DarthVader1
rdococ2

The anti-Fascist movements are carried out by a bunch of hypocrites.

DarthVader1 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 2 years ago Status: Debating Period

DarthVader1

Pro

The Fascists of the future will call themselves anti-fascists- Winston Churchill

He was right.
rdococ2

Con

Anti-fascism is simply a political philosophy that advocates for fighting fascism and preventing it from rising up again through any means necessary. Given what happened in the Holocaust, I think that is a good goal.

Violence is not enough to be fascist - otherwise, Most countries would be fascist. Fascism usually implies a belief in racial superiority and nationalism, Which anti-fascists are opposed to. Neither is suppressing any kind of speech, And anti-fascists only serve to suppress speech that can result in things like, Y'know, The Holocaust.

I'd also like to briefly mention the "free marketplace of ideas". Essentially, The idea is that if you allow free speech to reign, That people are 100% rational and care about everyone, And the bad ideas will be weeded out. I personally think that this is not the case.

Especially when politics is simplified into terms such as "left" and "right", And simple binary issues such as "gun control" and "climate change", People tend to form tribalistic groups that don't really debate or try to convince each other, As they do try to recruit the audience of people that are on the fence. Human brains weren't designed for rational thought.

This is why I think that certain kinds of speech, Such as those espoused by fascist groups, Have the danger to convert moderates to their cause, Or at least cause moderates to tolerate them and view them as normal, Allowing them to gain influence and power.

This is why anti-fascists may try to suppress that kind of speech, As bad as that sounds. It would be much worse, Otherwise.
DarthVader1

Pro

What does punching a white nationalist accomplish anything other than provide white nationalists with validation for their assertion that violence against white people is becoming increasingly acceptable? It doesn't really accomplish anything. It's not going to change anybody's mind about the state of race relations in this country. If anything, It's just going to make things worse because it sets a precedent that if you don't like somebody's right wing opinions, That's acceptable to assault them.

If you have right-wing opinions, You can expect to be assaulted because some wacko in a balaclava might try to punish you for anything. The fact that so many people celebrated after Richard Spencer was caught on camera being punched goes to show how obsessed the political left has become with their own feelings. It feels good to punch a white nationalist, And who cares if it makes things worse? Violence is okay as long as we're the ones doing it. So what if it makes us look like a bunch of hypocrites while we claim to be fighting for justice and it only hurts our cause in the long run?

By the Antifa definition of a Nazi: ANYBODY WHO DISAGREES WITH YOU IS A NAZI. So, Is it okay for me to punch you since I disagree with you, And hence you automatically become a Nazi? Oh, It isn't? Oh, I see.

Just like it's okay for black people to make hateful comments about white people, But not vice-versa, It's okay for you to use violence against people YOU don't agree with but not for other people to use violence against you? These people are full of double standards. So if you advocate violence against other people, It doesn't make you a Nazi, Even though that's exactly what a Nazi does.

Richard Spencer is a white nationalist, Not a white supremacist and even if he was I wouldn't want to watch him get sucker-punched by a coward in a black mask and you to think it's totally acceptable and even morally righteous to do so because he happens to hold an opinion you don't like. Imagine, If someone punched you and threw labels like 'Communists' at you. Would you be so smug about it then and try to justify it?

As far as I know, Richard Spencer has never physically assaulted anyone, So even if he is a white supremacist, Then the guy who punched him is not just a racist. He's a bully. A violent bully who thinks it's okay to beat up people you disagree with and use fear and intimidation to silence them. And since antifascists believe in VIOLENCE to SILENCE DISSENT, Then I believe that THEY HAVE MORE IN COMMON WITH THE NAZIS than Richard Spencer does.

The hypocrisy is easily pointed out when coward antifascists disrupt lectures by chanting "we will not be silenced! " while using violence to silence others.

Oh so you support the free speech of anti-fascists but not the free speech of right-wing people?
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
So you support physics, But you don't support gravity?

If you don't want the Holocaust to be repeated, Then why are the Antifa cowards against Israel?

There is only one kind of speech that is prohibited by the Constitution, And that is the speech which directly incites violence. And if you decide to label my speech as hate speech just because you don't agree with it, Then you're the fascist.
rdococ2

Con

Now you're just outright lying. LITERALLY no anti-fascist has ever said that. I can't even formulate an argument here, Because there's literally nothing to go off here, Except "oh, By the way, I know for sure that my political opponents said XXX and did YYY, So they're evil! ". No evidence, No reason, Nothing.

The idea that anti-fascists call everyone they disagree with fascists is propaganda spread by fascists in an attempt to discredit anti-fascists. I probably can't convince you of this, But maybe I can show you an example using Richard Spencer.

Richard Spencer is a white supremacist. White nationalists are white supremacists. He is also a fascist. Did you know that fascists are bad people? Allowing them to spread their rhetoric will lead to genocide. Everyone knows this, And learned this when the Holocaust happened - except people like you, Apparently. Punching a few bad people is way better than genocide, Don't you think?

Actually, I can do better than that. Go on Wikipedia and look for the article on Richard Spencer. There's so much information about who he really is there, That I bet you won't read any of it, And will come up with an excuse not to view that evidence.

White people literally committed genocide against the Native Americans and enslaved black people in the US for centuries, In the recent past, And the effects can still be felt by black people today, While you just want to moan because someone called you a mean name once. I think you might have skewed priorities.

As far as I'm aware, The kind of leftists that would become anti-fascists don't like Israel either.

Oh, And simply trying to stop certain kinds of speech is not fascist. If someone tells you to stop swearing, Are they a fascist? If your teacher tells you to be quiet in class, Are they a fascist? I think not. You just want to apply that label to anti-fascists, Because you're scared of them. I wonder why.
Posted by DarthVader1 2 years ago
DarthVader1
Ah, Damn, I checked it now. You're right. It was in the news for some time. So I thought it was him. Nevertheless, The sentiment of the quote is correct regardless of who said it.
Posted by Chronosofwisdom 2 years ago
Chronosofwisdom
I did a fact check, That quote is incorrect
Posted by DarthVader1 2 years ago
DarthVader1
Liberals want conservative ideas to be stopped. That is where their movement loses credibility.
Nice joke, By the way, Ralph.
Posted by WrickItRalph 2 years ago
WrickItRalph
@Franklin. Under the guise of liberalism is better. A liberal ideal could never support fascism unless you use that fake ID politic liberalism.
Posted by WrickItRalph 2 years ago
WrickItRalph
The only kind of movements I support are bowel movements.
Posted by DeletedUser 2 years ago
DeletedUser
"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism"-Ronald Reagan.
Posted by Chronosofwisdom 2 years ago
Chronosofwisdom
can't tell you how much I agree with you. . .