TbnrFTW
Hadii

The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was justifiest

Hadii has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

TbnrFTW

Pro

Rules: Total of 4 rounds, con may start first
Hadii

Con

Japan surrendered because of the Soviets not the atomic bombing.

Before Hiroshima a numerous amount of cities were destroyed by the U.S. Army Air Force, and Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not the most destructive. Hiroshima was 2nd in civilian deaths, ranked 4th in the number of square miles destroyed, and 17th in cities destroyed. Why would Japan surrender after these bombings, but didn't for the others. The retired Japanese Foreign Minister, Shidehara Kijuro, even said that the people will get used to the bombings and not give up because of them. The only explanation for Japan's unconditional surrender, was the Soviet Union declaration of war, followed by invasion of Manchuria on 9 August, 1945.

What was the result of the atomic bombings? Thousands dead and Japanese citizens being affected by radiation to this day. I know the cities had milltary bases, but more innocent people died than soilders. This is why I do not believe that the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were justified.

TbnrFTW

Pro

That you for accepting this Challenge, and my deepest apology for spelling the word justified wrong.

To be honest with you, I get where you're going at. The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki maybe is a bit overboard. But first of all, let me clarify a few things. The US was more interested in ending the war faster, so they wouldn't hesitate to use the a-bombs, even if it means to break their own laws (Hague Convention, Article XXII) Also, there are actually 4 reasons why Japan decided to "unconditionally surrender" and Soviet invading Manchuria is just one of them. I'm sure you know Hirohito didn't decide to surrender after 2 A-bombs, it was the bombing after the a-bombs that forced Hirohito to surrender. He was mainly afraid of his civilians dying from another a-bomb. So you see, if the atomic bomb did not have the devastating effect they had, then it would have been utterly pointless.
Posted by Hadii 3 years ago
Hadii
Sorry didn't have time to write my 2nd argument.