Mage_of_Tal
Mingodalia

The universe could have been anything.

Mingodalia has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Mage_of_Tal

Pro

We all know the basic physics of the universe. However, I, lately have been wondering if it could have been ANYTHING so long as all of the physics worked together. Think about it, there was no reason for physics to be the way they were. I am religious, and I believe god created everything, but could he have made it anyway he wanted? Could it have been that physics would be wonky and crazy and mind-bending and so complicated that you couldn't even wrap your head around it? I believe so. It doesn't seem like there is any specific reason for it to be the way it is.
Mingodalia

Con

I accept the debate. Good luck.
Mage_of_Tal

Pro

Thank you. I have already pre-stated my arguments above, however redundant. Remember, there really isn't proof, so this is just pure conjecture.
Mingodalia

Con

**We all know the basic physics of the universe. However, I, lately have been wondering if it could have been ANYTHING so long as all of the physics worked together.**

For all we know, physics itself is abstract, and is just a created system by a God who does not consist from the laws of physics that he created. A video game programmer can give any "rules of physics" to his video game. He does not himself live under these created conditions, nor does He come from them.

**Think about it, there was no reason for physics to be the way they were.**

There could have been a reason. You say in your next dialogue that you believe in God. Perhaps God had some desire for it to be this exact way. Perhaps physics, as we know physics to be, was one of many prototypes of "natural laws", and God saw this one as "the best" or at least "the most suited to get His desired results".

** I am religious, and I believe god created everything, but could he have made it anyway he wanted?**

I would think so. A video game programmer could create a virtual reality or a simulation similar to our reality. He could also have created said reality to consist in a different way.

For example, a reality where you see yourself from a helicopter view like in a lot of old arcade and Nintendo games. Your consciousness would exist outside of the body that you control.

Another example might be a reality where time and physical matter does not exist, aging never occurs, everything is abstract, there are no emotions, no feelings, just data processing by a conscious mind that can manifest anything abstractly. In said reality, perhaps we absorb numbers and words like food and are literally built up by positive energy being manifested at us.

In yet another reality, we could be in the middle of abstract white noise, and the only communication is music and vibrations.

And in a final reality, we could all be a hive mind network, and physics could be manipulated simply by changing the binary code in our mind. Suddenly water would consist of unknown elements and be able to dance and walk, and then drop back into a pool of motionless liquid.

**Could it have been that physics would be wonky and crazy and mind-bending and so complicated that you couldn't even wrap your head around it? I believe so. It doesn't seem like there is any specific reason for it to be the way it is.**

Indeed.
Mage_of_Tal

Pro

Thank you for your intellectual and creative arguments. I would like to point out that it states in Genesis 1:27: "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." Which seems unimportant unless you consider my religions belief that man shall become like God. This link will explain this in full. https://www.lds.org...
If you have read through this, this starts to make sense. We can assume that God was once like us, and decided to create us like him, which suggests he could have done otherwise. Sure, it might have been in his interests to create us like him, but why? The way I see it is that once we become like God, we won't be mindless zombie copies. (not actual doctrine) We will have our own personalities. I might create a video game themed world. You might make a world where senses aren't even comparable to ours and we as humans would be instantly obliterated. Maybe when we become like God, we will have more senses than just our five, so we can interact with other dimensions. These are my arguments. Thank you.
Posted by Mingodalia 3 years ago
Mingodalia
It won't let me put my argument and seems stuck.
Posted by tanner_1230 3 years ago
tanner_1230
Masterful only two things I know for sure that are infinite...
Human stupidity and the amount of zubats in a dark cave...
Posted by Mage_of_Tal 3 years ago
Mage_of_Tal
If by the "god claim" you mean the whole genesis thing, make sure you check it out before you start ragging on it. You might say it was "seven days" but remember that in the scriptures, it mentions one day to him is a thousand years to us. I don't remember all the details, I thank you for agreeing with me on some of this, and I will make a debate about the genesis code in the future.
Posted by Masterful 3 years ago
Masterful
The multiverse theory suggests there are infinite universes, but literal infinity is impossible. There is nothing we know of that's infinite.
Posted by Sonofcharl 3 years ago
Sonofcharl
There was the Universe.
And then there was Physics.
Posted by tanner_1230 3 years ago
tanner_1230
Disagree the multiverse theory is self defeating. My line of reasoning (correct me if I have a misrepresentation) there are infinite universes where anything is possible. Therefore there should also be infinite universes where you could travel to our universe. Of those infinite universes there should be an infinite number of people coming to our planet to tell us there are infinite universes.
Posted by MagicAintReal 3 years ago
MagicAintReal
Yeah, it turns out that the laws of physics themselves are arbitrary and, given the possibility of a multiverse, what you posit about different laws of physics is completely reasonable.
The god claim is still ridiculous, but this idea that the laws don't have to be the way that they are makes perfect sense.