in the puzzles - you often have to literally think outside the box. Look at the environment around or behind the puzzle and see how it might be related. Example (small puzzle spoiler): near the beginning there's some pink trees - the key to the puzzles in that area is to look at their branches. (it hints at this because the puzzle is also pink and shaped like a tree)." It's not that the awnser isn't there, it's just that you weren't in the right mindset for this game. Speaking of that, why didn't you use a guide? Don't let your pride of solving it yourself ruin a game for you. I recommend you give a second chance. Hope I helped.

Sources:https://www.reddit.com...
http://www.metacritic.com...
FanboyMctroll

Pro

Thank you for taking this debate. You have many valid points in round one. So I will continue with my rebuttal.

The Witness does have a high ranking by SOME gave reviewers but also not so good rankings by others. I personally got this game because I was swayed by the reviews raving about this game.

The reason why this is the WORST video game ever is because 1. There is no story, 2. There is no one to interact with no NPC characters, you are essentially on your own. 3. There is no actual game play outside of walking from one puzzle to the next. 4. The game play is essentially 500 same type of make a path on a tablet puzzles.

There are no rewards in this game, you solve a puzzle after scratching your head for 16 hours to only be rewarded with another puzzle. The puzzles are illogical, one time matching colors, next time separating them, there is no tutorial so you have to figure it out on your own. The puzzles are illogical, obtuse and irrational.

Like you mentioned, you have to look outside the box for solutions, well I'm not a mind reader, how would I know that. Most games today give you tutorials, or hints to help you progress. This game has nothing like that, supposedly there are rules that need to be followed which are shown before an area, I have found nothing like that. I have progressed to 57% of the game, strictly by using brute force of manually solving puzzles by going 001, 002, 003, 004, or by simply going right right, right, right. Right , right right left on puzzles.

I have played thousands of games in 30 years of gaming and have never found a more useless game ever. I would rather play PONG or Pacman than play this piece of garbage named The Witness.

Incidentally I do not cheat EVER so I wouldn't be looking up a guide online, I'm not a cheater.

I have a blog reviewing games and also post on Reddit from time to time. Here is my post about The Witness, prove me wrong

The Witness - The shittiest game ever rant!!!

I know I already posted a long rant about The Witness being the worst game ever. Well this is to confirm that IT IS THE WORST GAME EVER. I had to give the game a fair chance since my last rant was only 15 hours into the game. Well I have played this retarded game for 2 months now, I'm 33% of the way through and I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS GAME. Sure people will say, well quit playing it, well maybe it's my OCD or some gaming obsession but, when I start a game I have to finish it, I only play one game at a time, I play every game on the nightmare level or hardest level, because I want it tough and challenging, (maybe I'm a sucker for pain) I focus all my energy on that game and I play it and when not playing it, I think about it, if I'm stuck I think of different options and things to try next time I play it.

So with The Witness I was ready to take on the puzzles, the challenges, I have patience and if I can't figure out a puzzle I will use brute force to solve it. Well I have to say The Witness is ABSOLUTELY THE WORST GAME EVER, and here is why. The puzzles are illogical and nothing is ever explained, EVER!!! It's like if someone kidnapped me and threw me in the middle of isolated China landscape and said go ahead, learn the language, learn the customs, the traditions, everything in life, now GO. it would take you years to adapt. Well that is how The Witness is.

They give you puzzles without any explanation and say go figure them out, ok so I'm trying yet every few puzzles more curveballs are throw in, first we have basic patterns, than some Tetris puzzles, then when you think you have accomplished that lets throw in other mystery challenges, like different colors and different color shapes that deduct shapes and change the rules. The rules for completing these puzzles change all the time and without any explanation or notice. One time I'm trying to separate the colors, next time I'm joining the colors??? One time I'm collecting the black dots in a puzzle, next time I'm omitting them? Absolutely no sense in this game at all. Supposedly there are clues in the environment, Oh really, because some shadows on girders does not equate to the puzzle, trust me I have spend countless hours trying to figure that out, some sun designs mean d!ck all to me in the desert ruins, nothing works for me. You can yell at me in Chinese, (Mandarin, or Cantonese) until you are blue in the face, AND I WILL STILL NOT UNDERSTAND YOU. Well that is what The Witness is. A Latin, Greek, or some Egyptian glyphs game. I would have more success at solving texts on pyramids than playing this game.

