Factsman
birdtrainer88

The gender wage gap is a myth

Factsman has forfeited round #5.

Factsman

Pro

The gender wage gap is a myth, change my mind.
birdtrainer88

Con

I will accept your debate, though really I would like a few more clarifications. What does the term "myth" imply here? That women and men earn the same on average, or perhaps you are trying to argue that it is not institutionalized? Regardlessly, clarification will go a mile-and-a-half here, as I really cannot put up a very detailed argument only based off of this.

My general position on this matter that I will defend is that there is indeed a disparity on the average wages between men and women overall, as well as in some (but not all) industries. These are in my opinion, partly as a result of societal norms, partly because of institutionalized issues, and in part because of the choices women in the Western World make.

Good day!
Factsman

Pro

I believe the wage gap statistic that a man makes 77 cents to every dollar a man makes is false. The wage gap statistic that a woman earns 77 cents to every dollar a man makes comes from comparing the average earnings of all men and all women working full-time. It does not account for differences in occupation, position, education, job tenure, or hours worked per week when such relevant factors are considered the wage gap narrows to the point of vanishing the average man. Childless women aged 22 to 30 out-earned young childless men by 8% among workers who have never been married and never had children women earned a hundred and seventeen percent of what men do. I have provided statistics from government-funded sources
birdtrainer88

Con

I'd ignore the fact that you blatantly copy pasted this argument from an older debate, but even that aside, I want to point out that you did not provide any actual sources towards your argument, which really does complicate things. I'll try my best to provide a rebuttal either way.

Yes, women's choices often reflect lower salaries, I mentioned that in my above argument, which I frankly doubt that you read. However, there are significant pay gaps for women at nearly all levels of education and line of work, according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics. ((U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2017b). Another major factor is that of social norms- in many households it is considered to be wrong for women to enter such fields.
Factsman

Pro

I apologize for not including my sources. (AAUW) and (United States Department of Labor). And yes I did copy my last argument from MY older debate. The other guy did not respond so I copied my own argument. Back to the debate.

If what you are saying is true, then businesses would have hired only women. It would be much more profitable. Not to mention it is illegal to pay a woman less than a man based on gender. And the social norm you brought into your argument ended decades ago.
birdtrainer88

Con

Apologies, I wasn't aware. Anyway, your argument about paying women is a good one but there are several limitations. It is indeed illegal to pay women less than their male counterparts, and there have been lawsuits on the matter, but something being illegal doesn't mean it doesn't happen (see the War on Drugs) and this does happen (see my previous argument). Another issue is that employers may see women as less qualified to take on jobs than their male counterparts. This is more likely to occur with women who have given birth or are with child.

Yes, I would say social norms do play into this, but this is hard to measure. I would argue that though the wage gap exists, newer norms and trends mean it will actually disappear.
Link in comments
Factsman

Pro

This is, unfortunately, going to be my last argument because I am going on vacation.
Your argument is a good one. However, if it was true. Then childless women would not out-earn childless men by 17%. (United States Department of Labor)
birdtrainer88

Con

Well then I guess this is the last round; end the debate if you can. Frankly, your counter-argument doesn't really make sense because I was talking about women who were not childless but rather with child. It is also important to analyze this statistic more carefully. In regards to its origin, I could only find a study brought up by a conservative pundit, a study that was over severn years old and only analyzed women in heavily urbanised areas.

As a matter of fact, there are plently of other, newer studies, that suggest that childless women make the same, or even less than childless men. Moreover, readers haven't been provided any links, only vague references to gvmt agencies.

I hope that my argument is better constructed, so please vote con!
Posted by birdtrainer88 5 months ago
birdtrainer88
Some (but not all of my sources) that I cannot post due to the character limit:

https://www.epi.org...

https://www.aauw.org...

https://www.theatlantic.com...
Posted by birdtrainer88 5 months ago
birdtrainer88
I will reply in a bit. Next time could you have a longer character limit please?
Posted by birdtrainer88 5 months ago
birdtrainer88
I will be at liberty to provide sources when my opponent decides to do so, or if anybody asks me to do this.
Hell, I'll give them now if y'all really want to.