Smooosh
Arganger

The reason YOU cannot disprove solipsism is because your NOT REAL!!!!

Smooosh

Pro

Prove to "us" that "we" exist.
I (smooosh) will represent "us"/we!
You can represent your damm self!

I can see through your ruse. I've wondered all my life, "am I the only one who is real?" and now I know that you and everyone I know are just illusions or extensions of myself!
I've put a little twist in this debate. The focus of the debate will be from cons point of view. Cons objective is to simply prove existence happens outside his/her experience. Con must prove to us that we are not just illusions in a universe made entirely for con which only con exists in!
Arganger

Con

If everything else was fake, I think I would add a few actually likeable people or at least give myself a way to change it. I don't like this planet so why would I make it? Why would I create traumatic events for me to go through?

I will start with that.
Smooosh

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this challenge, I was starting to think nobody would!!!

First off, I have to say I'm truly heartbroken to hear about your difficult situation. I can't pretend to know your situation or think that I can help, sadly all I can offer is perspective. I was 16yrs old once (a loooong time ago), I dreaded every moment I was awake, and sleep only offered nightmares. I guess it would be shallow of me to consider your grief to be typical teenage growing pains, but I was a deeply troubled teenager. I remember one day I decided to end my life. I gave away some of my things, I didn't consider anything to be a valuable to me any longer. It was like a great weight was taken off my shoulder now that I no longer would suffer life. Strange though, I became happy, I was even ecstatic at the thought of dying. How does this make sense, I thought. I decided to die because I thought I was suffering, but that choice brought me happiness. If I'm still capable of such happiness, maybe I should let my life play out and see what it may still have in store for me. It took a while for me to realize that my additude toward life affects how I feel about life. Not to say that if you have a good additude toward life it will rid you of traumatic situations, sadly those things are circumstantial. Buddha teaches that if we didn't have bad situations or people who make us miserable in our lives, we couldn't truly appreciate the happiness we experience (I'm paraphrasing, this isn't a direct quote). If all our lives were filled with everything we could ever want without difficulty or unhappiness, then the happiness would no longer make us happy, it would become mundane and it would be difficult to want to continue living, we would no longer be able to achieve happiness, only redundancy. We need unhappiness and difficulty to help us appreciate the beauty and happiness we sometimes have.

Oddly enough, my preachy rant does fit into my argument. Solipsism is a radical philosophical extension of idealism. Idealism is in opposition to materialism. Some forms of idealism basically say that our beliefs and additudes actually effect our universe, even in a physical manner. https://www.popularmechanics.com.... It sadens me to see so many people give into the evils of nihilism when even as we speak, science and technology and philosophy are revealing that we have more influence over our universe then we ever dreamed we could. Nihilism is the prevailing additude today. Why? I don't know. I know that I may sound like an idealistic lunatic who's detached from reality when I go on my "additude effects our lives" rants. I know that a good additude and a smile isn't going to stop a broken child from storming into his school with a gun and committing such useless carnage without reason. Another thing I do know is that those types of acts are done by individuals who think life is useless or meaningless, they don't do it oit of love, all they know is nihilism. I've been there, and after awhile I became sick and tired of being sick and tired. The only true way I can find to combat the decadence is to arm myself with a better additude toward life and others. I don't believe in decadence, and I discredit nihilism.
Arganger

Con

If I was going to add unhappiness to my life, I don't think it would be what I got. Most of my life has been mind numbingly boring.

I accidentally let myself run low on time, so I have one main argument to give you. If I was the only one whom existed, than why can you think? The same goes for the voters. As long as the person who reads this thinks, I cannot be the only one who exists.
Smooosh

Pro

Oh hunny, nobody who knows me ever accused me of thinking. Besides, what if your life is just a dream and everyone you meet is just the embodiment of aspects of yourself? For all you know, every conversation with every person you've ever met could actually be a conversation with yourself. Lets suppose your a character in a sims game, it may seem to you that you are having genuine dialogue with everyone you meet, but the fact of the matter is those supposed conversations are just an illusion and all the other characters are just illusions too!
Arganger

Con

Even if you do not think, as long as anyone voting can my point stands. Proving it to myself on the other hand is a little more challenging.

If my life was a dream, it would only make sense for other people to exist still, so that I would have a place to come from and a world to be dreaming from.

My life is uninteresting. If my brain created this to give me something to do, I find it more likely we would be in japan during the boshin war.

Thank you for the argument and good day.
Posted by Smooosh 2 years ago
Smooosh
Nine legs yes. Five legs, absolutely not!!!
Posted by canis 2 years ago
canis
The same would be true for pink elephants with 5-9 legs..
Posted by Smooosh 2 years ago
Smooosh
There's no reason to think it's not real!!!
Posted by canis 2 years ago
canis
Is solipsism real. ? No reason to think it is.
Posted by Smooosh 2 years ago
Smooosh
Because there's no one to talk to except my illusions.
Posted by Mike_10-4 2 years ago
Mike_10-4
If I"m "not real," then why are you responding to my comments?
Posted by Smooosh 2 years ago
Smooosh
David_Debates, and Mike_10-4, it sounds like you two are well versed in the idea of an omnipresent existence, it shouldn't take much for either of you two gentlemen to discredit lil ol' me and my point of view, or does the reason you cannot have something to do with the fact that you're not real?
Posted by David_Debates 2 years ago
David_Debates
Nobody will accept the debate because no one exists, smooosh. Stop claiming the debate exists, and stop claiming that there is someone else's "point of view" (whoever the hell Con is, anyway).

Now that I realize it, you do a whole hell of a lot of claiming, smooosh. You sure you're a proponent of solipsism?
Posted by Mike_10-4 2 years ago
Mike_10-4
So you say, "at least people are talking to me." Where in the same comment you stated, "I don"t claim that anything outside my mind exist." I think you just made a "claim."
Posted by Smooosh 2 years ago
Smooosh
I don't claim that anything outside my mind exists, I just cannot disprove that anything outside mind exists. The debate will be from cons point of view, and con must prove to us that we exist outside of his/her mind. (I'm starting to get the feeling that nobody's going to except the challenge anyway, but that's okay, at least people are talking to me.)