maggiedmiller
philochristos

The bible was written by some king thousands of years ago

maggiedmiller has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

maggiedmiller

Pro

I believe whole heatedly , the bible was written by someone in a high position thousands of years ago , to give the (then) current society a set of morals and values to live by. And I also believe god isn't real but is a made up leader of this fictional story. Give me a logical reason to think otherwise.
philochristos

Con

Good evening, and thank you for coming to tonight's debate.

Pro did not spell out any rules or format such as "round 1 is for acceptance only." Ordinarily, Pro gives their opening statement first, then Con responds. But Pro hasn't given us an opening statement yet. However, since Pro said, "Give me a logical reason to think otherwise," I interpret that to mean that Pro wants me to go first. I will go ahead and give an opening statement, but keep in mind that Pro has the burden of proof in this debate. That means Pro has to give arguments showing that The Bible was written by some king (or governmental authority as Pro said in the comments) thousands of years ago. Unless Pro shoulders that burden of proof, Pro can't win the debate. It's not enough to just refute my arguments; Pro has to make a case of his or her own.

I am going to make the case that there is both internal and external evidence showing that the Bible could not have been written by any one king or government at some fixed time in the past. Rather, the Bible had to have been written by multiple people over a long period of time.

First, the New Testament writes about a fellow named Pontius Pilate who was prefect of Judea from 26 CE to 36 CE. We know that Pilate was a real historical person because he shows up in multiple sources both inside and outside the Bible. Moreover, in the 1960's an inscription was found in Judea that dates to the first century, and it has Pilate's name on it.[1] If the entire Bible was written by one entity for one purpose at one time, it would follow that the entire Bible had to have been written no earlier than the first century, and more specifically after Pilate became prefect of Judea.

But if that were the case, it would leave Judaism unexplained. Like Christians, Jews are "people of the book." Their entire culture and religion flows from the Tanakh--i.e. the Torah, the writings and the prophets. Christianity was seen by most Jews of the first century as a heresy, and to combat this heresy, they convened a council near the end of the first century to establish the Jewish canon, excluding some of the books Christians used, like Wisdom of Solomon. This conflict between Christians and Jews would make no sense unless Judaism predated Christianity, which means Judaism predates the New Testament, which means the books in the Old Testament predate the books in the New Testament.

Judaism did not just pop into existence in the first century. It was so fully formed by the first century that there were separate factions, like the Sadducees, the Pharisees, the Essenes, the Zealots, etc. That sort of organization and splintering takes time.

Besides these evidences, we have manuscripts of the Old Testament that predate Christianity. Some of them were preserved in the caves of Qumram and discovered in the 1940's.

We also know that whereas most of the Old Testament was written in Hebrew, and some in Aramaic, the New Testament was all written in Greek. Moreover, the Old Testament was translated into Greek between 300 BCE and 1 BCE. But the Greek of the New Testament differs from the Greek of the Septuigint in much the same way that modern English differs from Elizabethan English. The Septuigint is in classic Greek whereas the New Tesatment is in Koine Greek. This suggests that the Septuigint predates the New Tesatment by at least a hundred years if not more.

We also know that by the first century, there were organized centers of learning among the Jewish people in where rabbis learned both the written and the oral torah. Hebrew was not the common language of the Jewish people in Judea, but they had to learn it in these schools. Aramaic was more commonly spoken. There was a whole system of midrash by the first century, which were written commentaries on the Hebrew scriptures. That means the Hebrew scriptures had to have predated the first century.

Even if there were a printing press in the first century, it would not account for how widespread the Hebrew scriptures were. Practically every synagogue throughout the Roman empire, from Alexandria to Rome, had a copy of the Hebrew scriptures. Both Josephus and Philo of Alexandria commented on the Hebrew scriptures.

Much more could be said, but unless one were a conspiracy theorist or an historical revisionist, the reasonable conclusion from just this evidence alone is that the Bible was written by multiple persons over long periods of time. I'll provide more evidence in the next round if necessary.

NOTES
1. https://www.allaboutarchaeology.org...
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
What a totally absurd argument: the literature of the Prophets and Holy Writings - some 30 or more generations involved in writing this pre Babylonian exile Judaic State!
Posted by maggiedmiller 3 years ago
maggiedmiller
@philochristos meaning some government consisting of what I would suppose multiple people , wrote it.
Posted by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
Just to be clear, are you saying that one individual who lived thousands of years ago wrote the entire Bible?