Who ever developed this game must be bi-polar, schizophrenic, autistic or just plain retarded and they have their own language of how to solve this game. Because last night I wasted 7 hours trying to solve a puzzle following previous examples of puzzles solved, to only realize the rules have changed for the specific puzzle I was working on, and without any explanation. Boy it's fun when there is no rhyme or reason for anything in a game and no explanations either. And this is supposed to be a game?? a form of entertainment?? No this is a retarded experiment made to see how long a person can play this before they snap!! I bet studies are done by the developers to see how long it takes an average person to delete this from their hard drive, how masochistic a person can be, how much mind torture can they endure before they lose their mind. Well I'm not quitting this game, but I'm taking a very long, long break from this mind numbing exercise, this is not a game, this is a test of your mentality, it's like being water boarded or placed in solitary confinement, some people can last a long time but eventually everyone breaks and loses their marbles, well I'm tinkering on the edge of that with this game so, I'm taking an extended break like maybe 6 months to play NORMAL games that have tutorials, stories, ease you in, want you to progress and enjoy playing it, games that are actually fun, not a mind torture like this stupid science test called THE WITNESS

Sorry I don't speak in bi-polar, schizo, or autistic language or type of thinking and I certainly do not know Latin or Chinese or any other language. So the developers who made this game I have one thing to say, FU with your fvcking mind numbing exercise, this will forever go down as the WORST VIDEO GAME EVER in my opinion and in many other peoples opinions as seen by the flood of "Help I'm stuck" posts on the internet.

The Witness aka The Loser

Witness me wipe my azz on it!!!
Ihavegoodopinions

Con

Alright. I can understand some of your points. Let me first try to counter your complaint about the story.
There is infact a story. Kinda. I might have a few spoilers below, if anyone cares about that.

Really, it depends on the way you like to think about things. Here are 2 different links explaining the story in their own eyes.
https://www.gamesradar.com...
https://www.google.com...
Or really, those are just 2. There are many interpretations online, and that's really what it's about. Taking what you're given, and piecing things together. I can understand the complaint of the story not really being all that prevalent, but that's not what the game is about. It's about the atmosphere. It's kinda hard to explain.

Your second complaint is about the lack of npcs in the game. That, I will say is true. However, a game doesn't need npcs. This game doesn't need npcs. If they were fit in, it wouldn't make sense for a game that wants you to feel isolated.

Now to talk about issues 3 and 4. You claim the only gameplay is walking to the puzzles, and doing the same type of puzzles over and over again. I believe these to both be false. The Witness is about exploring. You're supposed to explore the island, and just do a puzzle when you stumble upon one. There are also 7 puzzle types, more than one. But they are all trace puzzles, I'll give you that. But they all have their own mechanics, and introduce more mechanics as they go on.
https://www.google.com...

As for you saying there are no rewards in this game, that's not the point. Sure, the biggest reward you might get is that amazing feeling when you finally beat something hard, but the true reward is that. Once you beat that game, you will feel good. As for you saying the puzzles are illogical and have no tutorials, that's false too. Let me copy and paste a bit from the above link showing the types of puzzles.
"You"ll see this tutorial-like sequence of panels featuring black and white squares shortly after starting The Witness, and the lessons you"ll learn here apply to a majority of puzzles featured throughout the game. It"s easy to complete many puzzles in this sequence without fully understanding the rules it"s trying to teach you, however, this makes it difficult to identify your mistakes when you fail. If you"re unable to complete this sequence on your own, here"s what you need to know: differently colored squares must be separated with a dividing line.

