Cadermate
MEMERDANK

The earth is flat

Cadermate has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Cadermate

Pro

The earth is obviously flat. We live on a plane accelerating upward through space at 9.8m per second, and all NASA evidence is fake. Go ahead and try to prove me wrong.
MEMERDANK

Con

The earth is not flat. Let us say that it is. Then, we would be attracted to the center of mass which would be the middle of the flat earth. Then, as we walked further away from the center, we would feel as though walking up a hill, getting steeper and steeper as we reached the edge. That is obviously not the case. So that contradicts our previous assumption that the earth is flat. Also, gravity naturally pulls matter into a shape with equally distributed forces, or in a nutshell, into a sphere shape. So the earth is not flat.
Cadermate

Pro

Your argument is for gravity. But, how do we even know it exists in the first place, and instead earth is accelerating upward at 9.8mps?
MEMERDANK

Con

The earth must be a sphere because of the Coriolis Effect. The Coriolis effect is based upon the rotation of the earth. How is it rotating in a way that it satisfies the theorem and is still flat? It is impossible! The Earth must be a sphere rotating along its axis for the Coriolis effect to work. So the earth cannot be flat. There is also something called momentum. If you were traveling on this flat earth, you would be going 9.8 meters per second in a direction. If you jumped then that would be adding to that speed, therefore, making you travel faster than the flat earth and float away from this earth. That is not the case. Also, if you jumped on this earth or even walked or ran (assuming you don't float off) You would be pushing the earth in the opposite direction it was heading. The force applied would not be a lot but I'm pretty sure that there were a lot of people jumped, ran, and or walked since the beginning of time. That would greatly slow the falling rate of you. You might say that the earth had a faster velocity a long time ago but that is not true because then the landscape that we have today would not be possible due to the pressure and other factors.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Mass attracts mass
Posted by Darth_Unicorns 3 years ago
Darth_Unicorns
Ok. Let"s say gravity didn"t exist, what is keeping you feet on the ground?
Posted by Cadermate 3 years ago
Cadermate
Good job. I don't have an answer for these questions because I am not a flat earther. I wanted to debate from their perspective, but I can't. So, I forfeit the debate. Good job MEMERDANK and the people in the comments.
Posted by KoldSwett 3 years ago
KoldSwett
What happens to the stars? Different stars are seen from different latitudes and longitudes.
Posted by Wizofoz 3 years ago
Wizofoz
Now, of course, the sun. moon and planets would ALSO have to be accelerating upward, right? And they ARE spherical, right? And gravity doesn't exist- so what is making THEM accelerate?
Posted by Wizofoz 3 years ago
Wizofoz
You are arguing that gravity exists because of this proposed acceleration. If the earth were just maintaining a constant velocity (and velocity relative to what? Velocity is relative. Acceleration is absolute) This would not account for gravity.

I suspect you have adopted someone else's argument without understanding it's implications.
Posted by Cadermate 3 years ago
Cadermate
Maybe not accelerating, but maintaining the speed. Sorry. I should have worded that differently.
Posted by Wizofoz 3 years ago
Wizofoz
We are not accelerating vertically as we would have exceeded the speed of light long ago.