TwiggyStone
asta

The wage gap doesn't exist

TwiggyStone has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

TwiggyStone

Pro

I am arguing that the gender pay gap doesn't exist. First round is acceptance.
asta

Con

Although I believe the wage gap is due to factors other then potential workplace sexism, I believe it exists. I accept.
TwiggyStone

Pro

Since the 1963 Equal Pay act, It has been illegal to pay women less. The reason why modern women aren't making as much money is because of the life choices each gender make. Men are more likely to ask for promotions(1), They are more likely to succeed negotiations in interviews(2), They work more hours(3), They take higher paying jobs(4), And they're more likely to accept promotions(5). There isn't a gender pay gap, There's a gender earnings gap. Men have earned their money while women haven't.

(1) Research shows men are four times more likely than women to ask for a salary raise, And economist Linda Babcock of Carnegie Mellon University says this has a snowball effect. - https://www. Npr. Org/2011/02/14/133599768/ask-for-a-raise-most-women-hesitate
(2)Men are more likely to ask for what they want. Cultural norms may be at play here, Since historically it has been acceptable for men to be assertive in the business world, While women who are tend to be viewed as aggressive or difficult to work with. Https://www. Careersolvers. Com/interviews/salary-negotiation-are-there-differences-between-men-and-women/
(3)Employed men work an average of 42 minutes more per day than employed women. 42 minutes might not seem like much, But that is an extra 3. 5 hours a week or 14 hours a month. Https://www. Forbes. Com/sites/karinagness/2016/06/30/new-report-men-work-longer-hours-than-women/#7b674a0818b4
(4)In the most lucrative professions, Women make up less than 30 percent in each role. Https://www. Cnbc. Com/2017/04/03/women-are-scarce-among-the-highest-paying-jobs. Html
(5)Research has found that men are more likely than women to engage in dominant or aggressive behaviors, To initiate negotiations, And to self-select into competitive environments. Https://hbr. Org/2015/09/explaining-gender-differences-at-the-top
asta

Con

I'm not saying the gap is due to sexism, Men make more because they tend to work harder in the workplace and they tend to have better paying jobs. However, The wage gap still exists, Men still make more then women it's just not motivated by supposed workplace sexism (https://www. Bls. Gov/cps/cpsaat39. Pdf). The wage gap therefore isn't even bad. But it still exists.
TwiggyStone

Pro

No disrespect, But like I said earlier, There is a gender earnings gap, Not a wage gap. Men on general have earned more, Women haven't. I realize how poor my word choice was when I created this, And I'm sorry, But the show must go on.
asta

Con

You should have said, "The wage gap is due to sexism" and labeled yourself as con. What's the difference between a gender earnings gap and a wage gap?
Posted by TwiggyStone 3 years ago
TwiggyStone
Heh yeah. Not your fault.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
Sorry that DDO screwed our links.
Posted by TwiggyStone 3 years ago
TwiggyStone
Neat. I like playing Devil's Advocate too sometimes. It's harder to win an easy statement like "Killing is bad" or something and it's so rewarding when you do.
Posted by TwiggyStone 3 years ago
TwiggyStone
Posted by AIRhino 3 years ago
AIRhino
I whole heartedly agree with you. I was thinking of accepting just to play the devil's advocate, But I agree with you completely :D