OrangeTortoise
Ulixen

The movie Black Panther promotes racial equality

OrangeTortoise has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

OrangeTortoise

Con

Claim- The movie promotes racism towards white people, and makes them seem ignorant.

Con can go first.
Ulixen

Pro

Black Panther does not promote racism towards white people; rather, it focuses on the rich and diverse mix of cultures from African origins. And yes, I daresay that Western cultures are usually ignorant towards other varieties of cultures. However, I can understand your claim; there are some scenes in the movie, that paint white folks in an unfavorable light, and to an extent, it is unfair- however, I question the movies that previously have painted African-American people in a less favorable light, yet have gone by without notice.
OrangeTortoise

Con

"Black Panther does not promote racism towards white people; rather, it focuses on the rich and diverse mix of cultures from African origins" Yes, they show a variety of different cultures, but my claim wasn't that Black Panther doesn't show African cultural diversity, it's that the movie promotes racism towards white people.
"And yes, I daresay that Western cultures are usually ignorant towards other varieties of cultures." I was specifying white people, not a general western culture.
"However, I can understand your claim; there are some scenes in the movie, that paint white folks in an unfavorable light, and to an extent, it is unfair-" So . . . you agree with me?
"however, I question the movies that previously have painted African-American people in a less favorable light, yet have gone by without notice." We're talking about Black Panther, not other movies.
Throughout the movie, the characters have said some pretty racially inappropriate (borderline racist) things to the white people like colonizer and oppressor.
Ulixen

Pro

You claimed that the focus of your claim was that the movie was racist towards white folks- but that wasn't the point of the movie at all, which is why I mentioned the fact that the point of the movie was to show a many different cultures, not to show racism to white people. How does that promote racism toward white people? Furthermore, throughout the history of time, white people HAVE been the "colonizer" and the "oppressor"; although it isn't on the scale that it was before in modern times. Quite honestly though, if you're going to cry victim due to some racial insensitivity in a movie, whether white, black, or whatever color of skin you may be, you may as well cry victim for nearly all the movies throughout the history of cinema, since nearly all of them feature a tidbit of racism throughout them. Also, if you could direct me to examples of your claim, I'd be most appreciative.
OrangeTortoise

Con

Racism- a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

"You claimed that the focus of your claim was that the movie was racist towards white folks- but that wasn't the point of the movie at all, which is why I mentioned the fact that the point of the movie was to show a many different cultures, not to show racism to white people." It doesn't matter if it showed different african cultures, It still bashed white people.
"How does that promote racism toward white people?" Showing different african cultures isn't racist, but calling a white person colonizer or oppressor is racist, since you're degrading/showing prejudice towards them based on their race.
"Furthermore, throughout the history of time, white people HAVE been the "colonizer" and the "oppressor"; although it isn't on the scale that it was before in modern times." It doesn't matter if white people (British, not americans) were the colonizers or if they were oppressors towards us, that has past and is generally considered a horrible time period. White people (now americans) aren't slavers, they're not colonizers, so by calling them that you're insulting them.
"Quite honestly though, if you're going to cry victim due to some racial insensitivity in a movie, whether white, black, or whatever color of skin you may be, you may as well cry victim for nearly all the movies throughout the history of cinema, since nearly all of them feature a tidbit of racism throughout them." Once again, we're talking about Black Panther, not other movies.
"Also, if you could direct me to examples of your claim, I'd be most appreciative." I already have? Killmonger calling the museum lady colonizer in the beginning and him calling white people oppressors.
Also, nearly everybody in Wakanda is a xenophobe. That's pretty racist.
Ulixen

Pro

First of all, British people are white people. So, when stating (British, not Americans) isn't fair; after all, Americans also have tried their hand in colonizing other countries. Second of all, Americans have also been oppressors- if you need examples of that, I'd be more than happy to show you examples of it. I can predict that you'd mention "Oh, but that was the past"- the past still affects present, in more ways than one. Also, there are some recent events that also show that the United States of America, which is mainly consisted of white people, still lives in its oppressive state. If you need examples, again, I'd be more than happy to give you some.
Let me bring you back to your last statement: "Also, nearly everybody in Wakanda is a xenophobe. That's pretty racist." If you remember the movie, it wasn't the irrational fear of *white* people, rather the fear of other countries outside of their own. Yes, there were some who were afraid of white people, who were different from their own; but once again, the main fear was countries/nations outside their own.
Moving on to Killmonger- he was the antagonist in the movie. Let me say that again; He was the ENEMY of the protagonist., T'Challa, who hasn't shown any type of racism towards white people. If you knew his history, he's the man who stops at nothing for victory, who sold his soul to Mephisto, and yes, a person who possessed a spirit of racism in himself. But his statements don't dictate the views of the people, since he's their enemy.
Before you watch the movie, read the comics. Just a recommendation, so you can understand why some things are said, and why the events of the movie unfold the way the do.
Posted by ThoughtsandThoughts 3 years ago
ThoughtsandThoughts
I'm interested in this debate. If someone reminds me, I'll try to vote on it!
ThoughtsandThoughts
If the movie was racist, why was Martin Freeman included as the token white minority
Posted by OrangeTortoise 3 years ago
OrangeTortoise
Oof, sorry for the brain fart. I meant Pro can go first.