Puzzles with multiple colored squares often require you to chart convoluted paths from entrance to exit, in order to fully enclose clusters of one particular color and separate them from other colors. It may help to think of the line you draw as a border that separates elements within each puzzle, rather than a trail leading from entrance to exit. Feel free to spend some extra time with these puzzles before you move on. Once you master the principles at work here, you"re ready to take on the bulk of the game"s challenges."
The game does give you tutorials. As for you saying you had no idea to look outside the box, I believe that's true. Which means you probably aren't the type of person for this game. The reviews you read should have at least gave you some kind of idea for the game. I don't want to sound rude, but if you don't think outside of the box, and only focus on what's right in front of you, this game is going to go over your head. I suggest you retry it with this mindset, then come back and give your criticism. Thanks for reading.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

I appreciate all your comments on The Witness, you have some good points, but I must stress that this is not a game. This is a Leap Frog exercise and for anyone like me who got fooled into thinking this is an adventure/puzzle game, IT'S NOT.

The Witness could have been a good video game, IF they added some kind of story, an intro story or some kind of reason why you are on the island in the first place. The micro recordings could still have been hidden but would provide clues to puzzles. The puzzles themselves could have been different instead of the same move around a maze screen going left right left, could have used more puzzles like in The Talos Principle.

They could have had some dangers thrown in or maybe some native cannibals to make the game more exciting by having you sneak around while trying to solve the puzzles. A day and night cycle. Like I said before I give this game 1 star for the graphics out of 10.

I wouldn't even consider this a game. This is more of a mental exercise for retards like those exercises on Leaf Frog for kids. All you do is try to figure out some stupid candy crush/tetris/bejeweled puzzle, to be rewarded with another same stupid puzzle with a different variation. That to me is not a video game, just a lame IOS exercise.

You want to talk about good video games, how about Horizon Zero Dawn, now there is a game, a great story, action, suspense, reward system.

The Witness will for ever go down as the shittiest video game in the video game history books, right there with the ET for Atari

https://www.bbc.com...
Posted by Club 2 years ago
Club
I thought video games were for nerds, And adhd people only
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 years ago
FanboyMctroll
Yeah I don't get the game, but with an IQ of 144 the conclusion is that this game is illogical, because I can figure out anything.

And maybe I lied on how old I am
Posted by noobdebatr123 3 years ago
noobdebatr123
Also, you say you've been gaming for over 40 years, but, it says in your profile your 27...? How does that even work out?
Posted by noobdebatr123 3 years ago
noobdebatr123
or maybe you're just bad at the game. "\_(|84;)_/"
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 years ago
FanboyMctroll
Because I'm a credited Serious Big Time Gamer who has been gaming for over 40 years. I started gaming when PONG came out and the Atari 2600, I have played virtually 1000's of games and I have a blog on games I play.

I have played action games, adventure games, platform games, horror games, puzzle games, strategy games and trust me you do not want to play The Witness, the ratings are all fixed by having developers of this piece of sh!t rate it, that is why I got the game, because of the ratings, well it's complete crap.

You would hate it too, and I can guarantee you $1000 that you would never finish this game because the puzzles are irrational and only a schizo or autistic person that's off his meds could understand this game. You would have to resort to cheating like the thousands that do now and look on line for clues, well I don't cheat, never have, and I love a good challenge like an escape room, but The Witness is by far the worst game ever!!!

I'm just warning people, don't get fooled by the ratings, that's how they got me, so now I'm just telling the truth.
Posted by What50 3 years ago
What50
Isn't that based on personal opinion and not facts? I checked the ratings on steam, and is overwhelmingly positive, I ask you, why should we trust your word, than the words of others?
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 years ago
FanboyMctroll
I can figure out any puzzle as long as it's logical

This piece of sh!t game has no tutorials, no rhyme or reason and the puzzle rules change and they are illogical and obtuse.

Unless you are a schizophrenic off his meds, you will not understand this game
Posted by What50 3 years ago
What50
So it's a bad game because you can't figure out the puzzles?
Posted by What50 3 years ago
What50