Factsman
FT

The second amendment should be completely abolished

FT has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Factsman

Con

I am pro-gun. I do not believe in gun control. It does not work. Although I am open to new thoughts. Change my mind.
FT

Pro

So do terrorists, babies, felons and prisoners have a right to bear arms?
Factsman

Con

I do not think you should abolish the second amendment. There are about 11,000 gun homicides a year. However, 500,000-3000000 lives are saved through the defensive use of a firearm. And that's from the CDC (a government-funded source). And for the record 4/5 of the gun homicides are committed by illegal firearm owners. They bought them illegally. (Washington Post) CHECKMATE
FT

Pro

"I do not think you should abolish the second amendment. There are about 11,000 gun homicides a year. However, 500,000-3000000 lives are saved through the defensive use of a firearm. And that's from the CDC (a government-funded source)."

So how exactly do they measure the range of people "saved" by firearms? Like if I just shot and killed a dude pointing an AR-15 at everyone, how do I calculate the number of people "saved"? Hence define "saved".

Might want to increase the character limit too n
Factsman

Con

"Like if I just shot and killed a dude pointing an AR-15 at everyone, how do I calculate the number of people "saved"?"
In your example, the CDC would count that as 1 person saved. They only count the person using the firearm in self-defense to prevent their own death. Like a home invasion.
FT

Pro

So can you give me information on what gun laws exist in the top ten countries with the lowest crime rate per 100,000? Do the same for the top ten countries with the highest crime rate and see what you get. Might want to see how the US compares to those twenty countries also.
Factsman

Con

Chicago has the strictest gun laws, and also the biggest homicide rate.
Switzerland has about 7x the gun ownership rate of the UK, but only half the homicide rate.
The U.S. has the most gun ownership rate but is ranked 83 on homicide.
Norway and Germany have a greater gun ownership rate than Canada. However, they both have smaller homicide rates than Canada.
(FBI statistical report)
I could go on forever if I didn't have 70 characters left. There are many examples on both sides of the argument.
Posted by american_citzen 3 years ago
american_citzen
The right to a well-armed militia and the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. As we all know that is the second amendment. As we all know we have God-given right of Life, liberty, and property which was changed to a pursuit of happiness. However, the ninth amendment states that no one can use their rights to infringe others rights. We cannot use the second amendment to kill or to use the fact people are being killed to take away the second amendment. However, by law, we can take away your rights if passed by a jury and sufficient evidence is given. Therefore we see that if a person proves they are unworthy to have, life, liberty or guns we can take that away from them. In other terms taking away, the second amendment is unconstitutional. Taking away any amendment is unconstitutional and if we ever in a terrible future do so. It would certainly end America as we know it.
Posted by MarkK.1068 3 years ago
MarkK.1068
This country is too big to police gun ownership. I'd make sure I had a gun if the 2nd Amendment were abolished. They're easy to come by. I would never take my gun outside my home except to target shoot. And I have a Mossberg 500 12 gage pistol grip with 18.5" barrel. 6 in the magazine +1. So, I don't need much target practice. It's the best home protection weapon there is. My point is I only have it for home defense.
Posted by MarkK.1068 3 years ago
MarkK.1068
The 2nd Amendment abolished? Why? Would you prefer killers use cars?
Guns are inanimate objects. They can't kill people. Murder is illegal and carries more time than any crime. So, if someone is willing to break that law, they'll break illegally owning a gun without thinking twice. Only law abiding citizens would lose guns. Go to Texas and hold up a bank. You'll be dead before you leave. Why? Because citizens carry guns. There's other states just like that. And I'll be damned before I cower in my own home waiting for police. I've got something for anyone who wants to enter my home without my permission.
Posted by gavin.ogden 3 years ago
gavin.ogden
Sorry, I meant PRO is on the ropes. Sorry for the confusion.
Posted by gavin.ogden 3 years ago
gavin.ogden
Con"s start is quite bad. You better step it up if you don"t want to be humiliated.