WestDoggies
squishy_tofu

The new Gillette commercial is an attack on men

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

WestDoggies

Pro

Originally, Gillette"s slogan was "The Best a Man Can Get", Which remained their go-to for many years and was soemthing which inspired men of all ages and made them feel prioud of being a man. But now, Gillette has replaced this motivational feel-good commercial with "Believe-The Best Mem Can Be" which does nothing to empower men at all, Instead it purely makes men out to be horrible little sexually-harassing/assaulting bullies who need to be taught what it means to be a good person. Interspersed throughout the commercial are little flashes of news coverage of sexual harassment or assault and examples of men behaving badly. This is shown as your everyday man abuses or bullies women, Attacks men and makes himself the most powerful person in the room. This is portrayed as normal and something every man should take responsibility for. While the ad is right to point out that men should hold other man accountable for their actions, It is wrong to show that all men treat women badly and beat other men up at any given opportunity. This ad represents the mass global assault on men, Masculinity and what it means to be a guy. This is very dangerous as any ad who targeted women in the same way would be shut down and attacked by the very feminists calling this new Gillette commercial good. Persuade me I"m wrong.

1: Original Gillette ad c. 1989 (The Best a Man Can Get) https://youtu. Be/ThDBf14qPsc
2: New Gillette ad c. 2018 (We Believe: The Best Men Can Be) https://youtu. Be/koPmuEyP3a0
squishy_tofu

Con

The commercial is only an attack on the people it"s adressing. You don"t get afraid when people say murder is wrong, And you don"t get mad that murderers get convicted. Most people would respond; it doesn"t apply to me, I don"t murder people. Since that"s the case for murder, Why don"t we see things the same way as with rape or sexual assault. If you don"t rape people, Or sexually assault people, Why are you scared or hurt that people are being told not to sexually assault people? Maybe the reason this ad has you shaking in your boots is because your the people it"s talking/referring to.
WestDoggies

Pro

WestDoggies forfeited this round.
squishy_tofu

Con

squishy_tofu forfeited this round.
WestDoggies

Pro

WestDoggies forfeited this round.
squishy_tofu

Con

My oponent has forfeited the previous round, And I have no other points to make.
WestDoggies

Pro

WestDoggies forfeited this round.
squishy_tofu

Con

squishy_tofu forfeited this round.
WestDoggies

Pro

WestDoggies forfeited this round.
squishy_tofu

Con

squishy_tofu forfeited this round.
Posted by Masterful 3 years ago
Masterful
The Gillette advert was propaganda generalizing men as sexual predators and natural bullies. It directly attacks the saying- "Let boys be boys" mocking such a saying is to suggest that boys behaving like boys, Is wrong.

I'm happy to see the Gillette stocks drop and I will avoid their product.
Posted by Surgeon 3 years ago
Surgeon
Basically Pro you are correct it is an attack on masculinity, Which seems to be an on-going theme these days. But frankly who cares. I think most men are strong and stoic enough to brush it off. I'm actually grateful that it has surfaced and called out 3rd wave Feminists for their middle class, Self-entitled and self-serving persepectives. They want to attack men for "Toxic Masculinity", But it is a projection of their own toxicity. These feminists live in a cosy middle class bubble, Where they want the top jobs in the middle class profesions (whteher qualified ot not) like Journalism, Industry, Law, Finance, Media, Politics. You won't see them arguing for euality in Sewage, Waste Disposal, Off Shore oil drilling, Hi voltage pylon repair etc etc. You won't see them sticking up for the lower class women who are victims of Kasmir Rape Gangs. Both the victim and perpatrator makes it uncomfortable for them to talk about. They whine about the mythical patriarchy and claim the outcomes that men hold most positions of power is because of Patriarchal sexism, When in realityit is competence, Drive and conscientiousness.

Imagine the tears, Outrage, Cries of shame and hurt if the new L'oreal advert was ". . . Because your worth it. . . Men invented this and have built most things in the society you now inhabit and frankly at the extremes of the normal distribution of intellect women can't cut it can they? ". The only thing you will get in response is an ad hominem attack. Character assissination as opposed to any real argument. Its already started in this debate, As your opponent wants to throw mud at your reputation without even knowing you.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@Dr. Franklin

Because men forgot what crimes are if we actually take advice from a Gillette advert.
Not women though.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Why do we need an ad condemning murders! ? ! ?
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
Definetely like the way you used an older ad and compared it to this one. Didn't see to much of that in general. Good job and hopefully you find someone to debate this.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
I think is more Gillette increasing their public relations or virtue signalling but the advert does give you more evidence than my side. Mine is based on a business wants to make money. How to get people to buy your products is to make people aware of them. Somehow this translates to selective men are bad which they thought would be good for their image. I am sure men mostly buy Gillete products and I didn't want to buy a razor from them when watching it and comments and the like to dislike ratio also agrees.

Basically someone in advertising should be fired for such an awful way of making people aware and wanting to buy Gillete products. If not then Gillete openly admit to wanting their business to fail.