Adriaan
RationalMadman

The self is an illusion

The Voting Period Ends In
Updated: 3 days ago Status: Voting Period

Adriaan

Pro

There's no centralized self in the brain but it's composed of multiple autonomous regions. People think that there is a thinker of thoughts but in reality there is just the thoughts. Different patterns of neurons in the brain compete with each other and if one pattern wins over the other a certain decision has been made. There is no central part in the brain that collects all the information and decides what to do with it.
RationalMadman

Con

The brain's sections form the. . . Well, Actually it's unclear which:

1. Structure in which the self is physiologically rperesented to be flowing through.
  2. The actual mechanical foundation for the self to operate via mechanistic means.
If the self is an illusion, Do tell me who is the one experiencing the illusion. It is the self.

If you are telling me an onlooker is experiencing you or we are all a Buddhist-like 'one' and reality is experiencing parts of itself then that means the self isn't an illusion, It's just not all of the self is revealed at one time to the self.
Adriaan

Pro

"If the self is an illusion, Do tell me who is the one experiencing the illusion. It is the self. "

That's an interesting reaction. Obviously the self is not experiencing the illusion of the self since then it wouldn't be an illusion. Experience of the illusion and experience in general is not really happening to a central self. The brain is a collection of different simpler parts that together form a more complex structure that manages to maintain itself. Now do you want to call the brain as a whole the self? Fine, But then every cell, Tissue or organ in your body is a self. Every group of animals or every society would be a self. However this is not the definition of the self I'm arguing against. I argue against a central part of the brain or something invisible that is receiving information from the brain or controlling it. This, I think, Just does not exist.

"If you are telling me an onlooker is experiencing you or we are all a Buddhist-like 'one' and reality is experiencing parts of itself then that means the self isn't an illusion, It's just not all of the self is revealed at one time to the self. "

I agree that if an onlooker is experiencing you there would still be a self, However I don't see any reason why this would be the case. The idea that reality as a whole is a self kind of comes back to what I mentioned earlier about the simpler parts forming more complex structures, Which you could call a self. Again, If you want to call this the self, Fine. This is just not the self I'm arguing against.
RationalMadman

Con

When you point out the sheer insanity of the self experiencing the illusion of the self you hit on the contradiction in the resolution, Not in my case, Dearest Adrian. <3
Adriaan

Pro

It is a quite a difficult and counter-intuitive thing to think the self is an illusion as it is a very strong one. The subject itself really can give me some existential crises. Anyways, Thanks for your reaction. Made me think about it a bit more for sure.
RationalMadman

Con

Opponent admits defeat and thanks me for it, GG.
Posted by Sonofcharl 6 days ago
Sonofcharl
@ Adriaan

I would suggest that vi_spex is correct.

"The self" is philosophical fluff really.

An attempt to detach thought from the reality of physiology.
Without the reality of physiology how would "The self" function?
Posted by vi_spex 1 week ago
vi_spex
Being myself is not like getting a fly in my eye and pretend like it dosnt hurt or there isnt a problem. . Or not like bumping my knee into something and pretend like it dosnt hurt
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 3 days ago
dsjpk5
AdriaanRationalMadmanTied